Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

earth for a shower pull cord switch

Options
  • 05-11-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I was about to change the pull cord switch for a electric shower but when i took off the old one i noticed that the earth wires were not visible.
    so i went up to attic and found them wound together and covered with tape.
    They are too short now to fit through to my new switch.

Is it acceptable to leave them like this ? The house is only about 5 years old so I presume a qualified electrician installed it when house was built.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

At a very minimum, I would think that they should be joined with a proper connector and extended to be connected to the Earth Connections on the pull cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

can u not use some sleeving, strip connectors and some single earth to bring it through? Better than nothing....

(As said above! Sorry!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

Avns1s wrote: »
    At a very minimum, I would think that they should be joined with a proper connector and extended to be connected to the Earth Connections on the pull cord.

Good advise..:) I would add that you place the earth into a small "OBO" junction box and extend it with at least 2.5mm ( if 6sq T&E) or 4mm ( if 10sq T&E) earth cable. but as its a short run 2.5mm will normally be ok.
    Also use suitable sized terminal ( 32Amp).

It must be connected to the earth as described. his ensures earth protection at the switch should the cables come loose or the internals of the switch breakdown. :eek:
    Also it ensures the switch cover (exposed) screws are earthed.

Well.... so much for testing and certification of new installation by qualified electricians....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The thing is it could probably pass the electrical tests even with the earth just twisted together. Would not pass a visual check if the shower switch is removed though. But it does not sound like a proper electrician installed it if thats how it was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it wouldn't pass the earth continuity testing-i do anyhow

to switch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    it wouldn't pass the earth continuity testing-i do anyhow

to switch

Yea but im sure you have to open the switch for that, and it wont pass the visual inspection anyway. Unless your testing to the switch box screws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i normally check shower switch box screws

Advertisement