Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literature Review

Options
  • 06-11-2010 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey,
    For a 2000 word literature review (for a 15,000 word thesis in a masters in accounting programme) roughly how many articles/readings would you need to do and cite?
    No guidance has really been given, I was thinking around 20?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mary.

I referenced around 40 articles and books for a 7000 word lit review, so I think 20 would be enough for yours. Hardest thing will probably be trying to fit it all in to 2000 words!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I think we were told "we'd know when we had enough" with regard to amount of references last week bingobarry? To be honest it's the least of my worries at this stage when the supervisor hasn't even found time to meet with me yet!

Having said that, I did a 5000 word dissertation last year entirely by lit review with only 25ish references.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

It is impossible to tell as doing a literature review is very much an emergent process. You might think you are finished then WHAM you realise you missed a whole side of the topic etc

Best bet is to just dive in and don't worry about the number of references for now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

My literature review was about 2,000 words for a 25,000 word dissertation. I had 23 references but I don't think there is any set number. I started off my review by being broad and I got more and more focused with each citing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bingobarry

thanks all for the info! much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

hi barry,

im pretty sure that ive the same lecturer as you and ran into the same problems as you did. if im right, i checked the freeforum last night and had a good scower through all of the threads, and it pretty much answered all my questions, so it might be worth a look.

Advertisement