Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardrive or summit..

Options
  • 05-11-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

hey *geeks :)/ :P

so, i would like to get my dad a hardrive for xmas. i think :o

i don't really know what i'm looking for, but i know he wants to be able to download movies to this yoke and then be able to plug it into the telly and watch them :confused: my cousin has one of these and he's been pining since he brought it over :rolleyes:

so basically, could someone please tell me what it is i'm looking for? :D

* 'puter genius :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

hey *geeks :)/ :P

so, i would like to get my dad a hardrive for xmas. i think :o

i don't really know what i'm looking for, but i know he wants to be able to download movies to this yoke and then be able to plug it into the telly and watch them :confused: my cousin has one of these and he's been pining since he brought it over :rolleyes:

so basically, could someone please tell me what it is i'm looking for? :D

* 'puter genius :P

The actual name excapes me but I know exactly what your on about, WD have one.

Something like this would do

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6657619/art/western-digital/wd-elements-play-2-tb-med.html

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

ah, you're wee stars, thanks lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Does he have a HD television?

Does he have a surround system?

Does he have any USB hard-drives already?

no hd tv.

no surround.

no...

this isn't sounding very good...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

no hd tv.

no surround.

no...

this isn't sounding very good...

Just wanted to check what kind of connections, capabilities and cables you might need.

The fact that he doesnt have a HDTV means that a basic (and cheaper) standard-def player might suffice. They connect to the TV using analogue (composite) cables rather than HDMI.

Such as the Western Digital TV Mini. They won't play the full range of high-def video files, but if you are not connecting to a HDTV (via HDMI) then its kind of pointless to download HD movies anyway.

That one doesnt come with storage, thats why I was wondering if he had a HDD already. But you can get portable USB drives for not too much money: Link

Just wanted to check what kind of connections, capabilities and cables you might need.

The fact that he doesnt have a HDTV means that a basic (and cheaper) standard-def player might suffice. They connect to the TV using analogue (composite) cables rather than HDMI.

Such as the Western Digital TV Mini. They won't play the full range of high-def video files, but if you are not connecting to a HDTV (via HDMI) then its kind of pointless to download HD movies anyway.

That one doesnt come with storage, thats why I was wondering if he had a HDD already. But you can get portable USB drives for not too much money: Link

thanks voodoo child :D that's great, i can start shoppin' around now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

WD TV Mini's inability to play h.264 (.mkv) should discourage anyone from getting it, no matter how keenly it is priced. Apart from HD movies, a lot of SD (standard def) content is also being encoded with that codec. I would encourage OP to look for media player that supports h.264 (.mkv).

WD TV Mini's inability to play h.264 (.mkv) should discourage anyone from getting it, no matter how keenly it is priced. Apart from HD movies, a lot of SD (standard def) content is also being encoded with that codec. I would encourage OP to look for media player that supports h.264 (.mkv).

er.. thats like a foreign language to me i'm afraid :o

i seen this http://cgi.ebay.ie/TVD-Nbox-Media-Player-View-Downloaded-Movies-TV-/260678815641?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item3cb1ab0f99

now i know i have to get memory to go with it. how many gb do you think i will need? he's not gonna need too much tbh. do i just get a usb stick? how big do they go? sorry for all the questions!

This or this (thanks Bargain Alerts) in 1TB versions, or the one Voodu posted, if on a tighter budget.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Isn't it the same issue again though? AFAIK those cheapie TVDs (and their many variants) use the usual budget codecs, so no H.264/MKV files, HiDef or not! :o

Well... how do you recommend someone spends four times the money on a media player (that will do more or less the same on the outset) without using the jargon? I detest when people use RTFM liberally, so...

When dvd-s are backed-up to a hard drive (memory unit) to be played through media players, each movie can take up a lot of space. To counter this, there are computer programs that will shrink those dvd backups. They shrink them down to about 1/5 (one fifth) of the original size with only little quality loss. The above mentioned h.264/mkv allows the dvd backups to be compressed even more (up to one tenth of the original size), again with little quality loss. This is great when moving the movie files around, given their small size. This factor should not be overlooked as most Irish internet services are quite poor and do not allow easy transfer of large files over the net.

TVD player (and WD TV Mini) will play most movie files, but not ones that are compressed (shrunk) using the h.264/mkv. Hope this helps.

Well... how do you recommend someone spends four times the money on a media player (that will do more or less the same on the outset) without using the jargon? I detest when people use RTFM liberally, so...

When dvd-s are backed-up to a hard drive (memory unit) to be played through media players, each movie can take up a lot of space. To counter this, there are computer programs that will shrink those dvd backups. They shrink them down to about 1/5 (one fifth) of the original size with only little quality loss. The above mentioned h.264/mkv allows the dvd backups to be compressed even more (up to one tenth of the original size), again with little quality loss. This is great when moving the movie files around, given their small size. This factor should not be overlooked as most Irish internet services are quite poor and do not allow easy transfer of large files over the net.

TVD player (and WD TV Mini) will play most movie files, but not ones that are compressed (shrunk) using the h.264/mkv. Hope this helps.

ah i see now ok, so that nbox thing isn't worth a fiddlers really.

thanks for explaining the importance of the h.264 thingy, sometimes i just assume these specs are not really necessary for non-geeks!

i did lol at
    about 1/5 (one fifth)
    though! hehe, i'm not that thick! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

This is a bit dearer than some of the other suggestions but it will play pretty well anything you throw at it including h.264/mkv.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-1080p-HDP-R1-Internet-Streamer/dp/B002OQPBVQ

Advertisement