Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this forum too jokey?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

This forum rocks!!

Only problem I have with it is that there is soo much to read and catch up on it's that busy :pac::D

Seeing as I'm moving to Galway City in few months once the money situation is sorted I'm gonna be one of those newbies asking obvious questions.
    If some folks don't like it tough cookies! :p
    It's good to be able to ask local folks as they are the ones with experience and info that ya need.

The humour here is grand. As biko said now that the issue has been raised maybe it will make posters think before making smartarse funny comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Forum is fine as it is. One thing I would disapprove of is backseat modding like this being tolerated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I haven't been around this forum as much lately (for no other reason than time), but it has always been a little different to a lot of the other regional forums ... a bit more easy-going, a bit more light-hearted, sometimes zany, less of a tendency to take itself over-seriously.

Personally, I like that.

I think to an extent it reflects Galway as well, we're a city with on average quite a young population, including a huge student population; and in general most Galway people I know have quite a sharp wit as well, though it's not unkind or certainly seldom meant to be.

It probably also reflects the mods we have had over the years as well.

And the result is that this forum has generally been much more vibrant and active than most of the regional forums, and quite a pleasant place to drop in.

I'd hate to see that change tbh.

That said, I wouldn't like to see it going the road of AH either (not saying it has, as I say I haven't been around much, but it was mentioned above). It's possible to discuss something seriously, and still have a bit of wit involved without it taking over completely.

I'd also hate to see new people feeling unwelcome, even if their question is a bit silly ... the old tradition here was that the question got answered and *then* there might be a few jokey comments, rather than just smartass comments and nothing helpful. I would hope that would continue.

The good atmosphere in any forum is down to all users to maintain just as much as to the mods, more so in fact.

When I see a question pop up somewhere, even though it's the 100th time I've seen it, I always think "well, how would I feel if I was the n00b asking, and everyone shouted at me because it's been asked before?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

If you ask me the form has become a lot duller in the last 2 or 3 years. A lot more people who are just here to find a small phillips head screw driver in the Westside area and other mundane requests like that. That being said there is still some craic on it. Keep it way it is. If anything, ban people who ask boring questions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

this board used to be great when you could troll people without fear of bans.. the whole of boards is far too moderated now, its an INTERNET forum for gods sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I have noticed that the forum has become a good bit more serious in latter years (nothing wrong there). Gone are the days of the ridiculous threads like this one or this one or to a lesser extent this one

Exercising common sense when posting is a no-brainer. It's all about context. Obviously one isn't gonna make witty comments on a very serious thread, ie; reports of crime in Galway, someone asking for information on dealing with domestic violence etc etc.

But when it comes to more light hearted and fantastical topics such as people breaking their beds doing the horizontal tango, and our resident Roma gypsies selling more than just their roses at night, I purposefully open these threads to see the clever things written inside. If these things offend you, then I'm very sorry for the girthy tree branch up your arse, and urge you to visit one of the fine talented proctologists around our fair city.

I've noticed a distinct increase in high horsey-ness in recent times, a lot of holier-than-thou comments being thrown around, that very much take from the carefree, upbeat tone of the general forum.

I think the Mods are doing a great job, it's not easy on a forum like Galway, but I'm glad to see them maintain the fun, easy going atmosphere that keeps me coming back. WE LOVES YA GUYS!!!!

There are alot of very witty and amusing people on this forum, and I would absolutely detest to see them silenced. Many of us have been here for years, have regularly met each other offline and are well aware of the communally accepted humour. I agree a level of PC needs to be maintained, but not so much so that it becomes a fault.

We are Galwegians, we're all a little bit silly, I blame the cryptosporidium.

It ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

RHG I think a lot of people just come here for questions. They expect it to be just a cold place where there is little or no interaction in the threads outside of answers. I would think these are some of the people that want less funneh on this here forum.

I too long for the days of KD megathreads but maybe in this society where the smallest thing is cause for a court case it might not happen again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

RHG I think a lot of people just come here for questions. They expect it to be just a cold place where there is little or no interaction in the threads outside of answers. I would think these are some of the people that want less funneh on this here forum.

I too long for the days of KD megathreads but maybe in this society where the smallest thing is cause for a court case it might not happen again :(

Maybe there is a case to be made for a a more relaxed Galway private group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

mikom wrote: »
    Maybe there is a case to be made for a a more relaxed Galway private group.

6a00d8341cefbb53ef01157246f1d0970b800wi.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Echo

Echo

Echo

Echo

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

We are Galwegians, we're all a little bit silly, I blame the cryptosporidium.
    I would like to point out that the first time I ever posted on this forum, this bugger's ^^ response was to (virtually) feel me up!!

Can't say it discouraged me from posting here, probably the opposite as it had me laughing my hole off!

(His technique is fecking awful though, don't ever bother asking him for a reacharound!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Lol at 'KD' and 'smallest thing' in the same sentence :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lol at 'KD' and 'smallest thing' in the same sentence :-D
    100% unintentional

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

DRakE wrote: »
    this board used to be great when you could troll people without fear of bans.. the whole of boards is far too moderated now, its an INTERNET forum for gods sake

Agreed.
    AH has become a concentration camp.
    This forum is the only one left that has a shred of the old days left.

More of the 'funnehs' please.

Thing is that I don't think people are asking for the "funnehs", as you put it, to be gone - but if a new poster comes along and asks a question, then you don't have to post some stupid comment along the lines of, "why don't you google it?" or "been asked a hundred million GAZILLION times". If a thread annoys you, then just leave it be and let someone who has a proper reply come into the thread and give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

So what you mean is, you would like if people weren't c*nts and helped instead of posting something as useful as a cock flavoured lollipop (the 'use google' statement would tick this unhelpful box) ?
    Seems fair but if people did actually use search first they could have their question answered alot quicker. Maybe ask the boards admins to swap the positions of 'search' and 'new thread' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Thing is that I don't think people are asking for the "funnehs", as you put it, to be gone - but if a new poster comes along and asks a question, then you don't have to post some stupid comment along the lines of, "why don't you google it?" or "been asked a hundred million GAZILLION times". If a thread annoys you, then just leave it be and let someone who has a proper reply come into the thread and give it.
    do a search on boards,
    do a search on google,
    then post a thread.

Rocket Science 101

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's good that most people think the level of jokes are fine and just 15% think its too much.
    I'll unstick this now but feel free to continue discussing and also to report any posts that you find offensive/OTT in the forum.
    The mods will then decide what to do on each occasion.

DRakE wrote: »
    do a search on boards,
    do a search on google,
    then post a thread.

Rocket Science 101

OR -

see a thread you dislike
    leave thread alone
    let someone come along and give answer

Rocket Science 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

OR -

see a thread you dislike
    leave thread alone
    let someone come along and give answer

Rocket Science 101.
    I think leaving the slagging/jokes until the answer is in there is better. Sometimes it seems like people are trying too hard to be 'funny' and it comes off a bit school-yard bully like. On the flip side it would kill the board and community to be heavyhanded, I've gotten an awful lot out of being in Galway these past 3 years (almost) via this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thing is that I don't think people are asking for the "funnehs", as you put it, to be gone
    Are you talking about the people that complained to the mods? None of us know exactly what they were complaining about except the mods. If you're talking about the feedback in this thread then yes indeed, that's the case.
    - but if a new poster comes along and asks a question, then you don't have to post some stupid comment along the lines of, "why don't you google it?" or "been asked a hundred million GAZILLION times". If a thread annoys you, then just leave it be and let someone who has a proper reply come into the thread and give it.
    Agree 100%, the "Does the number X bus pass the hospital?" may have been done 100 times before but a lot of new posters don't know how to or are too lazy to search for it. Better off ignoring those threads if you don't want to help imo.

I blame the 'Galway in 2040' thread for starting this whole mess, obviously Galway will be underwater in 2040.

tl;dr version: We need more McLovin' threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Sherifu wrote: »
    Agree 100%, the "Does the number X bus pass the hospital?" may have been done 100 times before but a lot of new posters don't know how to or are too lazy to search for it. Better off ignoring those threads if you don't want to help imo.
    i think that (some) newbies do search, they don't realise that it's an old thread, post in it, then get given off to because it's a necro thread, and out of date. so what if a new thread is started, it's not like you don't get to see the most talked in threads as they keep coming up to the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Honestly, I think the poll itself is a little slanted - the b and c options
    No, it's fine the way it is
    and
    I haven't noticed any issue / meh

are kind of the same.

There have been a few points on here, which I have agreed with, but suspect 'voting wise' may have gone different ways to the posters.
    No one (well maybe some!) want all the craic gone, but it is a grey scale as to 'what's going too far'. Some people mentioned serious subjects, but the thing is if something is close and personal to a poster, that too becomes serious, and that's where the lines blur.

A middle one might have been: 'there have been some issues and a-hole posts that I'd rather see gone, but it's mostly fine.

Also, on the subject reporting something 'offensive' to a mod, I have a question (mainly for mods).
    There is nearly a stigma for 'tattling' on someone to mods, yet if people have a banter at it in posts, to sort it out themselves, it is kind of random when mods post 'please report' the post.

I've honestly only reported posts a few times in my whole time on the whole of boards, but do the mods *want* people to report rather than banter? I've seen a few light hearted attempts to keep people on topic etc recently by non-mod posters, followed by a post from a mod saying 'report this if you have a problem' or whatever. Do mods want all posts going against the charter reported, or let slip?

How does this work? Sometimes I see it when the banter is friendly still, and sometimes when it is getting heated. Is reporting the way mods prefer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

whiteman19 wrote: »
    i think that (some) newbies do search, they don't realise that it's an old thread, post in it, then get given off to because it's a necro thread, and out of date. so what if a new thread is started, it's not like you don't get to see the most talked in threads as they keep coming up to the first page.
    That's a fair point about being given off to about necro threads, sometimes they'll come straight to a thread from a google search and not be aware of how old the thread is and be told to start a new thread when they post in it.

On the other hand if they search and can't find what they need i'd be far more receptive to helping a person that starts off: 'I searched for X and couldn't find it, anyone know about it?'

In other cases it's a simple google search to find what they want and the person just can't be bothered.

I'd like to see less of the last case in an ideal world but i'll usually ignore them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

inisboffin wrote: »
    How does this work? Sometimes I see it when the banter is friendly still, and sometimes when it is getting heated. Is reporting the way mods prefer it?

It's pretty much "report anything you think should be looked at".
    It can go from outright abuse or various spam attempts to someone being a dick or just inappropriate. If for instance a newbie asks a question and someone posts a stupid remark it can drag the thread down and it's ends up a big mess with the poor newbie none the wiser.

In-forum banter is fine when everyone knows each other like most of us do but I don't want the forum to start getting an "AH feel". There's plenty of forums for that type of craic.

Reporting posts isn't touting, it just shows you want to help. I'd rather a report like "this thread needs attention, thing are getting heated" than not.
    Mods can't read everything so the report system is there to point out something we may have missed.

As for newbies posting without searching, that's fine - we were all new once, and I can always merge with the most recent thread on the same topic.
    Or take the new post off a zombie and make it its own thread.
    The google is not equally strong with everyone .

Advertisement