Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandbags and Salt

Options
  • 06-11-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi Hi Hi!

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light for me... I live 3 metres from a river.... A big river.... And im trying to avoid my house casually getting destroyed. Where does one go about getting sandbags? And lots of them!

Also where do I go about getting bags of salt for the frost? Last year my local village RAN OUT of salt just at peak frost time and i ended up getting the brother out with table salt to do the drive... [We really havn't a clue what we're doing.... :rolleyes:]

We'd like to be slightly prepared this year, and this river is already creeping up fast!

Any suggestions? Thanks all :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you'll probably need to get sand delivered in advance and fill bags yourself - that's how they usually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Please pardon my ignorence, but where do I get the bags?

Wow... I'm seriously no good in a crisis :o
    No wonder the brother got me to ask in advance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Maybe try a builder's yard tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

gotta respect da water...learnt from that flooding.ie preparation pdf not to block entries above 1m because the pressure of water outside will damage the building even more than letting the water in! best of luck op

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I didn't know that although it makes perfect sense, jkforde.

It's a longshot but maybe a hardware store like McDonagh's? The people who work there seem more knowledgeable than the ones that work in Woodies and might be able to point you in the right direction... never been in B&Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Ring the council, they should have a department especially for flood defence. Tipp North coco were great when my last place looked like it was about to flood, delivered a load of bags out to me the same day I rang em.
    Get the most from your taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Dunno about sandbags, but for salt I got mine last year in McDonagh's Hardware.

Thing a 20kg bag was around 10/11 euro. Should last the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wanna get some semi-coarse gravel for my sloping driveway, for traction.
    Better than salt in my opinion. Does anyone know where I can get it and save me ringing around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

This may sound daft; but regular cat litter is apparently very good for that sort of thing; and cheap in the likes of Lidl/Aldi too.

Failing that you can buy bags of the stuff in B&Q or the likes. Larger amounts are prob best got direct from a quarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, litter is good but gravel lasts much longer, is a dirt cheap *here all week folks*, is 100% natural and stays put even on bare ground in winter winds.
    The semi-coarse stuff will give traction even through black ice.
    Sand is good too but too light and blows around.

This is the stuff I mean
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=0000003380826&x=16&y=14
    Whatever is left in spring, just sweep up and put back in bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i think gravel is safer to use aswell. it seems the salt eats into concrete. i seen some people last year who used salt on their driveways and the state of it after, big holes in the concrete where the salt just erroded it away. dont think it affects tarmacadam as much

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement