Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking about moving

Options
  • 06-11-2010 1:25am

3 months left on our lease. Now this house is perfect for us. Secure back garden, loads of space, perhaps too much, but very decent rent, but the landlord is unknown to us (cept for his name) and he works through an agent who is diabolically bad at his job.

From looking at Daft rent does appear to have risen again from what it was last Feb/March when we moved here. Wondering if anyone can help me out with some details about other areas other than Balbriggan. (Nothing against Balbriggan, just open to a change if it's financially viable).

Supermarkets, public transport (I don't drive), and general safety of the area are what I most value! (I don't live near Balbriggan itself, I'm out in Legoland and it's very quiet and safe).

Swords is out of the question because of past encounters, and Malahide is (probably) out by price, anyone give any recommendations?

There were loads of houses for 700 or under per month on Daft last February, is renting seasonal do you think? Or has the market picked up again? Will be a shame to leave this place but fed up of the house falling down around us and the agent never lifting a finger no matter how many times we call.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

3 months left on our lease. Now this house is perfect for us. Secure back garden, loads of space, perhaps too much, but very decent rent, but the landlord is unknown to us (cept for his name) and he works through and agent who is diabolically bad at his job.

From looking at Daft rent does appear to have risen again from what it was last Feb/March when we moved here. Wondering if anyone can help me out with some details about other areas other than Balbriggan. (Nothing against Balbriggan, just open to a change if it's financially viable).

Supermarkets, public transport (I don't drive), and general safety of the area are what I most value! (I don't live near Balbriggan istelf, I'm out in Legoland and it's very quiet and safe).

Swords is out of the question because of past encounters, and Malahide is (probably) out by price, anyone give any recommendations?

There were loads of houses for 700 or under per month on Daft last February, is renting seasonal do you think? Or has the market picked up again? Will be a shame to leave this place but fed up of the house falling down around us and the agent never lifting a finger no matter how many times we call.

There is some good value around North Dublin. Rush and Lusk are worth a look. Rush is pretty well serviced with good facilities. Shops are ok but a little pricey. You can get just about anything you want in Rush. Rush is as safe as anywhere in Ireland but where is 100% safe? Train station about 20 minute walk from town centre and there is a regular bus service.

There are fabulous beachs and walks in the area and the New Library is great addition to the town.

Thanks Leo! Rush is in my areas of consideration, but if there isn't a local supermarket it's probably not ideal. Lived in Dalkey last year and found that shopping between Centra and Eurospar was so expensive, walked in and out of Dun Laoghaire with a rucksack for the most part. Got lazy now with so many supermarkets nearby that I don't want to go back to that again.

Oh yes, other question - the train station, is it located on dark rural roads? We'll probably have a car next year but I don't (and wont) drive anyway so it could be unsuitable in this respect. Local bus services seem to stop quite early, is there a good local taxi service?

Good to get the lowdown from the locals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Thanks Leo! Rush is in my areas of consideration, but if there isn't a local supermarket it's probably not ideal. Lived in Dalkey last year and found that shopping between Centra and Eurospar was so expensive, walked in and out of Dun Laoghaire with a rucksack for the most part. Got lazy now with so many supermarkets nearby that I don't want to go back to that again.

Oh yes, other question - the train station, is it located on dark rural roads? We'll probably have a car next year but I don't (and wont) drive anyway so it could be unsuitable in this respect. Local bus services seem to stop quite early, is there a good local taxi service?

Good to get the lowdown from the locals!

It wouldnt really suit you. Public transport isnt great, the road to the train station isnt too safe, the path isn't well lit in places and very slippy. Irish Rail have done an amazing job on the station but its geared for car drivers really with its location. Taxi services are pretty good but do you want the extra cost of using taxis all the time?

Supermarket wise in Rush Centra and Eurospar are expensive and don't have the range. Lusk has SuperValu instead of Eurospar but also has the same transport problems. Skerries has Supervalu and the train station is in easy walking distance from the main street but rent might be higher but it does have a good night life especially in summer and plenty of eating out options. Its Malahide for people who can't afford Malahide :D but then again if supermarkets are your concern Malahide has only SuperValu but you could get the bus into Clarehall.

The Best serviced Supermarket areas close to NCD would be either Drogheda or Finglas leaving out Swords/Balbriggan of course. Superquinn and Tesco do internet shopping in NCD so you could always use that for the heavy bulky shopping and buy your fresh food locally. Might cut down on the weight of your shopping bags.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    It wouldnt really suit you. Public transport isnt great, the road to the train station isnt too safe, the path isn't well lit in places and very slippy. Irish Rail have done an amazing job on the station but its geared for car drivers really with its location. Taxi services are pretty good but do you want the extra cost of using taxis all the time?

Supermarket wise in Rush Centra and Eurospar are expensive and don't have the range. Lusk has SuperValu instead of Eurospar but also has the same transport problems. Skerries has Supervalu and the train station is in easy walking distance from the main street but rent might be higher but it does have a good night life especially in summer and plenty of eating out options. Its Malahide for people who can't afford Malahide :D but then again if supermarkets are your concern Malahide has only SuperValu but you could get the bus into Clarehall.

The Best serviced Supermarket areas close to NCD would be either Drogheda or Finglas leaving out Swords/Balbriggan of course. Superquinn and Tesco do internet shopping in NCD so you could always use that for the heavy bulky shopping and buy your fresh food locally. Might cut down on the weight of your shopping bags.
    Excellent info, thanks loads! We have considered Drogheda since that's where the OH works. Though when we moved in together we compromised on Balbriggan because since I consider myself a south Dub really, just have panic attacks about leaving the county! Drogheda as a town isn't as nice as Balbriggan, though, I think. Good to know about Skerries, thanks. Skerries is a very viable option since it's still very close to Drogheda. I don't think himself will move any further south than Rush anyway.

Would prefer to stay in Balbriggan but also like to be prepared to consider other places when the time comes - I think I would have to rule Rush out of consideration because of the supermarket issue. The station being out of the way isn't a problem, I always have to use taxis in Balbriggan if I get to the station after 9pm anyway, but not having a local supermarket like SuperValu, Tesco or Dunnes is a bit of a problem. Sounds like Dalkey again, which wasn't ideal.

So I guess Rush is out, but Skerries still sounds good. Thanks loads! You've both been great help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Yeah I've always thought Skerries was a nice, friendly little place actually. I live in Malahide and it's a lovely place to live but rent is expensive here so it might not suit you. Compared to Balbriggan you won't have the choice of shops that you had in Skerries though, the only big supermarket is SuperValu and it's not a great one really. But you won't have a big choice of shops anywhere around Rush/Lusk etc so Skerries would proabably be your best bet near to Balbriggan. Would you think of Donabate? Friends of mine moved there last year and love it. Has a SuperValu too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement