Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Tomas no where near Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Bill G wrote: »
    Listening to the news on Nova radio on Saturday, they had a news story about the damage hurricane Tomas had just caused Haiti, and then the very next story was about Tomas hitting Ireland the next day. Are they really that thick?

Sure that's a mere 3,900 miles away, they probably think it passes through a wormhole or a stargate to impact us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭vixdname

arctictree wrote: »
    The majority of mainstream media are clueless when it comes to science.

Was watching a childrens programme yesterday with my son. They dropped a feather and bowling ball from a building and said that the bowling ball falls faster becuase it is 'much heavier'.

Did they not hear that Galileo disprooved this hundreds of years ago??!!
    http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo_15_feather_drop.html

Sorry - OT, but makes me mad!

Sorry dude, but a feather WONT fall as fast as a bowling ball simply because of the actual physical properties of a feather which by it very makeup will let air pass over it more slowly then a smooth but dense bowling ball.
    If you were to say that a small marble would drop at the same speed as a bowling ball if both were dropped from the top of a large height then THAT would be correct but NOT a feather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

vixdname wrote: »
    Sorry dude, but a feather WONT fall as fast as a bowling ball simply because of the actual physical properties of a feather which by it very makeup will let air pass over it more slowly then a smooth but dense bowling ball.
    If you were to say that a small marble would drop at the same speed as a bowling ball if both were dropped from the top of a large height then THAT would be correct but NOT a feather

But they said it will fall faster because it is heavier, not because of different properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RDan

Bill G wrote: »
    Why does the media keep insisting that the bad weather this weekend is
    the remains of Hurricane Tomas?

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/ireland-braces-itself-ahead-of-hurricane-tomas-006817-1

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hurricane-tomas-backlash-to-hit-ireland-this-weekend-480508.html

and about a hundred others. Hurricane Tomas is no where near Ireland, and is currently 100 miles north of Hatii and moving at 15 mph. Why do the idiots in the Irish media think something moving in the Caribbean at 15 mph will reach Ireland in a day?

Have a look at this website.. Shows the size of this storm. Its a huge band that swings around.. It certainly looks like Tomas.
    http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing/49373/news.htm

RDan wrote: »
    Have a look at this website.. Shows the size of this storm. Its a huge band that swings around.. It certainly looks like Tomas.
    http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing/49373/news.htm

You do know Tomas is over 3,000 miles away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

On leaving the house earlier I was told
    I'd advise you to wear a good jacket there will be a hurricane tonight!

Irish people believe anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

thomasj wrote: »

Irish people believe anything!

Would explain the current state of the country all right:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RDan

gbee wrote: »
    You do know Tomas is over 3,000 miles away!

Have a look at that website sat images of it..This storm is because of Thomas..It's causing ocean swells in the atlantic.. It's a pretty big cyclone.. Yes I know the Hurricane is 3000miles away. Doesn't mean we can't feel the effects of it.

RDan wrote: »
    Have a look at that website sat images of it..This storm is because of Thomas..It's causing ocean swells in the atlantic.. It's a pretty big cyclone.. Yes I know the Hurricane is 3000miles away. Doesn't mean we can't feel the effects of it.

Now, I have to take you to task here, this post is simply wrong.

We are not getting ANY effect from Tomas THIS weekend, Tomas is not contributing ANYTHING to our immediate weather. In approx a week the remnants of Tomas, depending on where it goes and its speed across the Atlantic, typically only 25PMH, will bring a little rain and a little wind.

There is the remnants for Hurricane Shary arriving around Thursday, this has followed a mid Atlantic path but is very slow moving but will probably bring a bigger event than the Trough 'Becky' will to our shores.

After Shary hits, Tomas [if anything will be left of it] will follow in due course. Right now for for the next week Tomas had absolutely NOTHING to do with our weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 chellypoo74

He's here!!!!

• Advertisement

He's here!!!!

For the last time, THIS IS NOT HURRICANE TOMAS OR ANY OTHER HURRICANE IT IS A MODERATE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WHICH IS CALLED BECKY.

Could this be stickied???:P

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

ha ha ha

For the last time, THIS IS NOT HURRICANE TOMAS OR ANY OTHER HURRICANE IT IS A MODERATE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WHICH IS CALLED BECKY.

Could this be stickied???:P

Um, Giddy down dude. Temper, temper...maybe this is hurricane thetonynator????

Um, Giddy down dude. Temper, temper...maybe this is hurricane thetonynator????

This has been a source of much annoyance for everyone on this forum the last few days . . .

This has been a source of much annoyance for everyone on this forum the last few days . . .

I take it you have a doctorate in meteorology then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I take it you have a doctorate in meteorology then?

No, but the idiots in the media who called it a hurricane do of course.

It's not a hurricane - has not been and will never be. Tomas has nothing whatsoever to do with this system. If you don't want to believe that then that's your perogative, but stop having jabs at people who are clever enough to see it for what it is.

You're not a journalist by any chance are you??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

HURRICANE TOMAS
    OMG OMG OMG!!!

=-=

That's all you really need to say. The rest of the sentence gets forgotten. Sure, what would you prefer: to listen to the rumours about IMF, or about a hurricane? And thus we talk about the hurricane.

On a side note, CC's throughout the country are actually trying to stop massive flooding, so it's not all bad.

Su Campu wrote: »
    No, but the idiots in the media who called it a hurricane do of course.

It's not a hurricane - has not been and will never be. Tomas has nothing whatsoever to do with this system. If you don't want to believe that then that's your perogative, but stop having jabs at people who are clever enough to see it for what it is.

You're not a journalist by any chance are you??!!

I'm not a journalist, thank god - otherwise I would have considered your comment a jab!
    *phew*
    Bullet dodged!

Getting quite stormy out there, no?

Jaysus, Tomas is kicking up fiercely outside.....eeeeekkkkk!!!!!

:D

Jaysus, Tomas is kicking up fiercely outside.....eeeeekkkkk!!!!! :D

Let your brother back in why don't you? :)

• Advertisement

Jaysus, Tomas is kicking up fiercely outside.....eeeeekkkkk!!!!!

:D

Awful night to leave the dog out . . .

Let your brother back in why don't you? :)

Sorry, I don't speak Corkonian...proper english please. :D:D:D :pac:

Awful night to leave the dog out . . .

You have a dog called Tomas? :rolleyes:

You have a dog called Tomas? :rolleyes:

Me? No but I have a storm called Becky knocking at my door. :) Literally lifting the letterbox flap ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me? No but I have a storm called Becky knocking at my door. :) Literally lifting the letterbox flap ..... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a storm called Becky sitting beside me...she thinks you're all very strange people and need to get a life!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I have a storm called Becky sitting beside me...she thinks you're all very strange people and need to get a life!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I think you're doing the exact same thing as the rest of us, i.e. commenting on the weather on a weather forum, not sure why that means we have to get a life . . .-we includes you- . . .but maybe you need to get a life if you believe the rubbish the media has been spewing out about hurricane tomas . . .

I think you're doing the exact same thing as the rest of us, i.e. commenting on the weather on a weather forum, not sure why that means we have to get a life . . .-we includes you- . . .but maybe you need to get a life if you believe the rubbish the media has been spewing out about hurricane tomas . . .

Why must you all take it so seriously???? Let's just settle on the fact that it's mighty windy outside...call it what you like. I'm going to call it Tomas. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p :cool:

Why must you all take it so seriously???? Let's just settle on the fact that it's mighty windy outside...call it what you like. I'm going to call it Tomas. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p :cool:

Maybe i'm not the one round here that needs to get a life . . .

Maybe i'm not the one round here that needs to get a life . . .

Okay, well you just stay here on a weather forum waiting to argue about the weather...remember to take it VERY seriously!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tornando9

You'll find hurricane Tomas here > http://www.ibiseye.com/

Now put away your handbags

Advertisement