Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat wave in Czech Republic

Options
  • 06-11-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

A new temperature high was recorded on Friday in the Czech Republic. In Prague, the thermometer soared to 18 degrees Celsius, and in the south of the country it was as warm as 20 degrees. Over the last week the country witnessed a spell of unusually warm weather, with Prague breaking the 1948 record. According to meteorologists, for Friday the norm was exceeded by over six degrees. However, Sunday is expected to bring a drastic temperature drop of around 10 degrees.

there is some strange weather going on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I was in the Czech Republic before and it was over 30 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Theres nothing particularly extraordinary about that temp, very warm for the time of year but no more so than 18 degrees at midnight in oakpark this week . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

I was in the Czech Republic before and it was over 30 degrees.

This is winter. Nov 4th.
    Theres nothing particularly extraordinary about that temp, very warm for the time of year but no more so than 18 degrees at midnight in oakpark this week . . .

Yes there is. For the time of year is a bit of cop-out. A bit like dismissing snow in July because it didnt stick and you saw more snow in January, so whats the fuss?

What happened on November the 3rd and 4th was unusual: the 18+ degrees recorded in England, London ( where I was), Ireland and a lot of Europe was once in a lifetime. It gets dark at 4:30pm in London, at 5PM the temp was still 17 degrees and I could walk around in my overcoat, feeling uncomfortable hot while some shops had early christmas lights glowing. That was very weird. It never happened to me before, It probably wont again.

The last time was 1948 - for some places it was the hottest november night and day on record. For most, the hottest is a lifetime, since very few people were around in 1948.

Meanwhile a minor storm hits Ireland today, not so much once in a lifetime, as once in a year, or a few months: and gets a lot of interest from weather fiends.

Surely people interested in weather would find the OP's post interesting, and not dismiss it as normal. It clearly wasnt.

Yes there is. For the time of year is a bit of cop-out. A bit like dismissing snow in July because it didnt stick and you saw more snow in January, so whats the fuss?

What happened on November the 3rd and 4th was unusual: the 18+ degrees recorded in England, London ( where I was), Ireland and a lot of Europe was once in a lifetime. It gets dark at 4:30pm in London, at 5PM the temp was still 17 degrees and I could walk around in my overcoat, feeling uncomfortable hot while some shops had early christmas lights glowing. That was very weird. It never happened to me before, It probably wont again.

The last time was 1948 - for some places it was the hottest november night and day on record. For most, the hottest is a lifetime, since very few people were around in 1948.

Meanwhile a minor storm hits Ireland today, not so much once in a lifetime, as once in a year, or a few months: and gets a lot of interest from weather fiends.

Surely people interested in weather would find the OP's post interesting, and not dismiss it as normal. It clearly wasnt.

What I meant is that the czech republic temp. wasn't any more extraordinary than the high temps everywhere else all over Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Considering about 49-50 weeks ago we had the first snow, ~+18 is quite unusual. It hit 17 here in Brno on Friday. I was roasting in work, because I had my novy zimni boty(new winter boots) on, and my heavy trousers.

It hit +13 today but it looks a lot more wintry today. Very dull and cloudy all day and a definite 'nip' in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

This is winter. Nov 4th.

This is autumn. Nov4th. Just in case :D
    i mean in all other countries outside Ireland:)

This is autumn. Nov4th. Just in case :D
    i mean in all other countries outside Ireland:)

Probably not just Ireland. Winter from Nov to Feb is what I think defines the real seasons ( although mid nov to mid feb is better). March 20th is not winter, December 20th is not Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Bulgaria basked in unusually warm temperatures on the weekend of November 6 and 7 2010, with several towns experiencing record temperatures and some swimmers braving the early winter seawater at the country’s Black Sea coast. The relatively warm temperatures would continue in the first few days of the week, but the weather would be changeable and rain was possible in the Rhodopes, according to the November 7 weather forecast on Bulgarian National Television. The Bulgarian Academy of Science’s National Institute for Meteorology and Hydrology said that November 7 saw temperature records set at 12 weather stations, including 25 degrees Celsius in Pazardzhik and, among others, 24 degrees in Varna, the country’s main city on the Black Sea coast. The previous day, 18 new records were set, the highest in Vidin at 26.4 degrees, and others including Plovdiv 25 degrees. The seawater temperature was 15 degrees, and national Bulgarian television stations showed a few people taking to the water, with one swimmer saying that the experience was "a gift of nature, a gift of God".

Im taking it that this will be the same weather that set the czechs one up

Im taking it that this will be the same weather that set the czechs one up

A lot warmer this time though!!!

There getting it all now 122kmh winds

Strong winds will continue to buffet Bulgaria on November 10 2010, and are will last overnight in most areas, meteorologists have reported. Winds reaching hurricane intensity of up to 122km/h have caused heavy damage in northern Bulgaria, in the municipality of Vratsa in particular. Many trees were uprooted while the roofs of dozens of houses were damaged partially or severely. The Civil Protection Service received scores of distress calls over the past 24 hours, as people were reporting collapsed trees, shattered glass, damaged roofs, and fallen billboard signs. The windy conditions will continue until the early hours of November 11, when gradually the wind's intensity was expected to subside. Meanwhile, a forest fire raging in Stara Planina mountain range was made worse by the strong winds, causing significant damage to the flora and fauna. There were more than 450 people working to contain the fire in the area, the Interior Ministry said in a media statement. Firefighters, rescuers, police officers, forest and mountain rangers and volunteers were battling together to extinguish the flames in the municipalities of Etropole and Teteven, the report said. A helicopter from the Government’s 28th squadron was deployed for a second day running. Temperatures will remain unseasonably high on November 10, reaching up to 27C in places, and about 20C in Sofia. It will be partially cloudy over most of the country, while rain was expected in some southwestern areas. Warm and sunny weather with occasional cloud cover is the name of the game, at least until the end of the week. Over the weekend, average temperatures are expected to be around 20C, with predominantly sunny skies.

• Advertisement

he temperature in Moscow reached 11.9 degrees Celsius (53.4 degrees Fahrenheit) on Tuesday setting the first record in the fall of 2010. "The record of 1952 when the temperature reached 11.7 degrees Celsius was beaten at 7.00 p.m. Moscow time," the center's spokesman said. Moscow set 22 temperature records this summer and July 22 saw an absolute record of 38.2 C (100.7 F). A scorching heat wave gripped the European part of Russia in mid-June, sparking wildfires and causing the worst drought in decades.

you do wonder what the plantet is up to at the moment ;)

Now isnt it supposed to get really cold there later this month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Its 7 degrees outside right now. We had a fire drill earlier, and standing for 20 mins outside started to get chilly alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

This is winter. Nov 4th.

I was joking about your vagueness. You just said a new temperature high was recorded. No mention of for this time of year.

Unusually high temperatures for mid-November were also reported from other large towns - Brno (16.5 degrees centigrade), south Moravia, and Ostrava-Mosnov (17.5 degrees centigrade), north Moravia. In Prague-Karlov meteorologists measured 19 degrees centigrade, which exceeded the previous record from 1928 (14.9 degrees centigrade) by over four degrees. At Prague's Klementinum, where temperature has been daily monitored since 1775, 17.8 degrees centigrade was measured this afternoon, compared to the previous record from 1866 (14.6 degrees centigrade). The average temperature at this time of the year is 3-8 degrees centigrade during the day. Today´s temperature of 19.3 degrees centigrade in Ceske Budejovice beat the record from 1926 (15.8 degrees centigrade). "Today has been an abnormally warm day practically all over the South Bohemian region," Gustav Sysel, from the Czech Hydrometeorological Institute, told CTK. On the other hand, the temperature records in Brno and Ostrava-Mosnov were today beaten only by tenths of a degree. Extremely high temperatures were registered also in other regions in the Czech Republic today.

there at it again

Advertisement