Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the never ending expanding empire that is NUIG

Options
  • 06-11-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

nice to see the college still has money and the land across the river now belong to the college. I would imagine they will build a car park around the bridge, but does anyone know what they intend to build beside Galway united?
    students have already started to leave their cars along the dyke road. it will soon lead to chaos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

was chatting to someone at that Galway2040 meeting yesterday who said that NUIG own all the lands on the west bank between the cathedral to Dangan; no idea of the western limit of the lands but that is some landbank and what with creeping privatisation of the educational system....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Fuinseog wrote: »
    nice to see the college still has money and the land across the river now belong to the college.

I received a copy of Cois Coiribe last week and a lovely letter was attached. The letter was basically looking for money from alumni. After doing a degree and a master there I wouldn't give them a cent. I can only comment on the courses I did but the educational standards were crap, the majority of my lecturers were horrible and the place is a rip-off. Good luck to them and their shiny new buildings :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I received a copy of Cois Coiribe last week and a lovely letter was attached. The letter was basically looking for money from alumni. After doing a degree and a master there I wouldn't give them a cent. I can only comment on the courses I did but the educational standards were crap, the majority of my lecturers were horrible and the place is a rip-off. Good luck to them and their shiny new buildings :rolleyes:

hear hear.once you experience the same degree course elsewhere you realise that something is lacking. they really do have to pull up their socks and stop handing out degrees to anyone and everyone who pays them enough, but we digress.
    the Iodine will possibly be built upon.

Do they own the iodine factory? I'd say that's a protected structure...or at least it should be. Some planner might be in line for a James J. Browne envelope :) Seriously though, I'd say the land costs are the biggest expense so if they already own it then that's a huge plus for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Do they own the iodine factory?

Iodine factory is on the eastern side, don't know if they own any eastern lands

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    Iodine factory is on the eastern side, don't know if they own any eastern lands

so is galway united and the fields across the road from it are according to a sign NUIG lands, though what they intend to do remains a mystery. This could possibly encompass Jordans Island.

BTW would Galway be screwed without NUIG?

NUIG would be screwed without Galway. I think it's Galway City that makes NUIG attractive to students from around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Was going off topic there, so I won't digress.
    Considering the size of the new engineering building and it's capacity, surely it's against some road safety rules that there's insufficient parking now for everyone?
    Who is the governing body over that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Eviledna wrote: »
    Considering the size of the new engineering building and it's capacity, surely it's against some road safety rules that there's insufficient parking now for everyone?

Why provide more parking when the roads are'nt capable of the traffic. I agree with the points here but all faculty and students start and finish with all the workers in the city thus everyone is on the rd at the same time and having another 4/500 cars from the increased size of the uni will be chaotic, as i've said on the other thread here, sort out the damn public transport..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There is a new park and ride facility for the UNI out near Dangan - on the road into corrib village you take a left. It's for staff and students

http://www.nuigalway.ie/buildings/park_and_ride.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats an improvement on my day when the park and ride was out in Silver Strand after the Oasis closed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

so is galway united and the fields across the road from it are according to a sign NUIG lands, though what they intend to do remains a mystery. This could possibly encompass Jordans Island.

Galway United own no land. NUIG do not own the land that Terryland Park is situated on. It it is held in trust by the Galway FA "for the benefit of soccer in Galway" or something of that nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

jkforde wrote: »
    was chatting to someone at that Galway2040 meeting yesterday who said that NUIG own all the lands on the west bank between the cathedral to Dangan; no idea of the western limit of the lands but that is some landbank and what with creeping privatisation of the educational system....
    That sounds very Israel-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

hear hear.once you experience the same degree course elsewhere you realise that something is lacking. they really do have to pull up their socks and stop handing out degrees to anyone and everyone who pays them enough

In the name of balance, I finished a degree in NUIG last year and found its academic standards excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

nice to see the college still has money and the land across the river now belong to the college. I would imagine they will build a car park around the bridge, but does anyone know what they intend to build beside Galway united?
    students have already started to leave their cars along the dyke road. it will soon lead to chaos.

I walk into college along dyke road 5 days a week and I've never seen any student cars left there, there are a few cars that are parked along the road every day(and I mean, very few) but they're outside houses and they're there no matter how early I leave so I assume they just belong to the people living in the houses. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eviledna wrote: »

Galway City Council is the body that grants planning permission.

However planning these days explicitly aims to not provide on-site parking for everyone, because shortage of car-parks is one of the best motivators to get people to use alternative modes that are better for the environment and the people (thinking about obesity etc).

Galway Clinic is a great example of this: some of the staff there are quite annoyed that the council wouldn't let them put more parking on-site, and that instead they need to provide a shuttle bus from a park-and-ride in Roscam. But this arrangement has a lot of benefits in terms of reduced traffic. And it makes a shared-transport arrangement possible for people who don't have cars, or who can't use their cars 'cos they won't be able to drive after their treatment.

Galway United own no land. NUIG do not own the land that Terryland Park is situated on. It it is held in trust by the Galway FA "for the benefit of soccer in Galway" or something of that nature.

i said the land across from Galway United, not galway united itself. caithfidh tu na posts a leamh i gceart.

dapto1 wrote: »
    In the name of balance, I finished a degree in NUIG last year and found its academic standards excellent.

now compare and contrast with other NUI universities.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I walk into college along dyke road 5 days a week and I've never seen any student cars left there, there are a few cars that are parked along the road every day(and I mean, very few) but they're outside houses and they're there no matter how early I leave so I assume they just belong to the people living in the houses. :confused:

you will always recognise the student car with its ninties reg. castlelawn is full of such cars. the residents know which cars are supposed to be there and which ones are not. its the same in newcastle estates and is spreading to the dyke. this is a new development.

BTW can anyone shed light on my original query of what is to be built across from the football stadium?

now compare and contrast with other NUI universities.

Fair point. I will say however that two of my classmates now work in the same department in other NUI universities in Ireland and both agree that NUIG's is better in nearly every way.

• Advertisement

you will always recognise the student car with its ninties reg. castlelawn is full of such cars.
    Castlelawn is also full of students.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Haven't seen many students with 90's reg plates in the last 2 years. Usually 02 and up

Advertisement