Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Vacation

Options
  • 06-11-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Can a person be forced to take vacation? The company I work for wont allow staff to work if one person is working that day, more or less because then they would have to pay for two people to be on double pay/triple pay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yes they can, if there is a probelm getting staff to agree they would usually be asked verbally and then given a written letter scheduling them for holidays... It is a legal responsibility for managment to ensure all employees take their holidays, it is of course their responsibility to ensure you have the oppertunity to take your holidays...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mc Love wrote: »
    Can a person be forced to take vacation? The company I work for wont allow staff to work if one person is working that day, more or less because then they would have to pay for two people to be on double pay/triple pay.

Yep, for example, a lot of offices close over Christmas, and this comes out of the employees' annual leave. I think my sister has to take about 7 of her 20 days when her office closes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yep, particularly common after maternity leave, my friend was forced to take 3 weeks holidays in october and november, december isn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Darn strange - thanks for the replies folks

Advertisement