Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents Association

Options
  • 05-11-2010 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi,

I am renting in an estate the last few months. A few days ago, I got a knock on the door from the head of the residents association. He was looking for the annual contribution (€60). I didn't even know we had a residents association. My girlfriend tells me we do get a newsletter every couple of months. (keeping place tidy/ watching out for crime - that sort of thing).

Anyway this guy maintains the common area on the other side of the estate (1/3rd of an acre of grass and few trees) and sends this letter out every so often.

I told him the 1st time, I wasn't aware of subs to Resident Association and that I'd drop it down to him as I didn't have it on me (was caught unawares and didn't really want a confrontation as he was a neighbour).

Had a chat with my girlfriend and she doesn't see why we should pay it (I'm of the same opinion). The guy called again yesterday, our lease is up early next year so we used that as an excuse saying we were moving out then (possibility but probably not happening). I also said we don't use the green area etc (and he said it's not just the green area, it's the association - whatever that means) So no doubt he'll notice we're still here later in the year and come looking again.

very awkward situation as we don't want to fall out with the guy but don't see why we should be pressured into paying for junk mail we don't want/ a green we don't use. I maintain my own garden and the grass in front of my house (on the road) so I definitely don't rely on him for anything...

Thoughts?

Thanks
    V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its up to the landlord to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Jumpy wrote: »
    Its up to the landlord to pay.

If they want to, no one LL or tenant or owner or whatever has to pay to a residents association if they don't wish to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's only a resident's assocation. Any "contribution" is totally voluntary. There is no obligation on anyone (resident nor landlord) to pay.

It's totally up to you if you want to pay or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I wouldn't expect a tenant to pay this. Falls on the landlord as to whether this is paid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

If you dont want to pay then next time he calls to the door tell him that you dont want to contribute.

End of story. Its a voluntary contribution, there is no obligation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 suzieled

Landlord should pay this.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Definitely the Landlords responsibility. If you don't want to fall out with the guy, suggest he contacts the Landlord next time, then it's in his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

We have the same thing where my parents live, we always paid it as they do clean up, plant trees etc, but in fairness they've been there for 30 odd yrs, now being out renting myself I wouldn't pay if someone came looking. To be blunt I dont have a vested interest in the area.

I know in my parents estate they get something like 50% of people who pay, its not obligatory in any way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Adrift wrote: »
    Definitely the Landlords responsibility. If you don't want to fall out with the guy, suggest he contacts the Landlord next time, then it's in his hands.

Why should the landlord pay a residents association bill? If the property is part of a Management Company- then certainly the landlord should pay the management charge associated with the management company. Anyone can form a residents committee- and go off and do their own thing. If this fee is to be paid (and I would question whether it should)- it should be the resident who pays, not the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

nobody has to pay this...landlord nor tenant.

it is up to the tenants discretion whether or not they wish to contribute.

personally I would have no issue paying it if I lived in estate as either a homeowner or longterm renter, the man is voluntarily maintaining the general upkeep of the area and I wouldn't begrudge him a few quid once a year.

but I suppose if you're only renting and don't plan to stay very long or maybe just can't afford it then it's a different story.

what would the estate be like if he didn't look after it though?

• Advertisement
Advertisement