Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Vids & Pics & Links

Options
  • 06-11-2010 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if there's any possibility of moving this from being a subforum of AH? It really has nothing to do with AH and should imo be a stand alone forum.

I'm currently banned from AH so therefore also lose access to both Cool Vids & Pics & Links and, to a lesser extent of importance, Teach na nGealt.

I don't think there's any particular need for this structure to exist as it is, and don't think it's fair that if you lose access to AH you also access to two irrelevent forums.

Cheers
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Sorry you don't have access to the forum Xavi

I have thought about this before and decided against making any moves to set the forum up on its own

I do agree in principal that the forum has grown beyong its intended purpose but I guess the fear is that if it was set up on its own it would lose a lot of its traffic

But if the general concensus in this thread is that it should be a seperate forum then I wont stand in its way

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I love cool vids. When I started modding it was pre-moderated which was stunting the growth of the forum. I think in the last year or so it has grown in terms of regular readers and contributors. I'd like to see some stats on how it has grown of late with the photoshop comp, You laugh you lose et al. I've wanted for a while to separate it from cool vids in terms of getting more cool vids only moderators in there to make sure we don't get caught badly by removing pre-moderation and I'm absolutely delighted with the way in which the recliner has taken the forum. I hope it starts to get recognition in its own right rather than as a sub forum but wouldn't want to harm the growth of it. Perhaps its outgrown the status of subforum though. Great to have a feedback thread about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I don't see any reason why it should not be a standalone forum, it's the first stop if you want to see something interesting or just want a laugh.
    And I would imagine that the traffic is huge and like the doc said it would be great to see some stats

I can't really think of any advantages or disadvantages of where it is now execpt for the reason that Xavi6 said, but I also dont see any reason why it needs to be tied to AH

And kudos to the Recliner, doing a good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yeah, I agree ..

Should be a forum in it's own right.

Hiding away in the After Hour's boxroom doesn't do the forum the justice it deserves.

Users now sport sigs dedicated to the forum and even some of the threads.

After Hour's little brother has grown up and he wants his own place :mad:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I agree, no reason it shouldn't be a standalone forum, could put a redirect link on the top for awhile so traffic isn't lost maybe?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I've only been an active user now for just over 6 or 7 months, and almost all of my time is spent with You Laugh You Lose or the Photoshop competition. Almost every post of the day now originates from Cool Pics, Vids & Links and its grown way too large to continue being a sub-forum. At this point I think it deserves to be its own forum under Rec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think it still serves its purpose as a sub forum of AH as it keeps the main forum relatively free of of being saturated with images and youtube vids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lets get this straight, the problem here is that you did something to get yourself banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I think it still serves its purpose as a sub forum of AH as it keeps the main forum relatively free of of being saturated with images and youtube vids.

I see your point there but threads started that are just based on a YouTube vid and / or requesting more vids (or pics) be posted, could just be moved to Cool Vids in same way that they are now.

It being a forum in it's own right wouldn't change that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Lets get this straight, the problem here is that you did something to get yourself banned.

He did something that got himself banned from one forum. Why should that preclude him from what is now a very different forum? No need to make a big confrontation out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

:rolleyes: No it's not, I haven't complained about the ban (it's 3 days, 2 and a half of which are up so I'll survive). It simply drew my attention to the issue.

I'm banned from AH which imo should have nothing to do with a completely different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm in the exact same boat (3 Day ban that I really don't deserve but I digress) and I've lost access to Cool Vids & Pics. It should be its own forum under Rec with a link under AH to keep it popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't see why Cool Vids & TnnG are subforums of AH. Surely there would be enough awareness and traffic already without the forums having to ride on top of the AH banner?
    I don't visit the Irish one, but I presume there is a regular enough community in there already, and the KYN & YLYL threads in Vids have enough draw already sustain themselves on their own. There are already mods who mod these forums seperately too, so I think it is unfair that if someone is banned from AH only then they are banned from the others aswell.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We've started a discussion about this in the admin forum. Hopefully we'll have a decision for you quite quickly.

I'm going to do a 90 degree turn on my comment here and say actually, I quite like seeing the other forums on top of AH. Still think the access thing should be allowed for AH bans though.

WindSock wrote: »
    I'm going to do a 90 degree turn on my comment here and say actually, I quite like seeing the other forums on top of AH. Still think the access thing should be allowed for AH bans though.

I don't think that is possible currently

If you are banned from the parent forum you are banned from all sub forums automatically

Doesn't work in reverse though, a ban from a sub forum doesn't apply to the parent forum, which can be a pain in forums like PI where if you don't notice that you applied a ban in Relationship issues you have to go and apply it in Personal Issues to cover all the forums

However if the forums were to stay where they are and if the AH mods were agreeable to it I would have no problem with a user PM'ing me to get his Cool Vids access restored during an AH ban (to be decided on a case by case basis depending on what the AH ban was for)
    I think the Cool Vids ban can be lifted whilst the AH ban is in place

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I say move them out from under AH but leave redirects at the top of AH on a permanent basis. Both forums are strongly linked to AH (at least in terms of their origins).

Cool vids was to stop people clogging up AH with youtube clips and funny pictures etc. and there's a danger people might go back posting that stuff in AH in the absence of the redirect. TnanG is AH as Gaeilge, so realistically it should remain strongly linked to its parent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I believe TnaG was originally moved under AH to benefit from increased traffic from the parent forum. There are TG specific mods which may have input to that end so perhaps what might be the correct move for cool vids is not the correct move for TnaG.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So rather than do an about face, you're just going to sort of half go back on what you originally said? :P

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I say move them out from under AH but leave redirects at the top of AH on a permanent basis. Both forums are strongly linked to AH (at least in terms of their origins).

Cool vids was to stop people clogging up AH with youtube clips and funny pictures etc. and there's a danger people might go back posting that stuff in AH in the absence of the redirect. TnanG is AH as Gaeilge, so realistically it should remain strongly linked to its parent.

This seems ideal to me, and would suit everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

This is currently being discussed by the admins and the majority so far agree with the move BUT there is a concern:

the main reason these two fora were put under AH was because they were extensions of AH. If they move out from under there, then they will risk losing some of their identity as the AH style of posting would not be as well tolerated elsewhere.

If TnaG is AH in Irish, then it should stay under AH. If it is an irish discussion forum, then it should have no problems moving to a forum slot of its own. Similarly for cool pics, if it can make the transition away from the AH mindset (and there is one. AH posts get a lot more leeway than posts in other fora on boards, its the whole reason why it was invented in the first place. ) then I see no reason for it not to be moved.

However, I think the users of the fora should have a long think about what this move would mean and the change it would bring. Would TnaG and Cool Pics still be TnaG and Cool pics if they werent under After Hours? If they keep the same style they currently have are we not just creating two more AHs that wil eventually grow sub-fora of their own?

Moderation: for transition will the AH mods still continue to moderate the new fora even with the change in style required? Also, if the move does happen, the mods would have to do a quick spring clean to remove some of the dodgier posts/links and vids to make the content more in keeping with the rest of boards.ie

perma-links to the two fora: I dont see this as necessary. a link for a while certainly but permanent? why? is it not just as easy to hover over REC and pick it form the list there? Or have them listed in the "my forums" category ? if its a traffic concern, then perhaps the sub-forum is not ready to be moved to a slot of its own. If it cant continue without secondary traffic from the parent forum then it should stay where it is.

Ultimately though, this should be a decision made by the forums themselves and not just as a reaction to a feedback thread responded to by a subset, some of whom may not even be users of the fora in question. Perhaps the mods could broach the move with the users and get their reaction to the idea in the forums themselves ?

regarding losing access to the forums if you get a ban from AH... I dont really see this as an argument to be taken into account. dont get banned from AH and you dont lose access. Log out and you can view the forums you just dont have the ability to post there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Teach na nGealt gets very little traffic. I would say it could benefit from a move to another part of the site, but I can't think of anywhere that would raise its profile enough. I only lurk there the odd time these days, so some of its more dedicated posters could well have more to say about it. Ye might need a translator to figure out their recommendations though ;)

It needs a sig advertising campaign more than anything else...

LoLth wrote: »
    perma-links to the two fora: I dont see this as necessary. a link for a while certainly but permanent? why? is it not just as easy to hover over REC and pick it form the list there? Or have them listed in the "my forums" category ? if its a traffic concern, then perhaps the sub-forum is not ready to be moved to a slot of its own. If it cant continue without secondary traffic from the parent forum then it should stay where it is.

Personally I would like to see some stats as to where traffic to the forum comes from

Is it direct clicks into the forum or clicks from the link in AH etc

Can the Admins provide this or would it have to come from Ross or Connor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I think that would be a Ross/connor statworm job...

however, I think the better answer would come from talking to the users of the forums themselves. What do they think? I , personally, dont use either forum so I can't honestly say where they would best be located. I wouldnt be against them getting a forum of their own but only the moderators and users of the forum themselves would know what the possible side effects of a re-planting would be. Pulses, fingers and all that.

I can't see any reasons for changing the posting style allowable just because it wouldn't be a sub forum of AH any more. This makes no sense. Obviously different forums have different levels of strictness, but why would there need to be an adjustment there? It smacks of doing something for the sake of it to prove a point that doesn't need to be proven, not for the good of the board or posters who use it.

No need to over admin or over moderate this. If there is an AH type exemption to an extent, then why not have an AH + Pics and Vids exemption instead?

5starpool wrote: »
    I can't see any reasons for changing the posting style allowable just because it wouldn't be a sub forum of AH any more. This makes no sense. Obviously different forums have different levels of strictness, but why would there need to be an adjustment there? It smacks of doing something for the sake of it to prove a point that doesn't need to be proven, not for the good of the board or posters who use it.

No need to over admin or over moderate this. If there is an AH type exemption to an extent, then why not have an AH + Pics and Vids exemption instead?

I wouldn't see the need to change the Modding of Cool Vids if it was moved to be honest

It is Modded in line with Boards guidelines so I wouldn't want to change it

Zaph wrote: »
    So rather than do an about face, you're just going to sort of half go back on what you originally said? :P

Well I like seeing them on top of AH, but I still think they should be modded as seperate forums. So it's not a complete turn around in my opinions.

I don't agree with the 'don't get yourself banned...' view though. A bit pointless and condescending. The OP is hardly a trolling nuisance. Many otherwise good contributing regular users get banned from AH from time to time :cool:

Well I like seeing them on top of AH, but I still think they should be modded as seperate forums. So it's not a complete turn around in my opinions.

I don't agree with the 'don't get yourself banned...' view though. A bit pointless and condescending. The OP is hardly a trolling nuisance. Many otherwise good contributing regular users get banned from AH from time to time :cool:

You obviously don't know him well enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Lads i brushed over the comments but how has nobody (and apologies if they have) suggested putting it in Humour instead as that is almost the very nature of it?

• Advertisement

Once the current poll is finished in Cool Vids I will throw one up to see what people's opinions are on the forum as a sub forum and to gauge opinion as to what people want

My fear is that it would get lost if moved elsewhere, it works fairly well as is and I would be loathe to move it just for the sake of housekeeping

On the issue of people being banned from AH and losing access well I am sure we can overcome that

Advertisement