Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodland Planting

Options
  • 06-11-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi All.

I have a large 2 acre garden and I am planning to turn a large corner 400 sq metres maybe even more into a mixed native broadleaf plantation using 60-90cm bareroot transplants. I am trying to achieve omething similar to motorway embankment planting. Does anyone have any recommendation as to how many plants I would require?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

planting them so they end up maybe five foot apart, but in a random manner; planting in rows (even though it can happen naturally) can look false.
    are there any animals, such as deer or rabbits, in your garden which might nibble at the trees? if so, you may need tree guards. or a gun, but that's another debate.

anyway, at five foot intervals, about 200 trees sounds about right for a 20mx20m plot.

it's probably worh collecting some acorns, etc., locally, if you can find them, as you know they come from trees which do well in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Whoever you go to for the supply of your trees will be able to tell you. These people deal with these questions on a daily basis so best asking them id say.

Great idea by the way. Id love to see some pics of the process.

Advertisement