Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Merville" derelict house on Church Road

Options
  • 06-11-2010 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

A derelict site notice from Wicklow County Council was posted on the wall in front of Merville on Church Rd, (ruin opposite The Happy Pear) dated 27th Aug 2010. It notified owner Ronan O Caoimh to demolish delelict building and tidy up site within 6 weeks from date of notice or face fines of over €30k and €2500 per day from that date until the order was complied with. To date, nothing has happened. It's now 10 weeks since notice was given. Will this fine be imposed and what action will be taken against owner. This money would help Tidy Towns committee with a lot of their great work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Ronan O'Caoimh Trinity Biotech CEO and business partner of the Fitzpatricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Shame about that house. I was surprised when I read the order that such an old building was due to be demolished, even if it is in a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

seems slightly ridiculous if the council are ordering him to demolish the house. If he'd applied for permission to knock it down its likely they would've refused because of its age and the overall look of the street...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Pretty sure the blame doesn't rest with the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Huntthe wrote: »

is there not some mechanism for the council to compulsorily purchase (for a nominal price) derilict buildings where they are deemed to be a danger and/or an eyesore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

I raised an issue over a year go concerning this derelict house. The owner and associated persons (a Ronan O Caoimh and others) were ordered to clean up the site or face penalties. The site remains derelict and not much has been done to rectify the condition. It is a disgrace and a blot on the town. How come the council cannot act against the owners and insist that they comply with the legal orders that were issued almost 12 months ago?
    It is disheartening to see so much good efforts by the Tidy Towns Committee and other civic minded people being destroyed by the indifference of some people who neglect their responsibilities to keep their property in a presentable condition.
    Must we wait for a fire or other catostrophe to occur before something is done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Quinns old House on Church Rd was derelict for years. The house at the top of Redford was there for years. There's a house on Vincent Rd that's as good as derelict. Why all the interest in this one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

It ruins my view while I am having my half caste devomocaloca caffeine fair trade coffee outside of the happy pear, roysh :)

Seriously though it could look nice with a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Huntthe wrote: »

The Council is always to blame they screw up everything:mad::mad:

Swanner wrote: »
    Quinns old House on Church Rd was derelict for years. The house at the top of Redford was there for years. There's a house on Vincent Rd that's as good as derelict. Why all the interest in this one ?

Alas the house on Vincent's Road is surprisingly occupied by some person. Is has not been served with a derelict site notice. The house at Redford was demolished a long time ago and is only of historical interest to those that remember it. It has been replaced with some well maintained appartments.
    The owner of "Merville House" on Church Road was issued with a derelict site notice almost 12 months ago and ordered to either demolish it or restore it to a presentable state, This has not happened. My query is why has Wicklow County Council not taken action and pursued the order, by way of imposing fines or by having this eye-sore removed from a beautiful street in the centre of the town. It is a sad state of affairs if official instructions are ignored by those who receive them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm not sure why you're continually chasing this one vinpaul. It seems to be more personal to you than anyone else reading on here. I think this is something you need to discuss with Building Control in Wicklow Co Co.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Id be more concerned with the latouche site than this.

Gonna suggest vinpaul is a neighbour and the initial cause of the notice.

Realistically nothing will happen here. Wcc will only approve demlosion if it's rebuilt off the original plans most likely to keep tune with surrounding properties and in this environment who can afford to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Gonna suggest vinpaul is a neighbour and the initial cause of the notice.

Thats incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

vinpaul wrote: »
    My query is why has Wicklow County Council not taken action and pursued the order
    Have you asked the council or any of the 4 MCCs representing the Greystones area?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Thats incorrect.
    Thanks John,
    Was going to respond but you've done the deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I saw a guy cleaning up the front garden in Merville today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I saw a guy cleaning up the front garden in Merville today

... and you didn't get a picture :eek: :p

Advertisement