Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of buying in sterling?

Options
  • 06-11-2010 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy something from Amazon in the UK and was just wondering what the cost will be by for using an Irish debit card? I'll be getting it posted to a UK a ddress , and could get my sister in the UK to put it on her card if needs be. That'd be a bit of extra hassle I'd rather avoid if possible, unless I'll be hit with a big enough conversion charge by paying through a Euro card?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

the credit card company will charge a currency conversion fee on top of the rate of exchange. In the scale of things, theres nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

get your sister to buy it and give her the cash.
    check out www.xe.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Jicked

ravima wrote: »
    the credit card company will charge a currency conversion fee on top of the rate of exchange. In the scale of things, theres nothing you can do about it.

This is what I was afraid of, if I'm only spending €100 or so, will the conversion charge be much? If it's only a couple of euro I'll just pay it to speed things up. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

PTSB charge 1.75% of the euro value of the transaction (min €0.46 max €11.43).

Ulster Bank charge 2% (Min .50 max €12)

So on 100 Euro equivalent (ABout 85 Pounds) - the charge will be no more than €2
    Hardly worth worrying about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Trampas

how will your sister get it to you?

if posting it will cost probably more in the end as you get free postage with amazon

• Advertisement
Advertisement