Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing internet provider on wireless router?

Options
  • 06-11-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Am not the most tech savvy but maybe you guys can help.

I recently changed from Smart to UPC and kept my old wireless router (thomson) which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. When I connect to the wireless and then to my computer, its fine (so the router is working) but by itself it works about 50% of the time. My ipod is picking it up the signal but wont connect.
    I've tried resetting it etc. but it keeps bringing me to a page that tells me my smart connection is down. My question is, how do I wipe any connection to smart from the router, is this even possible?

If not, what is the best router to get, we used to have a linkys and I found it good (until I stood on it!) I'm not a massive internet user i.e. dont download or play games online. Just want something very reliable.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

reset router, and setup a new connection where it will detect your new ISP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I haven't used that router myself so I'm not 100% sure that smart haven't locked it down in such a way that it is only possible to use it with their hardware. If they haven't then here is what you have to do.

Firstly what is happening is you have two DHCP servers, one on each modem/router and both handing out conflicting leases. DHCP is what tells your computer how to actually get to the internet. Sometimes you get one from the UPC router and everything works and other times you get one from the smart router and your device has no idea where to actually go.

So obviously you need to disable the DHCP server on the smart router and everything should just work.

After you have done that your computer will probably have an IP address in a different subnet that the smart router and you will no longer be able to get to the settings page to adjust the settings in the future without setting a static address on your computer. To fix this its best to change the IP address of the smart router so its in the same subnet as the UPC one but not to an address that the UPC router can hand out. For example if the UPC config page is at 192.168.1.1 then change it to something like 192.168.1.x where x is a value between 2 and 254. 2 is usually a safe bet.

The only thing to watch out for is if the routers settings ever get corrupted it will default back and you will have to set it up again. Not a problem on most hardware but worth keeping in mind.

Advertisement