Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting second laptop to my UPC Wireless

• 06-11-2010 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all, first time poster, I searched but couldn't find a thread with what I was asking.

A couple of months ago, we got UPC wireless broadband, its a Cisco EPC2425 modem. The installation guy set up my pc to work with this modem.
    My wife and son have ipods/ps3 which we could connect to the wireless network no porblem using the password given.

However my son has a laptop which he only uses ocassionally and we cannot connect it to the modem. It picks up the wireless network but cannot connect.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Hi all, first time poster, I searched but couldn't find a thread with what I was asking.

A couple of months ago, we got UPC wireless broadband, its a Cisco EPC2425 modem. The installation guy set up my pc to work with this modem.
    My wife and son have ipods/ps3 which we could connect to the wireless network no porblem using the password given.

However my son has a laptop which he only uses ocassionally and we cannot connect it to the modem. It picks up the wireless network but cannot connect.

Any help would be appreciated
    I had this issue the other day when we got BB and it was set up on my girfriends laptop.

I couldnt connect from my laptop even though i could see the wireless network.

How I fixed it was log on to your modem, go to wireless security and disable WPS Config. Once I did that I could connect my laptop no problem. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Whitehall_Bohs

Cheers but it was already disabled on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you could try changing the wireless channel, it may be that others in your area are using the same channel and it's preventing a connection. i was troubleshooting a similar wireless problem for a friend who had several wireless devices and all of them could connect to his router fine except one laptop and it turned out that a couple of his neighbours were using the same or overlapping wifi frequencies and for some reason this one laptop just wouldn't connect.

download inSSIDer onto a laptop with wireless and have it running whilst you wander round your house (easiest to just walk to every window front & back, up & down) and see what other wireless routers are within range that could be interfering with your signal.

you'll notice that several wireless channels overlap slightly, so look for the biggest gap shown on inSSIDer and change your router to use that channel.

you may (or may not) have to manually re-connect some of the other wireless devices before they will work again on the new channel, but that should (hopefully) sort it for you.

word of warning though before you make any changes, make sure you have an ethernet cable handy to connect to the router physically in case you lose wireless connectivity altogether or you could end up a tad stuck if it doesn't all go right first time. :)

Advertisement