Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chinese are coming..to be our 'friend'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

kuntboy wrote: »
    "We must control the earth". Mao Tse Tung
    "Intimidate with force, seduce with money". President Jiang Zemin, 1998
    "We must bide our time and hide our capabilities". Deng Xiaoping, 1994
    "War with the United States is inevitable". General Chi Haotian, Minister of Defence, 1994

They also are building a secret nuclear arsenal and a vast network of underground bases, for all those idiots who think a brutal dictatorship with global hegemony is a good thing.

Historically the Chinese Empire did not invade America, Russia, or Africa - which they could have done had they the will..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Millions of Africans have been murdered because of European colonialism, countless more have been enslaved and taken away from their homeland. How the fúck are the Chinese gonna be any worse? Are they just gonna nuke the whole continent? Come back to reality for just one second.

I'm in reality, where are you, the land of naivety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Jesus Wept. He was an Anglo-Irish Earl. The people who invaded Ireland also invaded other places, are we to destroy all buildings funded by the slave trade.

The FitzGeralds where here long before the Norman invasion, in fact the helped facilitate it. You can't blame the Brits for this one I'm afraid, this was good old fashioned Irish exploitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

SugarHigh wrote: »
    The other Chinese immigrants we already have who come for education spend thousands each year to attend a ****ty IT they are normally from relatively wealthy families and really don't cause any hassle because they all work part time to fund their education.

can i ask you there mate what exaclty makes it a shítty IT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Who the fúck said anything about the SWP? You can't give a reasonable answer to my comment so you just change the subject completely?
    Irony clearly wasn't in the indoctrination manual.
    You should probably head back to the politics forum now before you make an even bigger arse of yourself. Oh, and I'm flattered someone is actually stalking me on boards. :D
    Don't be, you make an impression, and you can take that any way you like.

Enough with the threadjack however.

The FitzGeralds where here long before the Norman invasion, in fact the helped facilitate it. You can't blame the Brits for this one I'm afraid, this was good old fashioned Irish exploitation.

Um, no. FitzGerald is a norman name. It comes from Fils De. Irish Gaelic names are O, or Mc.

You are funny in a not-knowing-very-much sort of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭BillShorey

pwd wrote: »
    But maybe the answer is simple enough: Say yes, but insist on preference for Irish employees there. Not supposed to give work visas out unless you can't fill a job with an EU person as it is, so they should just be strict with that rule.

This is absolutely critical. The notion of flying in Chinese staff to build and man the finished product, while we continue to have 450k+ unemployed here, should be laughed at. We have a pre-existing issue with visas and their absolute exploitation in this country as it is, throwing open the doors to the chinese to import who they want when they want into a town theyre building would make a complete joke of what is currently a very serious issue.
    Better the have Africa's resources controlled by corrupt African leaders than by corrupt European corporations.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous this statement is?Really? I mean, you've spoken enough nonsense in this thread alone to put me off reading posts of yours on any other topics, but this comment really takes the biscuit. Lawless, murderous savages ruling the land with no regard for human life are better than European corporations who don't have a track record for mass murder? Incredible, really.

As another poster said, you need a good dose of reality. Run along over to Africa and see how well you get on with said savages, let us know how wonderful life is compared to our life here governed by civilised people and working for European corporations.

Christ, such nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

BillShorey wrote: »
    Cultural segregation leads to slums, racial tension and dangerous group-based mentalities whereby those that are in are friendlies and those that are out are enemies. Cultural integration is absolutely key in immigration. The Chinese Yakooza (sp?) are in operation in Ireland, surely that is enough crime to warrant worry? You let Chinese slums develop (which will happen if a lot of low-skilled Chinese people come, which we currently dont really have) and we will have an even larger issue on our hands.

Did the Yakuza ever fight the IRA?
    I would pay to see that...
    :pac:

Um, no. FitzGerald is a norman name. It comes from Fils De. Irish Gaelic names are O, or Mc.

You are funny in a not-knowing-very-much sort of way.
    The Hiberno-Normans are those Norman lords who settled in Ireland who admitted little if any real fealty to the Anglo-Norman settlers in England, and who soon began to interact and intermarry with the Gaelic nobility of Ireland.....The Clan Burke, FitzGeralds, Butlers and de Berminghams are notable famililies among them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-Norman

As I said, the FitzGeralds were here before the Anglo-Norman invasion. I never said they were Gaelic or Celtic or Norse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

They're not nearly as attractive as some of those other asian nationalities, sounds like a nice town nevertheless!

Terrible grammaro op. I hope you don't have that backwards anti-grammar thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

rather uncle lee then uncle sam or uncle fritz tbh or uncle george!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

snyper wrote: »
    Athlone is 40 mins from dublin.

Middle of nowhere is subjective.

There is talk about an airport been built near athlone, probably for this purpose
    There's also the rail line leading to the docks in Dublin.
    Some people seem to forget how small this island is in the grand scheme of things. The roads are also far better than they were 10 years ago.
    I'm quite aware that they're not perfect, but the improvements continue.

flash1080 wrote: »
    Athlone is a dump.

Wooooooo!!!!!! 155 posts!
    So is yore ma!!!!!!!!!
    Woooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111 20,247 posts. My iPenis is bigger than yours (I know the term is usually e-penis, but I'm using a mac at the moment).

"War with the United States is inevitable". General Chi Haotian, Minister of Defence, 1994

They also are building a secret nuclear arsenal and a vast network of underground bases, for all those idiots who think a brutal dictatorship with global hegemony is a good thing.
    I was eating a powersauce bar the other day. Apparently Deng Xiaoping is dead. I know. It was news to me too.

Our closest neighbours once had lunatic leaders. They spent a few hundred years trying to wipe us out. They also had the largest empire the world has ever seen.
    Best of luck to the Chinese. They are indeed a nice bunch of lads, but we can live on potatoes and still get rid of brutal dictators.
    The Chinese need to worry more about the 1 Billion poor people in their own country. They are the ones who are most likely to bring down the communists there.

Leinster house was built as a town house for Ireland's wealthiest slave trader. The Republic may not have had anything to do with the slave trade, but our government doesn't seem to mind being associated with it.

Right, so let's knock down Leinster house and never speak of it again. Is that what you are proposing?

Should we also knock down Castletown house in Celbridge? After all, the White house in Washington D.C. was modelled after it, and they had a large amount of slave owners run the U.S. from there.

Actually, now that I think of it, perhaps Nero should just have kept playing his fiddle and made sure that the Colloseum, one of Italy's largest tourist attractions, was also completely destroyed.

Or you could just remember that the Irish of the time were not allowed to own anything, let alone slaves, and that the slave owners were of English descent.
    Oh no. I crossed the line and brought up the fact that for most of modern history, the English/British occupied this island and treated our ancestors as slaves.

We should all just kill ourselves so that all memory of anything to do with the Irish and slavery eventually becomes just a footnote in an unread history book.

Or I could just point out that Cromwell enslaved hundreds of thousands of Irish people, who were treated far worse than African slaves because the Africans cost more money due to the fact that they were less in number and more difficult to transport.

Also, the 2nd Duke of Leinster died for his part in the 1798 rebellion.

Now, where was I.
    Oh yeah. The Chinese.
    If they want to come here and invest, then that's great. However, they need to play by our rules. The vast majority of jobs must go to Irish and/or EU people. That includes the construction end of things.

Don't like it? Then fúck off back to wherever it is you come from.

As I said, the FitzGeralds were here before the Anglo-Norman invasion. I never said they were Gaelic or Celtic or Norse.

Normans are Normans. he was a Duke of the British Empire. If you want to feel guilt about that, fine. If stupid.

Normans are Normans. he was a Duke of the British Empire. If you want to feel guilt about that, fine. If stupid.

People seem to forget 1066.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

For the people who read that entire post, please summarise it in a few lines for us lazy people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

karlog wrote: »
    For the people who read that entire post, please summarise it in a few lines for us lazy people.
    The Chinese are going to kill us all with their underground nukes, but first they'll secretly invade Europe by establishing a base in Athlone.

Something about Irish slavery and slave owners. More stuff about the Chinese invading Africa by establishing a base in Ghana's version of Athlone.
    A bit of talk about political corruption.

Everyone is out to get us.
    That's about the jist of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Terry wrote: »
    The Chinese are going to kill us all with their underground nukes, but first they'll secretly invade Europe by establishing a base in Athlone.

Something about Irish slavery and slave owners. More stuff about the Chinese invading Africa by establishing a base in Ghana's version of Athlone.
    A bit of talk about political corruption.

Everyone is out to get us.
    That's about the jist of it.

Good news for that ****hole Athlone i guess.

Serious answer: I'll believe it when I see it.

AH Answer:
    Terry wrote: »

I did say, when I left the RDF, that if a plausible threat came from the Russians, Chinese, zombies or aliens or anyone else, I'd return to take my place.

Let them in, and when they get to their world domination plans * bites cigar* *hua-chick*, let's get us some commie bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭BillShorey

Serious answer: I'll believe it when I see it.

AH Answer:

I did say, when I left the RDF, that if a plausible threat came from the Russians, Chinese, zombies or aliens or anyone else, I'd return to take my place.

Let them in, and when they get to their world domination plans * bites cigar* *hua-chick*, let's get us some commie bastards.
    What's the contingency plan for when we run out of our few hours worth of ammo and the 1 military plane runs out of fuel?

Throw spuds?

Those rice eating pricks will never see it coming :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

rather uncle lee then uncle sam or uncle fritz tbh or uncle george!

Riots in Africa already this year between chinese and locals. They sign agreements with the head of state to build roads and palaces in exchange for mining rights to supply the chinese economy with raw materials. They already have 250,000 chinese working in Angola so friction between them and the locals.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Riots in Africa already this year between chinese and locals. They sign agreements with the head of state to build roads and palaces in exchange for mining rights to supply the chinese economy with raw materials. They already have 250,000 chinese working in Angola so friction between them and the locals.

There was an episode of Fíorscéal where a Chinese agricultural company set up in Mali and removed the locals from the best pieces of land and grew food for export to China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

The French and Belgians in west Africa, the British in the east, the Dutch in South Africa....I think the Chinese are the least of their worries to be fairly honest.

And what, precisely, do you know about recent Chinese deals in Africa?
    I think your ignorance of Africa's recent history is what's really shocking here.

What's "really shocking", actually, is firstly, the fact that your understanding of the English language is so patently inept that you could draw the conclusions which you've done; and, secondly, that you appear to believe that you've a more sophisticated understanding of Chinese involvement in Africa than the author who wrote a book on the topic (in the historical context of European colonialism). And this all before you've even examined Chinese involvement in Africa in a comparative context. Well done.

Next time, before you attempt to take the moral high ground, try and not judge other posters by your own evidently lower academic standards.

Millions of Africans have been murdered because of European colonialism, countless more have been enslaved and taken away from their homeland. How the fúck are the Chinese gonna be any worse? Are they just gonna nuke the whole continent? Come back to reality for just one second.

Bizarre, Nostradamus; utterly bizarre. Leaving aside your astonishingly reactionary (and profoundly immature) context for judging Chinese involvement in Africa in 2010, clearly you've absolutely no knowledge of what China has being doing in, among other places, Tibet. Where to start? Clifford Coonan's articles in The Irish Times over the past number of years would be a very good beginning for you.

The Fitzgeralds were at the forefront of the Norman invasion. Oh, and to be more accurate it was a Cambro-Norman invasion, not an Anglo-Norman invasion - but let's not allow history to complicate your rather anglocentric interpretation of the Norman invasion of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Technically, the British Empire didn't exist until after the crowns of England and Scotland were united in 1603 by James VI of Scotland, who was known as James I of England. The entire modern concept of Britishness is an invention from after this time. Ergo, to say the FitzGeralds were dukes of the "British Empire" in the later medieval period belies the otherwise historically intelligible arguments in your posts.
    People seem to forget 1066.

What 1066 has to do with Ireland and 1169 is not quite clear - although the importance of 1066 to English/British nationalist narratives is very clear.

Dionysus wrote: »
    And what, precisely, do you know about recent Chinese deals in Africa?

I know they're not nearly as bad as you say they are. The following is an article about the Benguela railway the Chinese are rebuilding.
    As soon as the train pulled into the first station - a dusty stop in the middle of dry scrubland - it was clear that the recent Chinese work on the railway is providing economic benefits too. Those huge bundles I had seen by the passengers were thrown open.

Inside were huge mounds of tomatoes, onions, greens, dried fish and great bloody lumps of meat. The hundreds of people waiting surged forward, yelling and rushing from one carriage to another to barter for the goods on offer. I realised that this train was, in effect, a rolling supermarket and the passengers were small businessmen and women.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/9023642.stm

Feel free to provide similar articles reporting the trouble China is causing in Africa. I can't really seem to find much on the subject.
    What's "really shocking", actually, is firstly, the fact that your understanding of the English language is so patently inept that you could draw the conclusions which you've done; and, secondly, that you appear to believe that you've a more sophisticated understanding of Chinese involvement in Africa than the author who wrote a book on the topic (in the historical context of European colonialism). And this all before you've even examined Chinese involvement in Africa in a comparative context. Well done.

So a book about the effects European colonialism in Congo and the tremendous amount of damage it caused is now about Chinese investment in Angola which is actually benefiting the local people? That's interesting.
    Next time, before you attempt to take the moral high ground, try and not judge other posters by your own evidently lower academic standards.

Academic standards are now directly related to morality? I dropped out of high school, I must be the son of the devil himself so.
    Bizarre, Nostradamus; utterly bizarre. Leaving aside your astonishingly reactionary (and profoundly immature) context for judging Chinese involvement in Africa in 2010, clearly you've absolutely no knowledge of what China has being doing in, among other places, Tibet. Where to start? Clifford Coonan's articles in The Irish Times over the past number of years would be a very good beginning for you.

I'm fully aware of the human rights abuses carried out on in Tibet and northwest China by the Chinese government. I'm also fully aware of the support provided by China and India for the military junta in Burma. What exactly does that have to do with Chinese investment in Africa? How many Chinese troops are currently in Angola? How many Angolan political activists have been executed due to Chinese influence?

I wonder where all your righteous indignation is when Royal Dutch Shell had Ken Saro-Wiwa and other political activists murdered by the Nigerian authorities? I assume you strongly support the Mayo activists who are trying to get that corporation out of Ireland, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭poochierockz

BillShorey wrote: »
    Those rice eating pricks will never see it coming :p

thats racist man... we eat noodles too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Historically the Chinese Empire did not invade America, Russia, or Africa - which they could have done had they the will..

Please state at what point in history they ever had the ability to invade any of those countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't trust the Chinese government, I don't trust the American government either but at least the American people can keep them in check. There's no such balance in China.

I don't think the Chinese government has any respect for the west as can be seen by the amount of counter fitting that comes out of there, they are ripping off their western customers and the western companies take it because their making out like bandits either way using cheap Chinese labour so it's not really any skin off their noses.

Do they do those counters in beige or mahogany?

I heard they put mind control chemicals in their instant noodles..watch out.

There was an episode of Fíorscéal where a Chinese agricultural company set up in Mali and removed the locals from the best pieces of land and grew food for export to China.

Right, and local corrupt politicians don't do the same thing in every African country, or foreign corporations from around the world?
    What about your own country, like paying for NAMA do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

I for one welcome our new chinese overlords, may they bring success with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't trust the Chinese government, I don't trust the American government either

We are lucky so in the way we can trust our one:)

Originally Posted by ScumLord viewpost.gif
    I don't trust the Chinese government, I don't trust the American government either but at least the American people can keep them in check. There's no such balance in China.

I don't think the Chinese government has any respect for the west as can be seen by the amount of counter fitting that comes out of there, they are ripping off their western customers and the western companies take it because their making out like bandits either way using cheap Chinese labour so it's not really any skin off their noses.

maninasia wrote: »
    Do do they do those counters in beige or mahogany?

I think i might get one installed myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

This plan sounds bizarre, to be honest, but if it is real, then I agree that there have to be some kind of regulations regarding who is actually doing the work, otherwise this is just going to be the Gama case on steroids.

Also, it would be interesting to see if the government could leverage some infrastructure upgrades out of this. The Chinese are heavily invested in high-speed rail technology, and if the government could work out some kind of agreement with them to set up a high-speed network that connected Dublin airport, Athlone, and Galway (and maybe a few other cities), there could be a lot of spillover benefits for the local population as well.

The Chinese are heavily invested in high-speed rail technology, and if the government could work out some kind of agreement with them to set up a high-speed network that connected Dublin airport, Athlone, and Galway (and maybe a few other cities), there could be a lot of spillover benefits for the local population as well.

Yea i was on their maglev a few times, 19 miles in 7 minutes from one end at airport to other end in city. 270mph

You have to understand that this type of plan is actually nothing special for Chinese, they regularly create much larger cities from nothing at all. Athlone is not out of the way for Chinese, they would consider it well within business range, 40 mins from a European airport. I can see the business case for them doing this as many customers would prefer to see the stock taking a 2-3 hour plane trip in much more relaxing conditions than days running around dusty China.
    There are probably other locations they could do this like Belgium/France/Germany but hard for them to get planning permission I'd say.
    I don't think it would create a huge amount of employment but it would be very good for establishing long lasting business links with some of these future multinationals, some of them would probably put down roots in Ireland as European HQs for service and also to wash their European taxes through as per the Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

Brian Cowen’s comments failed to shed much light, though he confirmed he had met some of those involved. “......find this hard to believe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I'd like to refresh topic as they have lodged a planning application for this "Chinese hub":

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/developers-seek-planning-for-euro19bn-chinese-hub-2653758.html

As it's to early to find a drawings on council web site, I'd like to ask if anyone know who is designer/architect for this Chinese camp?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/2010/1106/1224282775497_1.jpg

For memory sake I'd like to recall some other links from this discussion:

http://dt106ers.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Screen-shot-2010-11-06-at-23.54.49.png

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/13/world/europe/13prato.html

Translation:

Developers try again to get planning so they can offload all that overpriced land off to any suckers that are still in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Great news!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Fuk me, looks like the land of the munchkins in Wizard of OZ!
    which is apt really seein as Athlone churns out alot of stunted
    dwarves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

http://www.chinasmack.com/2011/pictures/blue-glowing-pork-meat-found-in-shanghai.html
    Shanghai city resident purchased “blue glow pork”, both surprised and afraid
    Miss Chen the purchased a kilogram of pork from a wet market on Yang Gao North Road the day before yesterday. That night her family used a portion of that pork to make dumplings together. Afterward, she placed the leftover pork on a small table in the kitchen. At 11pm, Miss Chen got out of bed to use the toilet, and suddenly noticed a faint blue glow coming from the kitchen, and that the bright blue glow was coming from the pork itself!

Perfect for that midnight snack during a power cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

WESTMEATH COUNTY COUNCIL
    P L A N N I N G A P P L I C A T I O N S
    PLANNING APPLICATIONS RECEIVED FROM 16/05/11 TO 20/05/11 (second application 20/05/2011):

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/Planning%20Applications%20Received%20-%20Week%2020.pdf

Athlone Business Park Ltd is applying for permission for commercial development of c.102,348m2 gross
    floor area on site of c.31.6 ha(c.78 acres) located in the townlands of Creggan Upper, Bunnahinly and
    Kilmacuagh (Castlemaine), east of Athlone, Co Westmeath principally accessed from the N62 (Former
    N6) with secondary access via Athlone Business Park.The development will consist of Phase 1 of an
    international trading hub to include;-1)4 storey Reception building c 20.25m in height, c.4,453m²
    over basement etc.2)A multipurpose hall/exhibition venue known as the China Hall, c.12,825m² with
    curved roof ranging in height up to 25m over basement3)2 no. curved roof mega Exhibition Halls
    consisting of:- Hall 1 of c. 30, 373m² and Hall 2 of c. 30,406 m², both 2 storeys over partial basement
    raging in height from 11.5m to 21.4m providing two levels of flexible layout trading space.4)A translucent
    covered external promenade with travelators, c.14m in height to link both Mega Halls and the Reception
    building.5)9 no Independent Exhibition Halls (total c. 22,168m² single storey (11.5m in height) with
    internal mezzanines.6)Main underground car park and transport hub located below the Independent Halls
    and Reception Hall providing 1370 car parking spaces, bus drop-off terminus, 18 bus bays, 137
    motorcycle spaces and 300 bicycle spaces.7)Wind turbine with an overall height of 70m from ground
    consisting of 44m hub height and blades 52m in diameter.8)Energy and Waste Management Centre
    with a single storey Energy Centre Building (4.1m in height) accommodating maintenance workshop and
    office, heat generation mechanical plant, etc.9)2 no LED displays on the external façade of the Reception
    Building and one on each of the Mega Hall Exhibition Square elevations.10)Road Improvement works and
    creation of a roundabout entrance on the N62 (former N6) road frontage; construction of a 475m section of
    the Loughandonning Link Road within the site and a link road from Athlone Business Park11)A series of
    external spaces to include the Entrance Forecourt, Exhibition Square, Independent Hall Square, a
    Pedestrian Promenade etc12)The demolition of 3 dwellings and a number of farm, storage, and utility
    structures and buildings including the removal of oil tanks, septic tanks and slurry pit. This application is
    accompanied by an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).This description is abbreviated. For full details,
    please refer to the planning application documentation.

Planning Ref No 111025, but no document available (yet) on the council's website. Will see.

On RTE six-one news now, planning has just been granted!

Chances of a sod being turned, slim I'd say!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'd like to say a big Ni howerya to our Chinese friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1202/athlone.html

Westmeath County Council has granted planning permission for an international trade and commerce centre on a 137-hectare site at Creggan, Athlone.
    The centre, with a price tag of €175m, will promote trade and business between China, Europe and the US.
    An estimated 1,500 jobs are expected to be created as part of the project, as well as 1,200 posts during the construction phase.
    A planning application was lodged last May for the first part of what has been dubbed the Athlone Chinatown project. Planning was granted this afternoon to Athlone Business Park Ltd, the company behind the venture, with 47 conditions.
    A statement from the project backers pointed out that the majority of all of these jobs will be for Irish/EU nationals.
    Phase one of the international trade and commerce centre will comprise of two exhibition halls, each containing space for 270 concessionaires to display their wares, one hall for visiting exhibitions with space for 135 flexible separate display areas, nine smaller exhibition halls, one administrative building and an entrance concourse.
    When completed, it will comprise a total of nine exhibition halls, nine smaller independent exhibition buildings, one temporary exhibitions space, offices, administrative services, some living quarters, hotels, shops, restaurants, pubs, a school and train station.
    Financed by a combination of private equity and pre-sales of concession spaces at the centre, backers claim there is potential for 9,000 jobs if the master plan for the centre is fully developed, with at least two thirds made up of Irish/EU workers and up to one third Chinese specialists and management staff.
    The centre is expected to attract a potential 1.5 million international buyers and visitors annually when completed.
    The International Trade and Commerce Centre will provide showcase/demonstration space for Chinese manufacturers and traders to display their products to European and other international buyers, with a view to generating bulk orders, which will then be delivered from the producers in China.
    Export oriented enterprises and products from China, including electric cars, medical devices, fabrics and machinery will be displayed and traded from the centre.
    There will be a dedicated cultural space for showcasing Chinese heritage and culture.
    The overall master plan for the entire 337-acre site will provide for up to 3,000 companies to display their wares in the nine exhibition halls and other facilities.
    There is also potential for Irish goods and products to be showcased at the centre to gain access to the expanding Asian markets.
    If successful, the centre will bring European and American trade buyers/business people to Athlone, instead of the current need for expensive and time consuming travel to and within China for such purchasing and trading activity, it added:)

Hope it all goes to plan :) Anyway what possibly could go wrong ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

realies wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1202/athlone.html

Westmeath County Council has granted planning permission for an international trade and commerce centre on a 137-hectare site at Creggan, Athlone.
    The centre, with a price tag of €175m, will promote trade and business between China, Europe and the US.
    An estimated 1,500 jobs are expected to be created as part of the project, as well as 1,200 posts during the construction phase.
    A planning application was lodged last May for the first part of what has been dubbed the Athlone Chinatown project. Planning was granted this afternoon to Athlone Business Park Ltd, the company behind the venture, with 47 conditions.
    A statement from the project backers pointed out that the majority of all of these jobs will be for Irish/EU nationals.
    Phase one of the international trade and commerce centre will comprise of two exhibition halls, each containing space for 270 concessionaires to display their wares, one hall for visiting exhibitions with space for 135 flexible separate display areas, nine smaller exhibition halls, one administrative building and an entrance concourse.
    When completed, it will comprise a total of nine exhibition halls, nine smaller independent exhibition buildings, one temporary exhibitions space, offices, administrative services, some living quarters, hotels, shops, restaurants, pubs, a school and train station.
    Financed by a combination of private equity and pre-sales of concession spaces at the centre, backers claim there is potential for 9,000 jobs if the master plan for the centre is fully developed, with at least two thirds made up of Irish/EU workers and up to one third Chinese specialists and management staff.
    The centre is expected to attract a potential 1.5 million international buyers and visitors annually when completed.
    The International Trade and Commerce Centre will provide showcase/demonstration space for Chinese manufacturers and traders to display their products to European and other international buyers, with a view to generating bulk orders, which will then be delivered from the producers in China.
    Export oriented enterprises and products from China, including electric cars, medical devices, fabrics and machinery will be displayed and traded from the centre.
    There will be a dedicated cultural space for showcasing Chinese heritage and culture.
    The overall master plan for the entire 337-acre site will provide for up to 3,000 companies to display their wares in the nine exhibition halls and other facilities.
    There is also potential for Irish goods and products to be showcased at the centre to gain access to the expanding Asian markets.
    If successful, the centre will bring European and American trade buyers/business people to Athlone, instead of the current need for expensive and time consuming travel to and within China for such purchasing and trading activity, it added:)

Hope it all goes to plan :) Anyway what possibly could go wrong ;):rolleyes:

The should call it Shaghai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

YAY investments and jobs!

Advertisement