Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Tomas no where near Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'm going to call it Tomas

But this is precisely where you are wrong, the EU weather agency in Germany has named this weather trough Becky. They and they alone have the naming convention to administer to significant systems, in this season all the names are female.

Tomas may have a slight effect sometime after Shary impacts next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 chellypoo74

gbee wrote: »
    But this is precisely where you are wrong, the EU weather agency in Germany has named this weather trough Becky. They and they alone have the naming convention to administer to significant systems, in this season all the names are female.

Tomas may have a slight effect sometime after Shary impacts next Thursday.

Meh, I'm still going to call it Tomas. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Ooohhh! That is a good image, Tornado. Thanks. I'm originally from Florida and have a mother and brothers in coastal locations. I love hurricanes - don't love the damage (hating them won't make them occur less or do less damage).

I've been going to the National Hurricane Center page for updates, info etc.
    Here's their current prediction/path for Tomás.
    Not quite as pretty as yours, but clearly shows no connection between Tomás and Ireland.

I was like most other coastal people: once a storm turns out into the northern Atlantic, it's no problem. Not on any US storm maps etc. Never gave them another thought... til I moved here! Eyes opened! LOL.

Not being a meteorologist, I'm not sure if y'all are just messing about a storm named Becky or what. The "B" storm (NOAA/NHS) this year was Bonnie. What did I miss??
    (Edit: "Becky" explained whilst I was composing.)

But this wind and low pressure definitely is not even a shred of anything connected to Señor Tomás. Maybe Shary?? (track) The pressure here at my house (985mb) apparently is lower than the central pressure of Sr Tomás (997mb 10pm).

Ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Meh, I'm still going to call it Tomas. :D;)

Gee, you rebel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MusicLover8498

Hurricaine Tomas what a load of bull :p has there been any flooding.......NO what a surprise :cool: the only thing this tells us is that irish meteorologists don't have a clue bout whats goin on

• Advertisement

Hurricaine Tomas what a load of bull :p has there been any flooding.......NO what a surprise :cool: the only thing this tells us is that irish meteorologists don't have a clue bout whats goin on

Let this be a lesson to all Irish Meteologists! I am sure they are all humbled by your superior observations. :)

What it shows is the stupidity of people who accept blindly the media reports.

If you, yourself had even followed THIS thread you'd have found out that RTE made a mistake, mixing up three storm features and naming Hurricane Tomas as the one to strike last weekend, it is not of course it will strike soon enough but RTE were informed of their mistake and they changed their reports.

However, the media at large disingenuously continued to report the mistake, despite they also having been told of the error.

As for people not having a clue, you sir could check out the 200,000 posts on this subject before mouthing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

What are the chances?

Anyway, if you want to see where Tomas was actually during the weekend, this satellite animation shows him rapidly dying out well south of Bermuda.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/satellite/animateweb_e.html?imagetype=satellite&imagename=goes_eusa_1070_m_..................jpg&nbimages=1&clf=1

Note to anyone looking in after Wed 10th, this will show some totally different weather pattern unfolding. If you animate the longest loop possible, and do so today (Tuesday) you should see Tomas near the bottom centre of the image moving northeast. The swirl of cloud off Nova Scotia, meanwhile, is the genesis of the storm expected in Ireland on Thursday.

I see that you will have to animate this loop yourself (I saved it as a loop), just select the time scale you want at the bottom and then go to top of image and press play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

What are the chances?

Anyway, if you want to see where Tomas was actually during the weekend, this satellite animation shows him rapidly dying out well south of Bermuda.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/satellite/animateweb_e.html?imagetype=satellite&imagename=goes_eusa_1070_m_..................jpg&nbimages=1&clf=1

Note to anyone looking in after Wed 10th, this will show some totally different weather pattern unfolding. If you animate the longest loop possible, and do so today (Tuesday) you should see Tomas near the bottom centre of the image moving northeast. The swirl of cloud off Nova Scotia, meanwhile, is the genesis of the storm expected in Ireland on Thursday.

I see that you will have to animate this loop yourself (I saved it as a loop), just select the time scale you want at the bottom and then go to top of image and press play.
    at what stage if any will this "expected storm" get a name MT? Also what is the next name

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I don't follow that naming procedure very closely, Delw, but I would guess some time late today or so. This is the German weather office doing the naming, right?

By the way, the RGEM which comes out early and goes only 48h has this storm at 956 mbs near 59N 21W at 00z Thursday now. Looks like a slight upgrade but may be just the finer grid of the RGEM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I do think it's always better to err on the side of caution however when preparing for weather "events" and I applaud any preparations that were made to prevent flooding, sandbags etc. It's surely better to make preparations and not need them than do nothing on the offchance it won't be as bad as we think. I just hope the media hype hasn't had a "cry wolf" effect on the people that make the important decisions when it comes to weather defenses. Tomas by any other name is still a hurricane/strong wind/fart in a jar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Looks like the Independent is still at it.
    Quote:
    "There was speculation that the farmer may have been cutting the tree down due to fears of high winds that were forecast for yesterday and Sunday as a result of the aftermath of Hurricane Tomas in the Caribbean."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's not actually the German Met Office that names the Highs and Lows, it's members of the public that buy the names from students at the Met FU Berlin university. They came up with the idea to fund the 24/7 operation of the weather station there. 199 for a low, 299 for a high. Any one of us could put our name to one!

Actually, why don't we do that? Have a vote to choose a name and submit it to them! Any takers? Or we could just use Seamus in honour of the hurricane that lives in the minds of some....

[url]Http://www.wetterpate.de[/url]

And regarding the musiclover - don't feed the troll....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

They were talking on beat fm there about how tomas was a no show and the met got it wrong so i couldn't let it go so i txt in that we had it all in black and white here on boards.ie weather forum. They read it out and said well now we know where to go for the proper weather

redsunset wrote: »
    They were talking on beat fm there about how tomas was a no show and the met got it wrong so i couldn't let it go so i txt in that we had it all in black and white here on boards.ie weather forum. They read it out and said well now we know where to go for the proper weather

Fair play Redsunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I sent an email to the Irish Times about reporting that it was Tomas that hit Ireland, If I get a reply I will post it, we should all email the papers or radio stations and tell them to get all the correct info from this website, far better info on here :D:D

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I sent an email to the Irish Times about reporting that it was Tomas that hit Ireland, If I get a reply I will post it, we should all email the papers or radio stations and tell them to get all the correct info from this website, far better info on here :D:D

Did it a couple of days ago, I presume a few more did too, they did change but in doing so they dropped the parts where Tomas had caused two deaths and flooding in Haiti. In other words, they dropped the Hurricane and the correct references to that hurricane in Haiti.

[They had said prior to this that it was Tomas in Haiti etc and is now about to batter us. ~~~~]

I've written a strongly worded message to our colleagues in the News and Media forum!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68931985#post68931985

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Nice one Su..

Tony fenton had the surfer dude on , Still saying Tomas.!!!! That was the surfer..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

In the Independent today there was the tragic story of a farmer who got killed while knocking down a tree, he was cutting down the tree because it was a danger.
    He wanted it cut as the paper put it before Tomas hit us...

Bad journalism and my sympathies to the man's family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Theres a facebook group now called ''I survived Hurricane Thomas''

:mad:

Theres a facebook group now called ''I survived Hurricane Thomas''

:mad:

I bet it is nothing to do with the poor people of Haiti who seem to attract one disaster after another.

Min wrote: »
    I bet it is nothing to do with the poor people of Haiti who seem to attract one disaster after another.

I doubt they'd spell it thomas, no its probably an irish group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

What will the media headlines be is the tailend of the real hurricane tomas hits us in a week?

irish1967 wrote: »
    What will the media headlines be is the tailend of the real hurricane tomas hits us in a week?

Tomas on a rebound from Becky.

The fantasy is reluctant to die, one can unfailingly rely on the Independent to plumb the depths of horse manure:

http://www.independent.ie/weather/you-look-swell-now-wave-for-the-camera-2413756.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Min wrote: »
    Tomas on a rebound from Becky.

or Carmen;)

no mention of this monster in the media . . .watching the the 9 news, no mention at all yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement