Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this forum too jokey?

Options

Comments

Bus timetables aren't clearly found though. Most bus stops have the schedule ripped out of them. It's a bit ridiculous to ban somebody for asking a question when they're new. How many of us here are regular contributors now, but asked stupid questions when we first came here?

How abouts this - if you think a question is stupid or your only response is "google it", then just don't post? Somebody who will have a helpful answer will then come along.

I didn't really mean they should be banned.... it was just you said ban the person who posts ''google it'' and i said i'd rather ban the person who makes the thread(in a straight choice)

I didn't really mean they should be banned.... it was just you said ban the person who posts ''google it'' and i said i'd rather ban the person who makes the thread(in a straight choice)

Oh we misunderstood each other in that case. I meant more the posts than the person themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jkforde wrote: »
    who's whinging where?

I'm sure Biko knows, as they are the ones making his batphone flash regularly

jkforde wrote: »
    this thread is an attempt to get the opinion of users' attitudes to where having the crack is welcomed and where it mightn't.

Thankfully the wet blankets are not having much effect so far.

On a side note, the posters on this thread who seem to have no problem with the jokes seem to be up in the high 1000's of postcounts.
    They've been around the forum for a long time, contributed much, and "get" the humour obviously.
    Would they have stayed around or posted as much if the Galway city forum had all the craic of a funeral home............... not saying that funeral homes are all no craic, after all they have fun in the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

didn't biko start a thread recently about welcoming the guests into the forum? a newbie shouldn't be banned just because they ask a question that may seem stupid.
    not everyone is adept with the internet and if someone comes into the GC forum looking for info that they could google, is it so hard to give a response that's helpful instead of giving them "google it"?
    i've often found that googling for info leads me to boards, so why wouldn't i ask here?

back to original topic. i think the forum's grand the way it is, it's just a place to discuss galway related topics and having the funneh gotten rid of wouldn't do the forum any good. the forum should be light-hearted and welcoming. i think the moderating's grand, and they're doing a good job imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

mikom wrote: »
    not saying that funeral homes are all no craic, after all they have fun in the name.

And funeral is also an anagram of "real fun".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdeere

lotta drysh1tes around if they think the city forum is too jokey. id say they are great fun on a night out. biko is doing a good job so leave it as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dapto1 wrote: »
    And funeral is also an anagram of "real fun".

And funeral sounds like "fun oral".
    I could go on.................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

If anything, the mods ruin the place by feeling the need to give it the big one at every opportunity. Even when nobody has stepped out of line you still get one of them popping in to remind everyone of their online authority.

It's quite a joke how seriously this place takes itself tbh, a bit of joking never hurt anyone as long as it isn't taking the threads totally off course. You see it on every forum on the internet though, moderators looking for any excuse to exercise their 'power'. I wonder has anyone conducted a study on it or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

mikom wrote: »
    And funeral sounds like "fun oral".
    I could go on.................

This and some other posts in the thread are good examples of "funneh" that is mostly inocuous and mostly inoffensive to anyone (as well as being fairly regular), and therefore I don't think this should start being over-moderated, or moderated more than it is. What's wrong with raising a smile while checking what's new on Galway boards?

I really think that the Galway City moderators run a tight enough ship overall, as I would be more concerned about offensive or siht-stirring remarks or posters, who are usually fairly quickly (and fairly in general :)) clamped down on or banned, with at least one very recent ban I can think of which was very welcome. This kind of moderation and responsibility is good to see, so no complaints from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It can be the low quality of the 'funneh' too (I know that's subjective but still..)
    For example there's a a regular poster here who sometimes 'goes too far' and who I suspect would have different world views to me, but often his/her wit is often brief and of a higher calibre than other longer homophobic/sexist/whatever RANTS. Somehow good funneh is less offensive.:p

A bit less of the *same* rants all the time, in terms of funneh would be my preference, and sometimes it does feel like trolling on the part of certain posters, but overall the mods do a pretty good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

This is a great forum as you can have the craic and it's isn't overly moderated like a lot of other forums. I love how a thread asking questions about flood defence can, in a short space of time, produce videos of Homer Simpson as town crier. There are a lot of witty, sarcastic posters on this form - long may it last.
    A bit less of the *same* rants all the time, in terms of funneh would be my preference, and sometimes it does feel like trolling on the part of certain posters, but overall the mods do a pretty good job.

The above poster has a point with this comment though. Recently, there has been a marked increase in the aount of Joe Duffy, 'won't someone please think of the children', bleeding heart, populist, posts/rants from the same couple of posters. Less of this pleeeze.

Keep up the hard work Mods, and each day you'll receive a shiny penny;

Zutroy.jpg

Ah yes, one person's bleeding heart comments are another persons glorious invitation to wonderfully witty funneh sarcasm:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Sorry, you can't post here, no jokes allowed...

Your post exceeds the quota for attempted witticism on this thread, please desist...

Your sense of humour is not the same as mine, therefore you should not post here...

Yeah, will the vocal minority please go away and let us enjoy our Galway forum complete with funneh. Oh, and welcome to the internet.

Ha ha! See, perfect opp for someone to make joke about telling minorities to go away. Yup, takes all sorts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I think posters who don't make me laugh once (minimum) in any week should be banned for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But you get a lot of posters coming on looking for bus times etc.... which are clearly found if they take a second to think.

Often they're wanting local info, eg is there a private bus, and there any other options, etc. And it's only foreigners who really expect that they'll be able to find good public transport information on the web: most Irish people just don't expect it, apart from the BÉ timetables that most OPs have already checked.

(Yup, I've spent a LOT of time researching this subject, and thinking about how to promote a website that people don't search for! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well so far 4 out of 5 posters don't think it's a issue so that good.
    Hopefully just by bringing attention to it will make people stop and think before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Since this thread was put up we have had a couple of serious threads posted. So far I don't see any 'jokey'(whatever that means, i'm not sure what it covers) posts in any of them.

Everyone has different ways of approaching things. There are a few posters in this forum I find very dry, serious and boring but I don't go running off to the mods about them. Live and let live. Internet: Srs Bsns and all that.

I think it was mentioned already; There are certain types of threads that seem to attract posters derailing them with jokes. i.e. the clueless new poster that could have used google. There are some posters like biko that are always helpful to those posters. Fair play for that. I usually ignore them cause I don't always have time or feel like hand-holding. That's one area where we could collectively give the constant jokey posts a miss.

Finally there was the guy that posted the thread about breaking the bed having sex with his girlfriend...
    DaCor wrote: »
    christ, I knew I was opening myself up for a lot of abuse, ye didn't disappoint

just glad I didn't go to AH with this lol

Got a PM off a lad already who might be able to help, thanks boards!

:D

That made me proud of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Being funny is fine in my opinion but being a smartarse is another matter.
    There seems to be a good bit of "i know more than you" larkey lately and also a good bit of bitchiness but sometimes it's better to just go with the flow because a forum that is too heavily moderated is worse than the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Sherifu wrote: »
    Since this thread was put up we have had a couple of serious threads posted. So far I don't see any 'jokey'(whatever that means, i'm not sure what it covers) posts in any of them.

Everyone has different ways of approaching things. There are a few posters in this forum I find very dry, serious and boring but I don't go running off to the mods about them. Live and let live. Internet: Srs Bsns and all that.

I think it was mentioned already; There are certain types of threads that seem to attract posters derailing them with jokes. i.e. the clueless new poster that could have used google. There are some posters like biko that are always helpful to those posters. Fair play for that. I usually ignore them cause I don't always have time or feel like hand-holding. That's one area where we could collectively give the constant jokey posts a miss.

Finally there was the guy that posted the thread about breaking the bed having sex with his girlfriend...
    DaCor wrote: »
    christ, I knew I was opening myself up for a lot of abuse, ye didn't disappoint

just glad I didn't go to AH with this lol

Got a PM off a lad already who might be able to help, thanks boards!

:D

That made me proud of this forum.

The-Dirty-Truth.gif

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Biko this forum is awesome... you only just have to take a peek into all the other regional ones to realise just how much! The mods do a great job, we all get what we're looking for and we have a laugh at the same time.
    Anyone who disagrees should get tag teamed by Warty Nora and the Knackerdwarf. /nods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

We might need a "General Chit chat / Randomness" Thread like in the Cork City Region. I personally think the Galway City side of it has gone down hill a bit. Its nowhere as good as it use to be. Just my opinion and not neccessarly the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

sgthighway wrote: »
    We might need a "General Chit chat / Randomness" Thread like in the Cork City Region. I personally think the Galway City side of it has gone down hill a bit. Its nowhere as good as it use to be. Just my opinion and not neccessarly the correct one.

Out of curiosity, in what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I don't mind funny; I think it's great at times. It's the smartarses needlessly being "smartarsey" that drive me mad. However, I've discovered the IGNORE button and that's solved the problem of one or two people for me.

All in all, I think the Moderators here do an absolutely brilliant job for little or no thanks. Well done guys/girls and many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

quick offtopic... but where is the Ignore Button? There's the User List option in a poster's profile but is there an actual button somewhere on a thread?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

click on a user's name to the left of their post, drop down menu appears and says "Add <name> to Ignore List"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Errr, you don't need a button to ignore something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Mactard wrote: »
    Errr, you don't need a button to ignore something.

Unfortunately, I, for one, amn't always so Zen like. I prefer to remove certain people from my Boards experience.

jkforde - whiteman19 showed you the way to perfect peace two posts back :D

• Advertisement

Other regional forums can be very dry so some humour is more than welcome just as long as it doesn't turn into AH.

Overall I am happy with the place - otherwise I wouldn't be posting here.

Advertisement