Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Arann to Start flying to Southend from Waterford early next year.

Options
  • 06-11-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Aer Arann is to start operating from Southend airport, 40 miles from London, following an investment from the airport’s owners the Stobart transport group.

Flights to Waterford and Galway will start on March 28, with more destinations, including those aimed at business travellers, to be scheduled later next year.

Stobart has invested heavily in the airport, which opens a dedicated rail station in December within walking distance of the terminal that will link it with the City of London in 50 minutes. The airport hopes to benefit from the 2012 Olympics and to emulate some of the success of London City airport.

Aer Arann is to emerge from examinership on Wednesday (November 10) following the cash injection from Stobart and other investors. The Dublin-based airline, which flies as Aer Lingus Regional as well as under its own brand, sought protection from its creditors in August. Under the Irish system, troubled companies can do so while they restructure or seek investors.

(But does this mean They will Cancel the Waterford-Luton Serivce?) i hope not!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Southend seems like an odd choice. I would have thought they would have more customer demand for somewhere like Liverpool or Edinburgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hard to see why they woud keep both, esp as they are equi-distant from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Probably Luton is a more expensive option, they could get a better deal at Southend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Southend seems like an odd choice. I would have thought they would have more customer demand for somewhere like Liverpool or Edinburgh.
    But when you have a group based in Southend injecting your business with cash, with the sole intention of developing a route between the two airports, it's difficult to look at alternatives!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Glad to see Aer Arann sorting things out so quickly but I'm really hoping they can keep the Luton flight going. It's been very handy for work. Might not be too bad though if the rail service is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Look lads, so long as there are still flights going from Waterford thats a good thing.

So long as they dont end up in Ulaan Bator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

AdMMM wrote: »
    But when you have a group based in Southend injecting your business with cash, with the sole intention of developing a route between the two airports, it's difficult to look at alternatives!

Don't Stobart own/have shares in Southend Airport as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Junior wrote: »
    Don't Stobart own/have shares in Southend Airport as well ?

Yeah they do according to the 1st post.

This new route suits me perfectly, I use the Luton service weekly, and until now it has been taking me over an hour to drive to my destination in SE london. So coming in from essex will mean I dont have to go half way around the M25 anymore. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Look lads, so long as there are still flights going from Waterford thats a good thing.

So long as they dont end up in Ulaan Bator

+1

If the southend route keeps em in waterford more routes will follow when things pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Looks like it will be just as good for London, but terrible for connecting flights. As in, you could fly to Galway or Jersey once a week -- and we can fly directly to Galway.

With Luton, you had an Easyjet hub. This is a terrible shame. Still, I do reckon they will try to get some low cost carrier in there to create a hub with low taxes.

The airport once carried 700K passengers per year back in its heyday so it *should* be bigger than Waterford airport. That said, Waterford currently handle more passengers!

It really all depends on what Stobart want to do with it. By investing in Aer Arann and the airport, you'd hope that they would invest in trying to get Ryanair or Easyjet or someone in there, to make good on their investments to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 klipdrift

I hope the keep the Galway route open as i use it weekly and our office is only 15min from Luton. Should the just use Sth End, then i would have to consider alternative route as a drive on anyafternoon to south end is out of the question. + train journey time etc just as bad. so heres hpoing there not thinking of dropping the Galway/Waterford/Luton route.

klipdrift wrote: »
    I hope the keep the Galway route open as i use it weekly and our office is only 15min from Luton. Should the just use Sth End, then i would have to consider alternative route as a drive on anyafternoon to south end is out of the question. + train journey time etc just as bad. so heres hpoing there not thinking of dropping the Galway/Waterford/Luton route.

They said Galway and Waterford routes were moving... but I hope they will see sense and not move all of them.

It's annoying change, but I guess others nearer Southend will benefit... if and when they find out there's an airport nearby.

I worked in South End and i can tell you apart from the wee small dark hours its a nightmare drive from any part of London N/Nw ish. The rail links to london are rammo also at peak and peakish times, soooooo i think its a bad move to tell you the truth. But Im sure it will suit some people.

I wonder if Aer Arann ever bothered to conduct a survey amongst the flyers who use these routes....!, it would have made good sense to do so!.

I had best start looking at Mr O Leary and Co for my travel arrangements.

Better cancel my Easter booking, all though i have several bookings between now and March allready booked.

KC:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

A new rail station is being constructed at Southend Airport: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southend_Airport_railway_station

It looks like a stopping service into Liverpool Street. This is OK for central London, but Luton was on Thameslink which was good for NW, Central and South London.

Retrograde move in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The Waterford to Luton route would be busiest and most profitable, the landing fees are expensive in Luton, and if these new investors have shares at southend Airport, might be the cheaper option for them to use, But I would much prefer Luton

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

I think we should be grateful that we will still have a London(ish) service. I thought Aer Arann were screwed and we would have no airport.

Stop moaning, not as if we are going to be able to afford these flights after Christmas anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Thats the thing with Waterford Airport, I said it years ago, what would happen if Aer Arann went belly up. The saying goes never put all your eggs in the one basket:)

Hi,

Has anyone got any idea what the increase would be in flight times from Waterford & Galway.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

About 10 mins I say.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    About 10 mins I say.

Or less, depending on the orientation of the runway, etc. I mean these planes only slow down when they're coming in to land and up till then they are going at full tilt.

Distance (as crow flies)
    Waterford-Luton: 460km
    Waterford-Southend: 540km

Given same time for landing, how much more time is the plane flying at cruise speed for to make up the 80km difference?

Cruise speed of Aer Arann planes (ATR 72-201): 481km/h

Extra time for Southend flight on that basis: 10mins exactly.

So, yeah pretty good guess. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It also depends on the active runway (even if there's only one, it's considered to be two runways, since there are two directions you can land in, hence runway 10/28 in Dublin for example). The active runway normally depends on the wind direction on the day, but may be varied due to concerns like noise reduction, etc.

Southend's runway is 06/24, so more or less east-west. If the active runway is 06 then presumably an approach from Waterford would be more or less "straight in" from the west, whereas if 24 is active, any plane coming from the west would have to fly some miles to the east of the airport before then approaching from the east.

AFAIR, Luton is generally an easterly approach, so planes arriving from Waterford have to go around, adding about 10 minutes. The same applies in reverse since leaving Luton is generally a westward departure so the plane is already heading for Waterford as it climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

At present Aer Arann have said they will be starting flight to Waterford from Southend nothing about them discontinuing their Luton service so I think we should wait and see as we could see Waterford getting another London route

Reply as i got it from Aer Arann this morning. :D, how open ended do you like your answers. I was trying to get an answer before i block book say 20 flights for early 2011.

Thank you for your e-mail.

At the moment, it is likely that we will include flights from Southend to Galway and Waterford in future. However, no decision has been made at present to withdraw the Luton routes.

Kind Regards,

Christine Queally

| Aer Arann Customer Relations
    | Caislean, Tully, Inverin, Co Galway
    | Fax: +353-91-541998
    www.AerArann.com

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Exactly Aer Arann are not going to shoot themselves in the foot and move a flight has is the biggest earner for them

Ohh, i dare say the will move the flights to SEA. I will be more than surprised if they dont.
    Anyway, i will hold off booking the flights until something "more firm" has been announced. I mean afterall, if they were not even considering it, i would have expected a reply which said " yes by all means go ahaed and book your flights, the route will be there...! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I wish Aer Arann would open up a good London route. the way it stands at the moment is that its cheaper and quicker to go to Dublin airport and fly to Heathrow. Just out of curiosity what are the Landing fee's for Luton, Heathrow, London city and Gatwick?

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I wish Aer Arann would open up a good London route. the way it stands at the moment is that its cheaper and quicker to go to Dublin airport and fly to Heathrow. Just out of curiosity what are the Landing fee's for Luton, Heathrow, London city and Gatwick?

How is it quicker to go to Dublin first exactly? You have an additional 1hr 50min drive, not including factoring in another 30mins for the rare delay on the M50 and another hour in the airport compared to Waterford.

Then the Heathrow Express is still 15-20mins compared with the fast Luton service which is 30-40 (plenty of longer services too) + 10 mins for shuttle bus. So you probably save 30mins with Heathrow, all things being equal. Hardly justifies traveling to Dublin to fly out of the busiest airport in the country.

I think most people find the extra cost worth it when you can get flights for around €100. You won't save much going through Dublin + petrol/train on that unless you get a very cheap Ryanair flight. And Ryanair hardly flies out of Heathrow -- unless something has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I reckon for those trips where time is the major factor then you can't beat leaving the house and being at the local airport in 15 mins. Where cost is the major factor I'm happy to do the rabid express and Ryanair from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

For any film buffs, Southend Airport was featured in Goldfinger and Mike Bassett: England Manager.

I grew up a mile from Southend airport. Stobbard has big plans to turn it into the new City Airport so whilst there aren't many destinations serviced there currently, that should change over the next couple of years.

Selfishly, I'm hoping that ultimately there's a Southend to Dublin route as that would be incredibly useful for me in terms of seeing the Parents!

Advertisement