Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Tomas no where near Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

This has been discussed to death on other threads:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I dunno but it all seems to stem from this quote by a "Met Eireann spokesman"

"Although the hurricane will be significantly weaker by the time it hits us, we are predicting winds of up to 100kmh and very high waves....

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/dublin-braced-for-hurricane-14997026.html

Maybe he was quoted incorrectly or it wasn't even a real spokesman, I dunno. It just seems that some of the media still haven't corrected it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cedissapointed

Not sure about that hurricane hope i never see one in ireland lol..Although there will be speeds from up to 100 km in ireland and this will hit our shores on Sunday and Monday.

Hope nobody is driving across a bridge on that night very dangerous.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

Sent this to both of those webites:

Hello,
    Can you please rephrase your headline and story regarding the storm due to hit Ireland tomorrow? The headline currently says "Hurricane Tomas backlash to hit Ireland this weekend" and the contents of the story say that Tomas is to affect us tomorrow night. This is completely untrue and is pure sensationalism. Tomas is currently 160 kilometres north of Hatii and moving at about 15KMH. How on earth do you think it's going to get over to Ireland by tomorrow evening. The storm we will be experiencing is just a typical winter storm and nothing more. And most importantly has NOTHING to do with hurricane Tomas. Actually, I should correct myself....Tomas is not even a hurricane anymore, it has been downgraded to a tropical storm. The track of the low and very low pressure expected over Ireland together with a spring tide make it notable but please remove all mentions of the storm being in any way connected to a hurricane currently meandering around the Caribbean.

Kindest Regards

XXXXXX XXXXXXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, we emailed friends in Texas and told them to stop sending us the leftovers from their hurricanes..... Glad they took heed.

Seriously, we often get a kind of backlash after hurricanes etc. Not the full blast

Those poor people in Haiti; conditions there continue to worsen with cholera and other diseases and now more flooding. How anyone can welcome this kind of weather when it causes so much pain defeats me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Cos what passes for the media in this country involves misinformation, spin and agenda setting. Indeed I blame them as much as the banks, politicians etc. for the state of the country. Tony O' Reilly for example is an Oirish, poor mans(though he seems to think he's a Sir these days:rolleyes:) Rupert Murdoch:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

:mad: :mad: :mad:

F%&§@+~# numbskulls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Evelyn Cusack said on the radio yesterday that this weekend was NOT Tomas but we should feel some effects of tomas on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

The majority of mainstream media are clueless when it comes to science.

Was watching a childrens programme yesterday with my son. They dropped a feather and bowling ball from a building and said that the bowling ball falls faster becuase it is 'much heavier'.

Did they not hear that Galileo disprooved this hundreds of years ago??!!
    http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo_15_feather_drop.html

Sorry - OT, but makes me mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There was a section in the sports part of the independant today discussing the match against south afriica which is on right now, and talking about the impact that hurricane tomas will have on it. How idiotic can they be to think this??? And they havent even got their dates right for the storm that is coming!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

Steven Alken commentating on the Blackpool-Everton game just now said "with a hurricane on the way......" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    Steven Alken commentating on the Blackpool-Everton game just now said "with a hurricane on the way......" :rolleyes:

Well, it is 'Hurricane Weekend' after all. ;)

if i hear hurricane weekend 1 more time . . . :mad: :mad: :mad:

if i hear hurricane weekend 1 more time . . . :mad: :mad: :mad:

Marty Whelan just referenced it on Winning Streak...

*double facepalm*

*double facepalm*

Dont worry there were probably about 15 people watching . . .x factor is on!!

If anyone is interested, the actual name of this storm will probably be either Becky or Carmen : http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/adopt-a-vortex/tief/#aktuell/

arctictree wrote: »

Was watching a childrens programme yesterday with my son. They dropped a feather and bowling ball from a building and said that the bowling ball falls faster becuase it is 'much heavier'.

Did they not hear that Galileo disprooved this hundreds of years ago??!!
    http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo_15_feather_drop.html

Sorry - OT, but makes me mad!

Irish journalism is in general populated by sleazy hacks, most of whom are profoundly ignorant, even in the areas they claim to specialize in. Certain crime journalists spring to mind in particular:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Irish journalism is in general populated by sleazy hacks, most of whom are profoundly ignorant, even in the areas they claim to specialize in. Certain crime journalists spring to mind in particular:rolleyes:

Off topic, but I totally agree with ya Birdnuts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

*double facepalm*

Also mentioned on The Saturday Night Show on rte1 and even the boxing on rte2 lol:P
    When this storm passes every1 will wonder what all the fuss was about :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Also mentioned on The Saturday Night Show on rte1 and even the boxing on rte2 lol:P
    When this storm passes every1 will wonder what all the fuss was about :rolleyes:

Yes, and who will get the blame? Met Eireann. And the media will get off scott free..... :rolleyes:

True and next met eireann will be warning us to prepare for the storm of the century and no one will listen:eek:

Su Campu wrote: »
    Yes, and who will get the blame? Met Eireann. And the media will get off scott free..... :rolleyes:

Ah, I can see the tabloid articles already.....Weather boffins at Met Eireann were left with egg on their face this morning after Hurricane Tomas failed to wreck havoc on the capital etc....

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

highdef wrote: »
    the two girls look devastated. one of them is saying 'sandbags for everyone?...but i thought they said it would be cheese!'

We might need the cheese to survive if this imaginary Hurricane flattens the country:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

arctictree wrote: »

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

What this media event means is there are journalists just waiting for the Met Éireann report and publishing it and legging it off home for the weekend. Due to national cutbacks no one works weekends or after hours anymore.

Weekend papers are made of Friday and Saturday’s staff come in only if there is a major story they can cover before publishing that days paper.

Internet media are even more offensive, Internet is supposed to be 'instant' but in most cases it's whoever is on duty actually uploads and no one is there to make any corrections.

In this incident we have three weather events and to be fair, Met Éireann made the initial mistake, but they did correct it in a timely manner, unfortunately there were no journalist left to see the correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just stumbled on this thread-The dj on Today FM this morning still talking about Tomas smashing into Ireland tonight,aaargh.Do they carry out any research?

zerks wrote: »
    Just stumbled on this thread-The dj on Today FM this morning still talking about Tomas smashing into Ireland tonight,aaargh.Do they carry out any research?

I'm surprised, what with intellectual giants like Ray d'Arcy etc.:rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

zerks wrote: »

Listening to the news on Nova radio on Saturday, they had a news story about the damage hurricane Tomas had just caused Haiti, and then the very next story was about Tomas hitting Ireland the next day. Are they really that thick?

Advertisement