Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Vids & Pics & Links

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What difference does it make where it is, so long as people can still find it?

Can someone tell me what the benefit is of making it a separate forum?

IMHO, Cool vids is very much a part of AH. It shares many of the same posters, visitors, the same humour, the same 'style'. I'd prefer to see it stay as it is, but if it does move then I would appreciate permanent links to it from AH (at least for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

GAAman wrote: »
    Lads i brushed over the comments but how has nobody (and apologies if they have) suggested putting it in Humour instead as that is almost the very nature of it?

It's not all humour though, 'photos that shook the world' is an amazing thread, one of the strongest/biggest threads in the forum and certainly wouldnt be suited in Humour, you'd have to break the forum completely up if you were sending you laugh you lose and the likes to Humour, it would ruin the forum imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can someone tell me what the benefit is of making it a separate forum?

Read the OP - if you're banned from AH you're banned from Cool Pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

GAAman wrote: »
    Lads i brushed over the comments but how has nobody (and apologies if they have) suggested putting it in Humour instead as that is almost the very nature of it?
    Not all the threads in it are funny threads. Some are just interesting links, online games, videos of every nature, sad, funny, goose-bump inducing etc.

I'm still making my way through the mince of the Vids thread, it's massive but some of the vids in it make it so worth it!

Just visit the forum and you'll understand. It wont be suited to Humour but it'd definitely sit nicely on it's own.

Seeing stats that one of the mods posted up in the You laugh you lose thread, I think it might even have more active users & viewers than it's parent forum? Or maybe even certainly going that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Read the OP - if you're banned from AH you're banned from Cool Pics.

As already posted, losing access to a sub-forum because of a ban from the parent forum is not a reason to consider moving or not moving the sub-forum. It may sound trite but the workaround for this is very simple, dont get banned from the parent forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

LoLth wrote: »
    As already posted, losing access to a sub-forum because of a ban from the parent forum is not a reason to consider moving or not moving the sub-forum. It may sound trite but the workaround for this is very simple, dont get banned from the parent forum.
    I agree with the point people should behave and not get banned.

However, Cool vids is adopted, AH is not it's biological parent. It's evident as they're nothing alike. :pac:

Get banned from PI you deserve a ban from RI and vice versa.

At this present moment, AH has quite a few dreary threads from taking a glance so getting a ban in a, at present, dreary forum, shouldn't mean a ban from a fun forum. :)

Xavi, next time be nice. :p

Wait, what if Xavi logged out, can he view Cool vids as a guest?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The cool vids forum does have its own community of posters. Its not just people browsing from AH. The core regulars in there in the photoshop comp and the like are not usually prolific or even regular AH posters so the culture in there is somewhat different, if similarly light hearted.

No might about it, it does sound trite.

Consider the below -
    The cool vids forum does have its own community of posters. Its not just people browsing from AH. The core regulars in there in the photoshop comp and the like are not usually prolific or even regular AH posters so the culture in there is somewhat different, if similarly light hearted.

The point is one shouldn't affect the other as they are two completely different fora that just happen to be operating under the same banner.

If you don't want to have the effort of moving it then fine, but they should be seperate entities in terms of bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as long as cool vids is a sub forum of AH then a ban from AH means a ban from cool vids.

as Dr. B posted, cool vids has users who never post in AH. They are in no danger of losing access to the cool vids forum by being banned from AH.

Users who behave themselves in AH are likewise unlikely to lose access to cool vids due to a ban.

Please, give me one good reason why it should be ok to get banned from AH? Thats like someone getting banned from Tescos for shoplifting fruit and veg and then compaining because they cant get access to the cheese section down the back anymore.

I'm sorry, but "I lose access to X when I'm banned from Y, therefore Y should be moved" will never, in my opinion, be a valid reason. If access to Y means so much to you, then either stop posting in X or behave yourself in X so you dont get banned.

X has a completely different userbase to Y : now there's a valid reason that should be considered.

And yes, if you log out you should be able to view the cool pics and vids forum, you just wont be able to thank or post.

Please, give me one good reason why it should be ok to get banned from AH? Thats like someone getting banned from Tescos for shoplifting fruit and veg and then compaining because they cant get access to the cheese section down the back anymore.

Who ever said it's ok to be banned from AH? :confused:

EDIT: I've deleted what I'd written except the above as never once did I condone getting banned.

I've put my reasons forward anyway, so no point nitpicking at minor points.

I think the forum has done enough to deserve its own status. Some agree, some don't but that's the nature of the beast. If nothing happens I won't lose any sleep and I'll just log out when I get my annual AH ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Teach na nGealt gets very little traffic.

because it's one of the most unwelcoming forums on Boards, that's why.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Des wrote: »
    because it's one of the most unwelcoming forums on Boards, that's why.

I've never found that. I'd imagine new posters who pop in and say hi are probably put off by how few posters actually reply to them, and not by the content of the replies themselves.

There's an unfortunate perception that all people who use Gaeilge regularly are arrogant grammar nazis. It's true of plenty, but it's untrue in just as many cases. I've never seen that kind of behaviour in Teach na nGealt.

Advertisement