Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mtb pedals for newbie

• 06-11-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Having decided on my bike, I'm now looking at what acessaries I want to get.

First up is the pedals. I believe SPD is the popular vote, however having never used them before, I am understandably a little reluctant.

I know I should try and get SPD's , also ones that allow adjustment of tension to make them easy to open when starting off.

I've seen that the Shimano M324 offer SPD one side, platform the other, so maybe an option - anyone any experience with these or advice to give?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/m324-spd-pedals-ec005285?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

I used those pedals when I started mtbing approx 3 years ago. They work well but can be a bit irritating because you need to kick them over to get the "clip side up" - a bit like Look road pedals! Frankly, you'll probably swop to proper SPDs after a couple of months but they're great for building confidence on more technical stuff. All mountain bikers remember that horrible feeling of the bike falling over but not being able to unclip your shoes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Get a pair of these,adjustable tension,you can clip in on both sides and they are well built with good bearings etc.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

cheers guys for the feedback

I'm getting a bike throug hthe cycle to work scheme and have ~150 to spend yet on ancillaries at the shop whre I'm getting my bike.

They have the M20S alright, however they only affer SPD on either of pedal - yeah?

Haven't a clue yet what else to buy in the shop, as seems most stuff is much cheaper on the net (e.g. chainreactioncycle etc), so even with the 49% discount on scheme, not much money really being spent.

For a MTB rider, anyone offer what bits I shoudl get as a minimu, after helmet and pedal, as have ~60 -70 to spend.

Are gel padded shorts a necessity or not. I don't really like the lycra look, however unsure if that's really the best to wear for MTB users?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't go with one-sided SPDs, especially if you're commuting. You've to clip out every 120 seconds, so getting clipped back in is a bugger if you've to turn the pedal over.

Go for the M424's. They can used with normal shoes (tiny bit uncomfortable, but not really) if you're not confident enough with the SPD yet or if you're just banging down to the shop and don't want the hassle of sticking on your bike shoes.

I have the next ones up with a steel cage, heavy as hell but I like them.

brian1976 wrote: »
    Are gel padded shorts a necessity or not. I don't really like the lycra look, however unsure if that's really the best to wear for MTB users?

Padding is essential! Whether you go for baggy shorts with built in padding, lycra with chamois or baggy shorts with lycra underneath is a matter of opinion! I know when I started I swore you'd never see me in lycra but now I rarely wear baggy shorts - lycra is just more practical!
    Apart from the bike, essentials for offroad are - helmet, proper shoes, padded shorts, top base layer (definately not cotton), other layers depending on temperature, jacket, gloves, hydration (bottle or back pack), multitool, pump, tyre levers and spare tube ..... I think that covers it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Good list^^
    I must say I find this swing toward full Lycra while truffle hunting dismaying. I wear it (esp in the winter as a base layer) but always with suitable baggy 1/2 of 3/4 length shorts on too.
    The hills are messy and tough there is no room for association with those who have 2 hour conversations about where is best to place ones eye wear while sipping espresso on patios.
    MTBing is a relatively new sport, esp in Ireland and should not be adopting the norms of peer sports.
    I realise the accepted attire while mtb racing is to go skin tight but for 'casual' mtb spins I view full Lycra attire in the same vein as a roadie turning up for a spin in GAA attire, its just not appropriate......... where's Raam.........;)

Good list^^
    I must say I find this swing toward full Lycra while truffle hunting dismaying. I wear it (esp in the winter as a base layer) but always with suitable baggy 1/2 of 3/4 length shorts on too.
    The hills are messy and tough there is no room for association with those who have 2 hour conversations about where is best to place ones eye wear while sipping espresso on patios.
    MTBing is a relatively new sport, esp in Ireland and should not be adopting the norms of peer sports.
    I realise the accepted attire while mtb racing is to go skin tight but for 'casual' mtb spins I view full Lycra attire in the same vein as a roadie turning up for a spin in GAA attire, its just not appropriate......... where's Raam.........;)

I know where you're coming from .... most of us are just not built for lycra (myself included!) but I find the baggies are constantly snagging on the saddle on technical descents and are really horrible when they get very wet as they try to fall down around your ankles! I'm lucky enough to have a couple of bikes and basically it's backpack and baggies on the all mountain bike and lycra and water-bottles on the XC bike! Happy Days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

RPL1 wrote: »
    I find the baggies are constantly snagging on the saddle on technical descents !

+1
    fall down around your ankles!

not sure about this though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

brian1976 wrote: »
    cheers guys for the feedback

I'm getting a bike throug hthe cycle to work scheme and have ~150 to spend yet on ancillaries at the shop whre I'm getting my bike.

They have the M20S alright, however they only affer SPD on either of pedal - yeah?

Haven't a clue yet what else to buy in the shop, as seems most stuff is much cheaper on the net (e.g. chainreactioncycle etc), so even with the 49% discount on scheme, not much money really being spent.

For a MTB rider, anyone offer what bits I shoudl get as a minimu, after helmet and pedal, as have ~60 -70 to spend.

Cheap and cheerful pedals:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759

Padded shorts are nice and a suitable baselayer top (a must imo), a decent pair of shoes for the pedals, Helmet, gloves, bottle & cage is enough to get started and build from there. Pending how far your travelling you might want a suitable saddle bag with tools, pump and tube.

I wouldn't agree with the comment above about showing up with appropriate 'fashionable' clothing, wear what you can and have FUN, its not a catwalk! If your starting off as a newbie don't spend too much money unless your happy and build on your accessories as you go.

BTW chainreaction have some great prices on Diadora (spelling) shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

I know where you're coming from .... most of us are just not built for lycra (myself included!) but I find the baggies are constantly snagging on the saddle on technical descents and are really horrible when they get very wet as they try to fall down around your ankles! I'm lucky enough to have a couple of bikes and basically it's backpack and baggies on the all mountain bike and lycra and water-bottles on the XC bike! Happy Days!

Waterproof baggies are the way to go. I was forced to wear lyrca for a few spins and I actually find the lycra catches on the saddle more than a good set of waterproofs.

Completely agree with you on baggies soaking up water, hanging around your ankles and getting ripped, but grab a can of waterproof spray or put the cash down for a pair of enduros with waterproof built in and you'll be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Gloves with padding on the palms - most falls will be absorbed by your hands at least in part, peeled palms are not conducive to an ejnjoyable spin!

Shimano 424 pedals - Seamus's reasoning is spot on

Padded shorts or baggies

Camelback type hydration - room for keys, phone multitool (with chainbreaker) tubes pump etc., bottles tend to bounce out and/or get covered in crud, the backpack can take a bit of the sting out of a good crash, you don't want to do the roady thing of putting stuff in your pockets as you could end up wearing the imprint in the form of deep bruising, or just end up wandering the hills where you thought you heard your keys/iphone fall out!

Powerlink - takes up very little space but you are in trouble if you need on and don't have one!

Knee pads - something like 661 Kyle Straits, at best they save you taking damage at worst they keep your knees warm!

Advertisement