Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this forum too jokey?

Options
  • 06-11-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

For quite some time there have been complaints to the mods that posters are ruining threads with AH style posting or trying to be funny but in the process dragging the thread down (I know I have been guilty of this too).
    Certain posters does this on a regular basis and doesn't really add much anything else.

As the charter says: Above all, exercise common sense. Be helpful and people will reciprocate.

Do you guys think the mods should clamp down on unhelpful/"funneh" posting more?
    It's of course on a case-by-case basis but in general, should we try to steer the forum towards helpfulness away from "Stage door" comments?

I'm submitting an anonymous poll but feel free to post below.
    Pls note that this thread doesn't open up to discussions on other issues in this forum, just helpfulness vs jokes.

Is the forum too jokey? 94 votes

Yes, I'd like less funneh pls
    0% 0 votes
    No, it's fine the way it is
    22% 21 votes
    I haven't noticed any issue / meh
    77% 73 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think common sense has to be prevail. But people have different ideas on common sense. I personally think its fine and tweaking with it might not help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No it is not too jokey.
    Some queries need to be responded with : why did you not try google? or detailed maps are freely available online or there does exist a directory of stockists with red ribbon bows called the golden pages.., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

snubbleste wrote: »
    No it is not too jokey.
    Some queries need to be responded with : why did you not try google? or detailed maps are freely available online or there does exist a directory of stockists with red ribbon bows called the golden pages.., etc.

This attitude mystifies me. Boards is above all a discussion forum where people can discuss issues, ask questions and provide answers. If I asked some friends/acquaintance down the pub the address of a particular establishment, I'd be disgusted to receive a chorus of 'check the golden pages'. Boards shouldn't be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

A bit of levity isn't always a bad thing, and goes a long way toward dealing with the doom-and-gloom-ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

being jokey is grand but inane or insulting 'having the craic' posts are at best unhelpful, or they become tedious and at worst have been plain racist or inciteful. I've read one poster's bio messages and they boast about their ambition of getting banned... so I'd like to see a moderate increase in the moderation of this kind of unhelpful 'wit'.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think it's one of the best forums on boards tbh.

It's also one of the best moderated.

If people have a problem with posts surely they can just report them?

My 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Listen here. We could be like all the other boring Regional forums or we could embrace our love of all things wacky.

We had a mega-thread on Knackerdwarf. We are huge fans of Warty Norah and her shenanigans.

From my experience nobody really ever insults fellow posters through jokes. If anything its the topics that are discussed that are involving funny antics (like the bus that crashed into the barrier at the Bank near the Docks).

TBH I wouldn't post anywhere near as much here if there wasn't an element of fun, not in every thread or anything but just the instinct when you open a thread that you might see a fantastic pun or anecdote.

Love this forum. Its very well moderated and I hope it stays the way it is.

BTW I don't mean we joke in every thread or set out to troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

biko wrote: »
    Certain posters does this on a regular basis and doesn't really add much anything else.

Singular or plural?

biko wrote: »
    Do you guys think the mods should clamp down on unhelpful/"funneh" posting more?

I reckon the forum will wane if this is the case.
    Check out the other regional forums for evidence of this, as many read like Politics or Personal issues.

Taking on poster Bog's analogy of a drinking establishment, ask yourself, do you want the Galway city forum to resemble a pub or a wine bar.
    Cos if the majority or the mods want a wine bar, then I'm pulling plant.
    Some will like that, some won't, but sure life goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Jokey is not the issue.

The issue is the massive over-moderation, where mods "give warnings" like they are sweets. Im not trying to be deliberately insulting; but the off topic warnings or locking threads at will is the reason why boards' mods have a reputation.

Stifling conversation is counterproductive. Its the reason why i rarely post. Last week there were 6 locked threads on the first page. Leave them be - doing no one any harm.

I agree with Dr Mc Manus thread locking and his deletion or whatever, because he was incessant. Thats the only place where moderation is needed.

Watch me get banned, deleted and my dog killed for daring to make such a post

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

One of the (two so far) people in the poll who didn't notice any issue.

The mods do a good job here, the forum has a good group of regulars and helpful posters.

It's fine the way it is.

/$0.02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Is it by any chance the same posters that submit most of the complaints??
    Ban them...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I may be guilty of the odd jokey post but I think it generally happens when there is someone annoying(you banned one recently) and the regular visitors kind of turn the tide on them to see if they will stop.
    Most people have a good sense of humour so it isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

I don't post that much here but I lurk quite a bit. I see nothing wrong with the funny posts except that the really funny ones make me spit tea at the screen on occasion. God knows things are depressing enough out there at present without a few posters becoming the joy police and dictating what they deem funny or not.
    Let it flow folks.

case in point...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68882007&postcount=112 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68882792&postcount=113

these lads seriously think this is witty or funny! maybe when growing our first chin hairs but jesus, grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jkforde wrote: »
    case in point...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68882792&postcount=112 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68882792&postcount=113

these lads seriously think this is witty or funny! maybe when growing our first chin hairs but jesus, grow up.

So good it was posted twice. ;)

nice edit.

Chin hairs are required to allow us link correctly it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I don't see whats wrong with the odd jokey posts, I dont post here much but do lurk a lot.
    Dont see the problem with having a giggle and I rarely see threads get derailed as a result
    It takes all sorts to make a good thread
    Informative + funny = quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I agree with most of the voters, there's enough depressing stuff on boards and in the world. The type of people that complain about these things will probably never be happy so if they don't like it they can ignore the criminals with their funneh funnies.

Long live Mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The type of people that complain about these things will probably never be happy so if they don't like it they can ignore the criminals with their funneh funnies.
    The type of people that ring liveline, moaning Michaels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

case in point...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68882007&postcount=112 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68882792&postcount=113

It is witty and funny, just not to you it seems....chill pills all round please:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Nothing worse than an over moderated message board.
    All the best boards in my experience are those with the least mod maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'm all for a little wit and a jokeee here and there. Fair anough, you can go to far, but I haven't seen it here myself. Lately though, I have noticed one or two with the "your jokes are not welcome here, this is a serious issue" kinda people... I think these people need to lighten up a little, if you feel the issue is serious enough, then post in a dedicate forum ie personal issues, balding ect ect.. If a joke does go to far there are proceedures to follow ie reporting, and I am all for that if deemed necessary....
    This forum represents a good cross seection of people regarding age/sex/religion/nationality, so maybe take a second before post bashing. I hope ya can figure out what I'm getting at here... Live and let live... If It's a joke you don't find funny, just leave it at that, if it's in such bad taste it troubles you for a time, report it, If you feel funnies are not necessary in particular thread let OP insist on it in post#1...
    This is just my honest opinion.......after a few bevvies, but it all makes sense to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Whinging like that is the reason boards.ie has the reputation it does. People need to chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Again, i'm mainly a lurker than a poster, but i wouldn't like here to be a place where you can't crack a joke without fear of getting a warning/ban.
    Once it's not taking a thread very off topic or in really bad taste, they should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Great forum, it ain't broken in any way, so need to fix it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Personally I tend to think that a slight decrease in the funnies could be good. Not a lot, and certainly not banning all of it.

Just a bit less, and maybe lay off sending the GAA lads to the gay bars: I'm kinda guessing that the locals in the bars might get sick of 'em.

And the only thing worse than an over-moderated forum is an under-moderated one: I'm old enough to remember BBS's before the internet and usenet before web-browsers - and to have abandoned 'em when Netscape brought the unwashed masses on online. And why did I leave? Because moderators hadn't figured out what sort of control these communities need with their new members.

dapto1 wrote: »
    Whinging like that is the reason boards.ie has the reputation it does. People need to chill out.

who's whinging where? this thread is an attempt to get the opinion of users' attitudes to where having the crack is welcomed and where it mightn't. by the way, what does 'chill out' mean in this context?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

who's whinging where? this thread is an attempt to get the opinion of users' attitudes to where having the crack is welcomed and where it mightn't. by the way, what does 'chill out' mean in this context?
    The people whinging are the people messaging mods to complain. They're the ones who need to chill out. Also the people who think there needs to be an increase in moderation.

It's only the internet lads, don't take it so seriously.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with someone coming on here and asking a question about Galway. Yes, they could google it - but not many people know how to use it properly. I think "you should just google it" type responses should be banned, because they offer absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand.

Bog wrote: »
    This attitude mystifies me. Boards is above all a discussion forum where people can discuss issues, ask questions and provide answers.

Discussion being the key word, a lot of people though use it as google.
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with someone coming on here and asking a question about Galway. Yes, they could google it - but not many people know how to use it properly. I think "you should just google it" type responses should be banned, because they offer absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand.

I'd rather ban the users who post the pointless threads tbh. They're never regular contributors, it's always the ones with the low post count.

Personally don't have any problem with posters asking about pubs for example, the door is left open for discussion even though it's been covered. But you get a lot of posters coming on looking for bus times etc.... which are clearly found if they take a second to think.

I doubt they can't use google. If you couldn't use google, unlikely you'd be able to set yourself up on boards.

Forums fine as it is...... not a patch on AH which starts with a thread title then comes the 150 different variations of the same/obvious joke. Everyone fighting to get the most ''thanks'' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Discussion being the key word, a lot of people though use it as google.

I'd rather ban the users who post the pointless threads tbh. They're never regular contributors, it's always the ones with the low post count.

Personally don't have any problem with posters asking about pubs for example, the door is left open for discussion even though it's been covered. But you get a lot of posters coming on looking for bus times etc.... which are clearly found if they take a second to think.

I doubt they can't use google. If you couldn't use google, unlikely you'd be able to set yourself up on boards.

Forums fine as it is...... not a patch on AH which starts with a thread title then comes the 150 different variations of the same/obvious joke. Everyone fighting to get the most ''thanks'' :rolleyes:

Bus timetables aren't clearly found though. Most bus stops have the schedule ripped out of them. It's a bit ridiculous to ban somebody for asking a question when they're new. How many of us here are regular contributors now, but asked stupid questions when we first came here?

How abouts this - if you think a question is stupid or your only response is "google it", then just don't post? Somebody who will have a helpful answer will then come along.

Advertisement