Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should be supplied when renting?

Options
  • 05-11-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

right so at the minute im renting a 4 bed house with my boyfriend in a nice housing estate.. we have a front and back garden but no lawn mower. my neighbours are very nice and take turns to mow the grass out the front when they are doing their own but the back garden is in a right state..

there was no lawn mower supplied with the house and even though my mam offered to give me her old one there's no shed or garage to put it in either.

anyone know if these things are supposed to be provided or is the mess in the garden my own problem??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Generally, if a lawnmower is provided, you maintain the grass yourself. If there is none provided (as in your case), it is normally up to the landlord to maintain the gardens - either they mow it themselves, or pay someone to do so. If you rented through an agency/estate agent they normally send someone round to maintain the garden/cut the grass.

Does it state anywhere in your lease about upkeep of outdoor areas? I'd be getting onto your landlord to either have the garden maintained, or ask for both a small outdoor storage place (even one of those plastic bunkers might do) and a lawnmower if they want their garden kept neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

As per the new regulations that came into force in 2009, it is up to the landlord to maintain the outside of the building including the gardens.

You can agree differently if this is specifically discussed but I don't think anything in the lease can go against the act if you disagree.

Get onto the landlord - it's his/her responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Xiney wrote: »
    As per the new regulations that came into force in 2009, it is up to the landlord to maintain the outside of the building including the gardens.

Do you have a source for this, i've never heard of this?

Advertisement