Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cartrawler aka Argus Car Rentals

Options
  • 05-11-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

I just want to alert people to the following;

If you rent a car through this company they accept no responsibility for what you get.

We rented a 9 seater van on holidays in Portugal three weeks ago. We couldn't decline to take it on the night as the company (Yor Car Hire) representative met us in Arrivals and gave us the keys there. When we got to the van in the car park we discovered that it was old, battered and it wasn't possible to secure the child seats. We rang the Rep but he rejected the call so I went back in to Arrivals to speak to him but he was gone (it was around midnight and they don't have a desk). We had no option but to drive the van 50km to our destination. We discovered during the drive that the lights were very bad on the vehicle. It was lashing rain so the drive was dangerous. At one stage when I braked one of the car seats shot forward and only for my mother in law's quick action our son could have been injured.

I rang the company the following morning but every time I said something wasn't good enough the guy said that it was my opinion and his opinion was that it was fine. We insisted on going back to the Airport to have the seats changed. Before leaving I had a look at the van with the benefit of daylight and discovered that there was a big hole in the dashboard and the tyres were bald and shredding (I might see if I can post the video of the tyres up). I rang him again and told him I wanted a different van but he said again that it was my opinion and his opinion was that the tyres were fine. We drove back to the Airport.

They don't have to fit the child seats for you in Portugal - despite this the Yor Rep tried to fit them to prove they were ok but he couldn't - they were swinging all over the place when you tugged on them. He was as frustrated with all the hassle as we were and told me that his boss told him not to give us a replacement vehicle so I rang his boss again. After more of the same "that's your opinion and my opinion is that they're fine", we gave back the vehicle and rented another off Sixt Car Rental (who felt sorry for us and did us a good deal and refused to take authorisation for a deposit on my Credit Card in case we would be left short).

A staff member in the airport told us that the reason some car hire companies operate from the car park is that the Airport won't have them in the terminal because they are renting defective vehicles.

I wrote a detailed letter to Cartrawler on our return. They told me at first that there were no issues with the van. When I told them that I had video evidence of the issues they then told me that any booking I made with them is made with the rental vehicle provider and not them and that when I made a booking with them I am bound by and deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions of the car rental company in question.

I really don't give a damn about what is in their Terms and Conditions. They took my money and as a result I ended up paying more than double the agreed rental fee. In addition half of our first day in Portugal was ruined by this.

I wonder - when the Directors of Cartrawler go on holidays do they drive their kids around in vehicles which have shredding tyres and child seats which aren't attached to the seats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To the best of my knowledge Cartrawler is a company that puts car hire companies in touch with people looking to hire cars, i.e. they act as an intermediary. What did the T&Cs you accepted say?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I used Argus once, and would never use them again. Their sole purpose is to collect their cut, and if you have a problem, they're not interested in solving it.

I arrived at Prague Airport where I was shown a bill for over €150 more than I was quoted, simply down to the fact that the car wasn't the type that I'd booked. After arguing the toss for a while, I was eventually given an amended invoice and went on my merry way.

When I got back back to Ireland, my credit card was charged the extra €150 odd, despite the invoice having been amended. It took six time-wasting weeks of dealing with Argus, and at the end of that, my credit card was credited with about 75% of the extra. I contacted them several times after that and they just ignored me.

I've used Nova Carhire several times since, with no problems, but I wouldn't touch Argus with a barge-pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

I've sued them successfully before.

They had a solicitor try and argue that all the liability rested with the foreign company and that they were just a booking agent. The way the judge saw it, if you make a contract with them to supply something and that isn't honoured properly then they are liable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ok this is interesting, I used Argus (and their Car Trawler agent) this year when I went to Germany and everything went fine with them. I had ordered a a VW Golf or equivalent and ended up with a new BMW 1 series with 11,000kms on the clock so was very much delighted.

As a young driver under 25 I was charged a daily fee but knew about that. I couldn't fault them for the world and they were €100 cheaper than booking Sixt direct even though it was Sixt were Argus's agents anyway! Sixt are a really good company and I would hire with them again.

I guess with Argus it is the luck of the draw and the best thing before booking would be to clarify which actual car rental firm that would be renting to you, the likes of Sixt, Europcar or Hertz are grand (having rented from all three without issue anytime) however it sounds like the OP got some mickey mouse operation in Portugal and it is always best to rent during normal business hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stinicker wrote: »
    Ok this is interesting, I used Argus (and their Car Trawler agent) this year when I went to Germany and everything went fine with them. I had ordered a a VW Golf or equivalent and ended up with a new BMW 1 series with 11,000kms on the clock so was very much delighted.

As a young driver under 25 I was charged a daily fee but knew about that. I couldn't fault them for the world and they were €100 cheaper than booking Sixt direct even though it was Sixt were Argus's agents anyway! Sixt are a really good company and I would hire with them again.

I guess with Argus it is the luck of the draw and the best thing before booking would be to clarify which actual car rental firm that would be renting to you, the likes of Sixt, Europcar or Hertz are grand (having rented from all three without issue anytime) however it sounds like the OP got some mickey mouse operation in Portugal and it is always best to rent during normal business hours.

My Argus problem related to a Sixt rental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

dudara wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge Cartrawler is a company that puts car hire companies in touch with people looking to hire cars, i.e. they act as an intermediary. What did the T&Cs you accepted say?

The Terms and Conditions don't affect your statutory rights. You can't take someones money and then claim to have nothing to do with the transaction.

Filling stations used to display signs on their car washes stating that they accepted no responsibility for damage caused to cars. These signs were meaningless as a product has to be fit for purpose.

It's a poor reflection on Cartrawler that they seek to hide behind their T&C when I stated that I had video to back up my claim - what happened to being honourable.

Referring someone without payment (through a link on a businesses web page) is one thing, but if you take payment, I have no doubt that you have a duty of care.

If you could distance yourself by saying you were only an introducer everyone could structure their business like this. I could set up a website 'referring' buyers to back alley pharmacists, loan sharks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Never used Argus, but do use Autoeurope, have done now around 15 different times in France, The Netherlands, Germany, Ireland and the UK.

Never had an issue once in that time, they always use one of the big rental crowds (Hertz,Sixt,Europecar,Avis) and you pay everything up front, nothing when you pickup (only for fuel when you drop back, or drop the car back full)

The Conditions are clearly stated on the pickup form as well, i.e. it says do not take the extra insurance with the Rental company if you've taken the refundable excess with Autoeurope and the rental with Autoeurope was always cheaper than booking directly :)

In Ireland i'd usually pay around 60 euros for 4 days on a small rental.
    Week before last I paid 158 for 7 days with refundable excess for a Mondeo 2.0 TDCI, was a 2009 and in perfect nick.

Always had cheaper quotes than carhire3000 or Argus .. and the one time I did need to call them (regarding residency rules with your license) they answered within 15 minutes :)

Update;

Yor Car Hire rejected my request for a refund.

Cartrawler requested my request for a refund.

I wrote to Bank of Ireland. They didn't give a sh1t but they passed my correspondence on to Mastercard. Mastercard rejected my video evidence. They didn't give any reason - they just said I should have got an independent incident report. I asked Bank of Ireland three times what an independent incident report was but I didn't get an answer. I put it to them that this belief people had that buying with a credit card gives you some sort of insurance cover is obviously not true - they didn't disagree.

I put up some posts on the web Cartrawler swung into action. Emailed me stating that they were very concerned about my experience. I told them to get lost.

I issued a letter to Cartrawler and Yor Car Hire informing them both that I was taking them to the Irish Small Claims court and when I had my ruling I was going to apply to have the judgment recognised in Portugal. Got a full refund from both companies within a couple of weeks. Yor Car Hire stupidly rang me to tell me that I didn't deserve a refund but they were giving me one because a solicitor would cost more - how stupid was that. Any company with an ounce of professionalism would have issued an apology and garnered some goodwill. Cartrawler didn't have the decency to write to me at all or say sorry. Anyway, I guess the refund says enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Can you post up the video now that it's all refunded? I'm curious.

Zab wrote: »
    Can you post up the video now that it's all refunded? I'm curious.

Please do not post up the video.

• Advertisement

Please do not post up the video.

How come?

It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

I think it does, here there seems to be 2 totally different sides of the story here both think they are totally wronged, and the one piece of evidence that may decide who's right. I don't doubt the OP story about the rental but I have used Argus/Cartrawler over 10 times and never had a problem even when a car damaged a wing on my rental in a carpark my insurance covered everything no excess. So I want to know are they that inept if I ever have a similar problem to the Op's or is there over exaggeration taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'd like to see the video too. OP is saying the rental was unsafe and not fit for purpose. Also saying Bank of Ireland and mastercard rejected the "evidence" and basically told her they weren't interested.

This thread would colour my opinion of Argus, BOI and Mastercard in a very negative way. But if all three parties disagreed with the OP then I don't know who to believe.

This is a matter between the OP and the company in question. In the potential case of any legal dispute, I do not want any possible evidence posted here on Boards.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

PM the users who want the video a youtube link, that will absolve boards.ie or rather their shy owners of responsibility.

Chipboard hasn't even said that he wants to release the video. I also misread and thought it was of the whole van rather than just the tyres.

However, surely it's just a video of a car he rented while on holiday? The companies involved have already refunded him and are not threatening legal action.

If you want to discuss the ins and outs of this, then please create a thread in the Feedback forum. Stop clogging up this thread about this matter.

dudara

I am only coming back to this now not having looked at it in months. I can't believe that anyone would have a problem with me posting up the video or a link to it. There is no legal case here because I got a refund (note that I didn't get a refund when I proved I was wronged but only when I made some noise about it). The refund I received didn't have any conditions such as that I desist from speaking about it (and I wouldn't have accepted it if it did). As it happens I am not that familiar with video technology and I'm not sure how to convert the files to upload them to Youtube but I now think that I might have a bloody good try.

It was one thing when Cartrawler, Yor Car Hire, Bank of Ireland and Mastercard were doing all in their power to prevent me getting fair play but Boards. If I didn't know better I would think that big business was sticking together.

gpf101 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the video too. OP is saying the rental was unsafe and not fit for purpose. Also saying Bank of Ireland and mastercard rejected the "evidence" and basically told her they weren't interested.

This thread would colour my opinion of Argus, BOI and Mastercard in a very negative way. But if all three parties disagreed with the OP then I don't know who to believe.

Just to clarify gpf101, the only company that disagreed with me was Yor Car Hire. The other companies just didn't want to refund me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 naashead

hi there

Finally got around to getting my own boards.ie account so am keen to share this story. I rented a car from Copenhagen airport last August for a weeks holidays with family. Cost €300, good value, or so I thought! Returned it full of diesel, no scratches etc..

Got my visa bill next month and noticed I was charged €580, not 300! Spent an hour trying the Argus phone number in Dublin but could not get through to a human. So dropped them a polite email, explaining the situation. The reply I got from Car Trawler was: 'Sorry, but because you have lodged your complaint 30 days after returning the car, our terms and conditions state we are not obliged to help you'.

To cut a long story short, i wrote to Bank of Ireland Visa. They took a compliance case against them and 3 months later i got the 280 back.

I suppose Argus reckons a) some people won't notice it on their bill, b) some people won't have time to follow it up or c) some people won't know how to take a case. So, i'd reckon they pocket the money at least half the time!!!

Just wanted to put it out there, don't use Argus Car Hire or anything to do with Car Trawler! They're the cheapest, but not really !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Cartrawler is best avoided, the evidence in this thread speak yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

On the flip side i've used Autoeurope 11 times over the last 3 years and never had a problem.

In Ireland, UK, France, Netherlands, Germany, Malta and a few other places.

Plus I got Car Hire excess Insurance added onto my travel insurance ;), think it was an extra 8 or 10 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HairAngel

Just had an awful experience with <SNIP>, which turned out to be CARTRAWLER! the <SNIP> site is very basic and you actually do not know who your rental company are until you receive the voucher. I got EASIRENT in Glasgow. I did not to my disadvantage look through all the 'bumf' on the rental voucher, as I previously had rented from some other more well know sites like, lastminute.com and had no bother.... I noticed at the airport that you would be charged for pick up or drop off that was not the allocated time, so called the desk to shift the time to later ( I previously had rented from Ryanair and the flight was early and the car not ready by the time they had estimated arrival). I was then informed that there was no shuttle bus, & I had to drag a case through two car parks and across a busy road to get to Hotel Ramada where the rental desk was located.

I gave the lad my photocard and he wanted £10 to call the DVLA (Avis did this for free). Then would not accept my visa debit card ( as outlined in the T&C, which is in all documents but never been an issue before) nor would he accept my husbands credit card as I was the named driver.

I didnt know about the 'fuel policy'. In the document it stated a quarter full. On arrival he said it was £25 and return empty. IN other words I was to pay £25 for a quarter tank of fuel?

However I did not get the car because of not having credit card in my name. I was patched through to cartrawler and I asked to transfer the booking to another company and I would pay the difference, this 'was not possible' as it was after my pick up time. Although I explained I had called the desk to change the time. So I asked for a refund as I was not given the car(service).

I got a taxi, and left in disgust! A few days later my bank account showed a payment to an excess insurance company who said it was from <SNIP>. I explained I have an annual excess policy and did not click on this acceptance, regardless I did not even have the hire!! After a long chat they promised to refund.

I received an email from car trawler to say that I wasnt going to get the out come I wanted, ie a refund, as it states about credit card and I didnt supply one.
    I have written to them demanding a refund. I have contacted the bank, and they will follow it up after 15 days.
    I want to warn people, have nothing to do with car trawler... consumeraffairs site has 85 bad reviews!
    <SNIP> and on the previous consumer affairs site, they have sited a few other names car trawler operate under!
    It is true, no free or cheap lunch with this crowd!!!!

Has anyone else been successful in receiving a full refund from this <SNIP>?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: HairAngel, I have removed the name of the website because it is an Asian language site and obviously not related to your complaint. I have also removed a word which may an allegation.
    Closing this old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement