Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Thread 6/11/10

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Devil08 wrote: »
    I wouldnt - as someone once said about him -

''You were a crap player and you are a crap manager. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country and you’re not even Irish you English c*nt. You can stick it up your b*ll*cks''

i know this is a 'Utd thread' of sorts, but let's not start quoting Roy Keane to start justifying opinions on people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah but that fella was an idiot to say that. Mick McCathy was Irelands best manager in modern times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

SlickRic wrote: »
    i know this is a 'Utd thread' of sorts, but let's not start quoting Roy Keane to start justifying opinions on people.

He just so happens to share my opinion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Trilla wrote: »
    don't hate the Park, love him

LOVE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

''You were a crap player and you are a crap manager. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country and you’re not even Irish you English c*nt. You can stick it up your b*ll*cks''
    That would be a quote from a world class manager yeah?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have far more respect for McCarthy than Keane to be honest!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ahhhh the sweet sweet taste of a late winner. Only a pity it was a bit more controversial. I hate it when the goal is just a great finish after beating a few players. Much better if he'd been offside or something.

Oh well, there's always the next game.

L'prof wrote: »
    I have far more respect for McCarthy than Keane to be honest!

Each to their own! Its another days work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

mike65 wrote: »
    Yeah but that fella was an idiot to say that. Mick McCathy was Irelands best manager in modern times.

Hardly worth boasting about - its like being the only kid able to count to ten in the special class.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Working until the final whistle and grinding out them 3 points. Stuff champs are made off.

Wonder when the Park v Bale poll is gonna be put up because it sooooo obvious it's Park anyday of the week

• Advertisement

Working until the final whistle and grinding out them 3 points. Stuff champs are made off.

Wonder when the Park v Bale poll is gonna be put up because it sooooo obvious it's Park anyday of the week

DONE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm confused Chelsea scored late last week and it was the mark of champions, arsenal did the same, now utd score late and it's the mark of champions, ye all can't win it

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm confused Chelsea scored late last week and it was the mark of champions, arsenal did the same, now utd score late and it's the mark of champions, ye all can't win it

No, when United score late we are scum, lucky, and robbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

But unlike liverpool, all 3 teams will be in the shake up for the trophy;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mark of champions(' league teams)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Park can skin a dog quicker than bale skinned maicon, so by that logic parks a clear winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You have to admire aul niallo for continuing to look for an angle despite it being such a tough afternoon for him.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

flahavaj wrote: »
    You have to admire aul niallo for continuing to look for an angle despite it being such a tough afternoon for him.:o

*waves* flah style

flahavaj wrote: »

Sure it's only a bit of craic, don't take me too seriously, we have our problems getting back into the top 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I'm glad Liverpool aren't competing with Utd anymore. Their last minute winners don't bother me too much these days. If this was a couple of years ago I probably wouldn't go out tonight coz I'd be too pissed off.

I don't know why Utd fans refer to people who don't like Utd winning as ABU's. We don't like seeing them win coz we support rivalling clubs, its a common feature of football, much like how fans of Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs, Man City and Aston Villa will all want Wigan to beat Liverpool next weekend. They're not ABL's, they're looking out for their clubs best interests.

I'd be amazed if more than 5% of the fans posting anti Utd posts on this thread weren't fans of either Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal. Or Wolves of course.

Utd fans often seem outraged at the thought of people not wanting them to win.

And by the way in answer to all the posters asking what it must be like to be an "ABU", its utter hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

poor performance, but 3 points is 3 points. for all the abus out there, dont forget Chelsea, Arsenal and liverpool all scored late winners last week, while playing poor. it happens.

makes up a little for the silly points we lost in injury time to fulham though we should never be in that suituation against wolves.

mom voting for me -

Park
    Fletcher
    hernandez.

we were terrible in the first half, i think the hargreaves injury knocked the stuffing out of the crowd and the team. the atmosphere was very muted as he went down the tunnel and everybody sitting around me was just sickened. hopefully its just one of those injuries that comes with being out for so long and maybe theres another niggling injury or 2 along the way before full fitness.

wolves fans let themselves down by cheering the injury also. anyway, 3 points and relief is the main feeling this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

mom voting for me -

Park
    Fletcher
    hernandez.

Have seen a few recent games with Fletcher in the voting but i think this season he has been below par.I have championed his selection in years gone by when many if not most had their doubts about him but i feel he needs a kick in the ballsacks this season somewhat.It's like he is in a comfort zone at times. :(

Went Hernandez Obertan Park myself as i thought Chico did well enough in a odd selection front 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Happy to see us get the three points considering the amount of players we have out. In fairness, losing a player after 5 mins to injury meant we had to change our gameplan and introduce a player, who probably would have only got 10-20 mins gametime, very early on.

Need to develop our final ball a bit more and at times our ball retention was very poor.

Three points more though and I wonder how Chelsea or Arsenal would do missing so many key players against Wolves like we had to.

Three points more though and I wonder how Chelsea or Arsenal would do missing so many key players against Wolves like we had to.

Chelsea and Arsenal have been missing plenty of players over the last couple of years. Chelsea cope very well, Arsenal...not so much, I think we're improving in that regard though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sure it's only a bit of craic, don't take me too seriously, we have our problems getting back into the top 4

You mean problems getting out of the bottom 4 . .

• Advertisement

Chelsea and Arsenal have been missing plenty of players over the last couple of years. Chelsea cope very well, Arsenal...not so much, I think we're improving in that regard though!

It wasn't meant as a dig by the way, just a genuine thought of 'if Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, Lamps and Kalou' were out would they knock out a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It wasn't meant as a dig by the way, just a genuine thought of 'if Drogba, Anelka, Malouda, Lamps and Kalou' were out would they knock out a win.

Arsenal have had such key players out and have carved out wins over the last few seasons, though not enough of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

MR NINE wrote: »
    I'm glad Liverpool aren't competing with Utd anymore. Their last minute winners don't bother me too much these days. If this was a couple of years ago I probably wouldn't go out tonight coz I'd be too pissed off.

I don't know why Utd fans refer to people who don't like Utd winning as ABU's. We don't like seeing them win coz we support rivalling clubs, its a common feature of football, much like how fans of Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs, Man City and Aston Villa will all want Wigan to beat Liverpool next weekend. They're not ABL's, they're looking out for their clubs best interests.

I'd be amazed if more than 5% of the fans posting anti Utd posts on this thread weren't fans of either Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal. Or Wolves of course.

Utd fans often seem outraged at the thought of people not wanting them to win.

And by the way in answer to all the posters asking what it must be like to be an "ABU", its utter hell.

Nobody has a problem with people wanting United to lose . . Its the people that latch to any conspiracy and try to insult United's success's that are ABU's. Everything that United, their players or their manager do is blown out of all proportions and multiplied by 10 in comparison to similar actions performed by other teams/players/managers.

Going into a United match thread to announce that you are delighted with them stumbling along is nothing more then trying to get up the nose of United fans . .

Refs giving united an advantageous decision is followed by "typical united getting the decisions", anything thats against United is "justified for all the luck they get". .

When united win a game in injury time its fergie time, irrespective of whether or not the time was warranted.

Cheating by United players is 10 times worse then cheating by other teams players.

I could go on, but I presume you get the point . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fantastic result when you look at who we had missing.
    Berba, Rooney, Valencia, Nani, Giggs and Carrick plus one or two more squad players.
    Plus I read that one or two of the players that started today were sick but I don't know if thats bull, probably is.
    Still, a brilliant result :).

I know. Chelsea's squad is just so strong, I'd expect them to overturn teams regardless and Arsenal haven't really had a full squad to choose from in years, but can still get the points on the board. I know they don't do it often enough, but I think they've been much stronger over the last couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

I know. Chelsea's squad is just so strong, I'd expect them to overturn teams regardless and Arsenal haven't really had a full squad to choose from in years, but can still get the points on the board. I know they don't do it often enough, but I think they've been much stronger over the last couple of seasons.

Is it that strong though, I mean they have a squad of about 17 first class players, but happens if drogba and anelka get injured or if terry and Alex get injured, a bad run of injuries and having to play 50 plus games is going hurt Chelsea, it's Chelsea or utd for me arsenal will fall apart like they always do

Is it that strong though, I mean they have a squad of about 17 first class players, but happens if drogba and anelka get injured or if terry and Alex get injured, a bad run of injuries and having to play 50 plus games is going hurt Chelsea, it's Chelsea or utd for me arsenal will fall apart like they always do

Just Chelsea for me, United aren't as strong and Essien will be a massive boost from last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Just Chelsea for me, United aren't as strong and Essien will be a massive boost from last season!

On paper they are stronger but we have been hearing that for 6 years now...Seems we have done ok in those 6 years with a weaker squad. :p

I think they're squad has gotten weaker since last season - even if it is only in terms of numbers. They didn't bring anyone in yet the likes of Ballack (who wasn't exactly great but decent and experienced to have against sides down the table) are no longer there as backup. Their first 12-16 players are among the best in the world but if I was a Chelsea fan I'd worry if there was injury to the likes of Malouda, Anelka and Drogba as I don't think they have as much strength in depth up front as they have in the rest of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

None of those players ever really get injured though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Spot on Niallo, if they lose Drogba and terry, they are ****ed.

kryogen wrote: »
    None of those players ever really get injured though :)

Neither does Frank Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Injury time is part of the game. It doesn't matter if you score in the first minute or the last minute of injury time it still counts. And moaning or complaining over it is ridiculous. Its the very same as saying a team was lucky to score in the 57th minute. Just because its right at the end means nothing unless its happening every week at the same time.

This is going down a random thoughts line now. I just can't help thinking that all this injury time stuff is all about creating controversy. I mean why can't the ref stop the clock like in almost every other sport? That way there will be no controversy over how much injury time was played. Like he blows his whistle and and waves his hand a certain way to the clock operator and the clock stops while substitutions are happening and when there are injuries.

And also on red cards/suspensions. Its such a stupid system. Like a player gets a red card for lets say being last man back and stopping a clear goal chance. So the guy then has to sit out the next match.

Can anybody tell me how that makes any sense? What has the next match got to do with anything. And not only that but it could be actually hampering the team who he committed the foul against to have him suspended for the next game. Just imagine the second last game of the season and a random team is playing against Manchester United who are vying for the league title. Their best player gets caught out of position and stops Rooney or whoever when he is last man back in the 90th minute. So this player gets sent off and United fail to score in injury time. Ok so United got an advantage of an extra man for a couple of minutes but....

lets say this random team is playing Chelsea in the last game of the campaign and they are United's rivals for the title. Now this suspension is weakening the random team for the match against the title rivals of the team he got sent off against. How is that fair?

Random ranty thought process over:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Neither does Frank Lampard.

think you may have misunderstood me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I people dont get suspended for getting a red card messi would have no legs left by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The whole 'injury time' really annoys me because the amount of time the ball is actually in play is on average only 26mins per half!! Yes thats 26mins!!
    Get your head around that stickler, the amount of time the ball is 'out of play': Corners/Throwins/Free kicks/ Kick-outs/Fouls/Subs its absolutely nuts when you add up some actual 'ball in play' and some dont even reach the 60min mak. Thats 20mins wasted with the ball out of play!

eagle eye wrote: »
    Injury time is part of the game. It doesn't matter if you score in the first minute or the last minute of injury time it still counts. And moaning or complaining over it is ridiculous. Its the very same as saying a team was lucky to score in the 57th minute. Just because its right at the end means nothing unless its happening every week at the same time.

This is going down a random thoughts line now. I just can't help thinking that all this injury time stuff is all about creating controversy. I mean why can't the ref stop the clock like in almost every other sport? That way there will be no controversy over how much injury time was played. Like he blows his whistle and and waves his hand a certain way to the clock operator and the clock stops while substitutions are happening and when there are injuries.

And also on red cards/suspensions. Its such a stupid system. Like a player gets a red card for lets say being last man back and stopping a clear goal chance. So the guy then has to sit out the next match.

Can anybody tell me how that makes any sense? What has the next match got to do with anything. And not only that but it could be actually hampering the team who he committed the foul against to have him suspended for the next game. Just imagine the second last game of the season and a random team is playing against Manchester United who are vying for the league title. Their best player gets caught out of position and stops Rooney or whoever when he is last man back in the 90th minute. So this player gets sent off and United fail to score in injury time. Ok so United got an advantage of an extra man for a couple of minutes but....

lets say this random team is playing Chelsea in the last game of the campaign and they are United's rivals for the title. Now this suspension is weakening the random team for the match against the title rivals of the team he got sent off against. How is that fair?

Random ranty thought process over:o

Completely agree with the suspension thing actually. I've always found it a bit stupid that the player gets suspended but it's does his suspension against another team. I find that the player who gets the red, should be suspended for the next fixture between those two teams.

Only thing is, if the team has already played both the home fixture and then the away fixture and he got the red card in the second fixture, well if the club sell the player in question, the player gets away with the suspension and the team who he played for, also gets away with getting one of their players suspended.

Realistically, it's best to suspend straight away. There are times when it would have been better to have a player suspended against you but it 's weaken the team who have had the player get a red but it has a way of evening itself out.

Lot at City, they now have a player suspended against United for the red he got at the weekend.

I'm sure it has it's pro's and con's and the system will not change.

The whole 'injury time' really annoys me because the amount of time the ball is actually in play is on average only 26mins per half!! Yes thats 26mins!!
    Get your head around that stickler, the amount of time the ball is 'out of play': Corners/Throwins/Free kicks/ Kick-outs/Fouls/Subs its absolutely nuts when you add up some actual 'ball in play' and some dont even reach the 60min mak. Thats 20mins wasted with the ball out of play!

Well I'm happy there is injury time. It means more football to play and the more of it there is, the better. It's some sort of way to make up for the 19 minutes that's missing per half. I don't care whether it's my team playing or not, if my team is a winning or losing, the longer it goes on for, usually the happier I am. Ahhhhh football, LOVE IT!

Advertisement