Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What town has the highest percentage of protestants in the republic?

• 06-11-2010 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm from raphoe in the laggan valley and i know there is is a significant protestant population, my father being one of them but which town has the highest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

since when was carrickfergus in the republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Who cares? What county has he highest number of ginger haired people?

Why such a question?

Are these counties a problem for the nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

sligopark wrote: »

Why such a question?

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Rds1989 wrote: »
    I'm from raphoe in the laggan valley and i know there is is a significant protestant population, my father being one of them but which town has the highest?

Not sure but you could always ask your dad to say to the grand master i think you call him at the next march in rossnowlagh may be he could tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Why such a question?

Now, if google had that attitude there'd be no google:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

.17hmr wrote: »
    Not sure but you could always ask your dad to say to the grand master i think you call him at the next march in rossnowlagh may be he could tell you.
    He asked about Protestant population, not Orange Order population.

Know the difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

byte wrote: »
    He asked about Protestant population, not Orange Order population.
    Know the difference!

That's true.
    I went to school with a few of them and they are as Irish as anyone born here. The idea of a 'Protestant town' would be as nasty to me a 'Catholic town' - so I would rather not know.
    Politics and Religion should be private issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Why such a question?

Why are you getting so defensive about it? And you're not the only one either. You've automatically assumed that there must be a sectarian motive for asking the question, which I see as more of a reflection on your views on the subject than Rds1989's. As far as I can tell it was asked from a sociological point of view rather than political, and I think it was an interesting question that I would like to hear the answer to, without it descending into a discussion on whether Catholics and Protestants are better or worse than each other. People who get offended by talk of different religions are just as bad as those making the 'Orangeman' jokes in this thread; .17hmr how worked up would you get if someone brought up Taigs or Paddys in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Rds1989 wrote: »

I would say as a county, your looking at Donegal as having the largest Protestant population in the Republic and by looking at this map that the Lagan has the highest in Donegal, with Raphoe or Convoy possibly the most dense town. Id go for Raphoe as it has two pipe bands (just a light hearted joke folks, relax!)

This page gives an idea of the most heavily populated counties outside of Donegal, with Dublin, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim and Cork mentioned.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

may I suggest

Portnoo in the first week of August?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Just a bit of nitpicking here, my dad always said he was from the Finn Valley - he was from just outside Raphoe, but just where does the Finn end and the Lagan begin:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Oh and yes he was a Prod :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Firblog

Remembered reading somewhere that Bandon in Co Cork was setup during the plantation with a by law stating that No roman catholic would be permitted live in the town... Dunno when that was repealed, but would assume that it may still have a high proportion of protestant inhabitants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,199 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right then. Im not sure of the purpose of this thread but Im a little disappointed at a couple of the comments posted. We have a nice quiet forum here and Id like to keep it that way.

Most people in Donegal and indeed other areas will know that the 2 hottest topics are always religion and politics so I can only see bad things happening here.

irlpic's post and link above have answered the OP's query and consequently I see no reason for any further debate. Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement