Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford War Dead

• 05-11-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

The 'Waterford War Dead' listing the 1136 men and women who died during ww1 and just after will be launched in the Library in Dungarvan on Friday December 3rd at 8pm.
    Free lookups are now available, just ask.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Tom,just out of curiosity is John Condon still listed as being fourteen at his time of death or has any of the research that was done on this casualty over the past few years by people altered any of the information on this young soldier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Hello Brendan.
    I keep away from conspiracy theories and just put in what I find. If I found his age as 19 I would have put it in. Life is too short and I dont give opinions anway. I do know that there was nothing about his age in the papers at the time.
    Here in Condons readout, enjoy.
    CONDON, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Battalion. Age at death; 14. Date of Death: 24-May-1915. Service No: 6322. Born in Trinity Without, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of John and Mary Condon, of Waterford. Youngest known battle casualty of the war.
    Munster Express.
    A special court was held in the Court House on Saturday morning before Judge Gerald Griffin, R. M. , at which a man named Thomas Ryan, residing at Harrington’s Lane, was brought up in custody on a charge of fraud in connection with the effects of a soldier killed in action. The allegation was that the defendant got hold of a Office form and drew a sum coming to the father of John Condon, the deceased. The charge was as follows; - “That he did between the 2nd-July-1915 and the 12th December-1915, forge and utter two documents, viz, Army Form No 39 and a War Office money order for £4-9s-9d, in the name and prejudice of one John Condon, and did obtain the said sum by fraud and false pretences. ”
    Mr Maxwell, D. I. Prosecuted.
    John Condon was the first witness examined. He corroborated the deposition made by him on which defendant was arrested. None of the eight letters produced were written by him. He wrote to the War Office about his dead son’s effects, but did not ask them to address the reply to him in the care of Thomas Ryan. He never signed Army Form, No 39, which purported to bear his signature.
    When asked had he any question to put to the witness, defendant said he was guilty, and added that he was prepared to pay the money back in instalments.
    His mother, who was in court, he was guilty because he had not enough money for drink.
    Rev. M. F. Walsh, C. C. , Convent Hill stated-I remember a man calling to the Presbytery last July with an Army form. I did not know him. He said his son was killed in the war and he wanted to get his effects. He showed me a form (produced) and asked me to fill it up. He said his name was John Condon. I filled the form for him and I believe he signed it in my presence. It is my usual practice to get people tendering me such forms to write their names when the form is already signed. When I returned off holidays I found that the form had been sent back to be completed. I searched for Condon but could not find him. After some months I again got a letter from the War Office about the same matter. This referred me to John Condon, of 7 Harrington’s Lane, I went there and found the man that gave the name of John Condon. He is defendant now present. I completed the form and gave it to him. Some weeks ago I met him in Barrack Street. I spoke to him and he said “ I got that money”.
    Sergeant Scollard gave evidence of arrest. When cautioned the accused said “You made a mistake. There are more Ryans in Harrington’s Lane than me. ”
    Sergeant Thomas Murphy, Recruiting Sergeant, stated that in July last defendant enlisted in the 7th Leinster’s. He identified the man’s signature.
    Defendant denied that he joined the Leinster’s at that time. He had been discharged from the Royal Irish.
    Accused and remanded till Monday.
    On Monday morning Mr Gerald Griffin, R. M. , sitting in the City Court, resumed the magisterial investigation into this case.
    Mrs Ryan, Postmistress at the Barrack Street Office, stated—I see War Office money order No, 68601 for £4-9s-9d (produced). It was initialled y me and paid in my office in December last, but the date of the month I cannot make out. It purports to be made out to John Condon, but I do not recollect who drew the money. I don’t recollect seeing the prisoner in the office. This form of money order is only used by the War Office.
    This was all the evidence offered, and the accused, who made no statement, was returned for trial to the Quarter Sessions.
    Grave or Memorial Reference: LVI. F. 8. Cemetery: Poelcapelle British Cemetery in Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 soldaten

hello there, , im a ww1/2 renactor with battle group south, i see you have a book out the waterford war dead,, my grand uncle is in it, he is peter o brien 9338 royal irish guards from fourmilewater, i have his medals, ive been researching him for the past couple of years, im trying to get his file from the army, do you know how would i get this? or would you have any more info on him? thanks! brendan

As a member of Battle Group South you should know me by now. The only information I have on Pte O'Brien is in the book, however I did not consult ancestry so that should be your next port of call. I can tell you that his Will did not survive and he is not mentioned in any of the Waterford newspapers of the time. You are very lucky that the was in the Irish Guards as they are one of the few Units whose soldiers records are kept in their Regimental Museum. Start here;-
    http://www.theguardsmuseum.com/
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Tom,

Not sure if this is one you've got already.

I've just acquired a copy of "East, West An Irish Doctor's Memories" by Dr Charles Stewart Parnell Hamilton DSO. Family originating from Waterford though he was born in London. He mentions that his brother Redmond was killed serving with the Canadians in 1917. Redmond's full name was Henry Edward Redmond Hamilton, born Waterford:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=59729

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.02-e.php?image_url=http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc005/372897a.gif&id_nbr=440788

Their mother was Sarah Mary Redmond from Waterford.

Their cousin was killed with the Australian forces

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=160996

Johnny

• Advertisement

Hello Johnny, yes he is in there;-
    HAMILTON, HENRY EDWARD REDMOND. Rank: Captain. Regiment or Service: Canadian Engineers. Unit; 3rd Battalion, Canadian Railway Troops. Date of Death: 19-May-1917. Age at Death,. Born, 06-June-1880. Next of kin listed as Margaret Farron Hamilton (Wife), 63 Douglas Lodge, Vancouver, British Columbia.
    Born in Waterford. Enlisted in Vancouver, British Columbia on 11-September-1916 while living in 63 Douglas Lodge, Vancouver, British Columbia. Occupation on enlistment, Civil Engineer. Age at enlistment, 36. He had prior military experience with the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. Completed his Officers' Declaration Paper in September 1916 for the 239th Battalion C. E. F. Killed in Action by shellfire.
    A Canadian Newspaper;
    Captain Hamilton Dead in France.
    Vancouver, B. C. , May 28. —Word has been received here of the death in France of Captain H. E. Hamilton, of the railway Construction Corporation. He was a Civil Engineer, and was connected with the construction of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. He was a cousin of John Redmond, the Irish leader.
    Grave or Memorial Reference: X. B. 2. Cemetery: Villers Station Cemetery in France.

thanks for checking that Tom.

In C S P Hamilton's book he states that John Redmond wasn't a cousin but was a friend of his father. He does list Cornelius Redmond, Waterford Mayor and Redmond newspaper men in Waterford as members of immediate family.

Thank you Johnny.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 plumjaws

Greetings, is there any information on Richar Macklin who was killed late in 1916. He was married to Ellen Power of Boreenatra, Dungarvan.
    Thanks

There you go
    MACKLIN, R. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit: 7th Battalion. Age at death; 35. Date of Death: 12-May-1916. Service No: 2453. He is not listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War and he is not listed with Irelands Memorial Records. Supplementary information; Husband of Ellen Macklin, of Lower Strand St, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: V. C. 45. Cemetery: Bethune Town Cemetery in France.

• Advertisement

He's in the same cemetery as my Great Uncle, James William Shepley.

medal card has him as "Died of Wounds". Entered France 17th Dec 1915. 1915 Star, BWM and VM awarded.

SDGW has him as Magill (as does Ireland's Memorial records)

Name: Richard Magill
    Birth Place: Ashton-Under-Lyne, Lancs
    Residence: Belfast
    Death Date: 12 May 1916
    Death Location: France & Flanders
    Enlistment Location: Belfast
    Regiment: Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians)
    Battalion: 7th Battalion
    Number: 2453
    Type of Casualty: Died of wounds
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

There are 81 Irishmen from the counties of Tipperary, Clare, Carlow, Laois, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Kerry, Offaly and Limerick buried in Bethune Town Cemetery.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi Tom,

I left a post on your thread on rootschat when I remembered I'd seen this thread. If you get a chance, you can respond there or PM me here or whatever.

Thanks.

I did not get a pm from you.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ally08

Hi, I have just started looking into my families past and have been told that members served and were killed in WW1, could you tell me if , Thomas Lawrence or William Lawrence are recored in your book?

There are no Lawrences in the Waterford book. The only ones I have in previous books are a William from Carlow. Where were these lads from? and are you sure they died?
    Cheers.
    Tom.

There is a William listed from Wicklow here

Hi I found that william on CWGC, I have been told by family that Thomas was wounded and returned home he was married to a Kathleen Murphy, they would be my great grandparents as for william, I was told he was a brother of Thomas and he was killed in Belgium,

There is also a Thomas listed on Ancestry also from Wicklow giving Enniskerries as his address in 1903.Have you any other details as to where they lived or what regiment or corps they may have served with?

not yet i'm finding it tough to find anything, there was a william lawrence recored in the 1901 census in waterford, he is listed as being at his uncles house on kneefes lane but the link didn't say who the uncle is ? I'm getting very lost !!!

• Advertisement

That is the William I was talking about

LAWRENCE, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
    Unit; 8th Battalion. Date of Death: 27-April-1916. Age at Death; 28. Service No: 24563. Born in Hacketstown, Co Carlow. Enlisted in Dublin while living in Moyne, Co Wicklow. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Thomas Lawrence, of Slieverue, Ballinglen, Co. Wicklow. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 127 to 129 on the Loos Memorial in France. Also listed under Hacketstown on the Great War Memorial, Milford Street, Leighlinbridge, County Carlow.

Hi, thanks for that information,I think this could be him .I would need to check if he had a brother Thomas and check a few more details, but it's the most likely match so far,:)
    If you find out anything else or no of anywhere that i might find a list of family members please let me know.
    Thanks again

You threw me a bit there when you said were they in the book? They would not be in the Waterford book because they were not from Waterford and Thomas would not be in any of the books as he survived.
    Cheer.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi all, took this photo while on a trip to Belgium awhile back. Fits into the thread I believe. A waste of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pkenmedy

Tom,

Not sure if this is one you've got already.

I've just acquired a copy of "East, West An Irish Doctor's Memories" by Dr Charles Stewart Parnell Hamilton DSO. Family originating from Waterford though he was born in London. He mentions that his brother Redmond was killed serving with the Canadians in 1917. Redmond's full name was Henry Edward Redmond Hamilton, born Waterford:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=59729

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.02-e.php?image_url=http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc005/372897a.gif&id_nbr=440788

Their mother was Sarah Mary Redmond from Waterford.

Their cousin was killed with the Australian forces

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=160996

Johnny[/Quote

Hi johnny ,
    Meet charles Hamilton on many occasions
    He was my fathers god father ,
    He was a great man
    Thomas Paul Redmond Kennedy

There you go
    HAMILTON, HENRY EDWARD REDMOND. Rank: Captain. Regiment or Service: Canadian Engineers. Unit; 3rd Battalion, Canadian Railway Troops. Date of Death: 19-May-1917. Age at Death,. Born, 06-June-1880. Next of kin listed as Margaret Farron Hamilton (Wife), 63 Douglas Lodge, Vancouver, British Columbia.
    Born in Waterford. Enlisted in Vancouver, British Columbia on 11-September-1916 while living in 63 Douglas Lodge, Vancouver, British Columbia. Occupation on enlistment, Civil Engineer. Age at enlistment, 36. He had prior military experience with the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. Completed his Officers' Declaration Paper in September 1916 for the 239th Battalion C. E. F. Killed in Action by shellfire.
    A Canadian Newspaper;
    Captain Hamilton Dead in France.
    Vancouver, B. C. , May 28. —Word has been received here of the death in France of Captain H. E. Hamilton, of the railway Construction Corporation. He was a Civil Engineer, and was connected with the construction of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. He was a cousin of John Redmond, the Irish leader.
    Grave or Memorial Reference: X. B. 2. Cemetery: Villers Station Cemetery in France.

Advertisement