Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Plans

• 06-11-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

we are just drawing up our plans of our house at the moment. I really like the plan but our bedroom has three external walls. Will this room always be cold or would it be ok if we insolate it well.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there is a minimum standard which you have to achieve, i would always advise to aim higher and "future proof" your dwelling.

rooms with 3 external walls are not unusual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Once the structure is constructed and sealed properly and once you are insulated, at a very minimum up to the regulations, then, as syd says, all should be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

Katz83 wrote: »
    we are just drawing up our plans of our house at the moment. I really like the plan but our bedroom has three external walls. Will this room always be cold or would it be ok if we insolate it well.

Hi again Katz83,

you are obviously in the process of building a house for yourself. Judging by the amount of threads you have I'm wondering if you have chosen the right architect at all, come to think of it, did you not even query him???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

I know i have posted a lot of treads. no he good architect. i just have alot of questions and like to get alot of opinions from independent people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Katz83 wrote: »
    Insulating it to current regs is minimum, more is obviously bett but either way it won't noticable cold.
    But you are right, more exposed walls means heat is lost quicker, but this just means more heat is drawn from the UFH or rads, it's really a small difference and the room will be no colder.

Hi again Katz83,

you are obviously in the process of building a house for yourself. Judging by the amount of threads you have I'm wondering if you have chosen the right architect at all, come to think of it, did you not even query him???:confused:
    We get it a lot.
    It's quite common for people to look for second opinions here. I rather see somebody question everything than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi again Katz83,

Mellor wrote: »
    We get it a lot.
    It's quite common for people to look for second opinions here. I rather see somebody question everything than nothing.
    Spot on Mellor :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I have a sitting room at the end of my house that has 3 external walls. The room was never used due to cold and damp. After getting the walls pumped and upgrading the ceiling insulation past the minimum the difference made to the room was massive. Once upon a time the radiator made no difference and it was either avoided all winter or you wore a jacket in there. Now it's the finest, in fact I recently turned down the thermostatic valve on the radiator to balance it out with other rooms.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

would you consider going to a passive standard

http://www.seai.ie/Renewables/Renewable_Energy_for_the_Homeowner/SEI_Passive_House_A4.pdf

if you dont go ahead with Passive standard, running the proposed design through the software gives you a good of where building regs will in the next fee years and affords you a level of future proofing the design.

I'm advocating this system as there is little else matching it from a standards/ detailing and building construction/checking approach at the moment.

Advertisement