Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access - Linking Tables

Options
  • 06-11-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Apologises if this is the wrong forum, but at the core its a database problem. I've attached a screenshot of the relationships. On a basic level it is a database to query job applications.

On the left I have two tables linked by a Applicant Reference number. In one table is all their details (Name, address etc) and in the second is a set of skills they have. This links up find and I can query these tables.

On the right I have a main job table. This links back to further tables with more detail such as the employer name etc.

What I can't seem to do is link the Applicants with the jobs. So for instance, if a job requires someone to be a Electrician, I can't query. I know what applicants are Electricians but I can't query to the jobs that have the Electrician as skill.

What I need to be able to do is ask the database to return the names of applicants and jobs to suit them i.e. Names of all the Plumbers and available plumbing jobs.

You will note the Applicant Skills table (Extreme left) has the same two fields (Primary and Second Skill) as the Job table.

Any help would be most appreciated!

5150651147_3584cf3379_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

You appear to be missing.
    I hope this is not homewokr
    SELECT * FROM
    ApplicantTable AppT JOIN
    ApplicantSKills AppS
    ON Appt.ApplicantRefNumber = Apps.ApplicantRefNumber
    JOIN
    jobs JB ON
    JB.PirmarySkill = Apss.PrimarySkil

should do it.

you should really have a Skills table though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thank you for getting back to me. Its not homework. Personal study really.
    SELECT * FROM
    ApplicantTable AppT JOIN
    ApplicantSKills AppS
    ON Appt.ApplicantRefNumber = Apps.ApplicantRefNumber
    JOIN
    jobs JB ON
    JB.PirmarySkill = Apss.PrimarySkil

How would that work under relations in MS Access? Would I have a relation between the Job Skill and the Applicant Skill?

With regards to a Skills table, how would that link into the general schema?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

yes but you should really have a skills table with a unique skillsid and join both to that.

Advertisement