Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New MMA/Cage Fighter.

• 06-11-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

is 14 to young 2 be cage fighting ??
    or is there any1 actually doing it at this age
    been doing stand up and brazilian jiu-jistiu for yrs and do a bit of sparring.
    what age is ideal to start ?

(Mod edit, title changed).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Finian123 wrote: »

Yes, 14 is too young to be "Cage Fighting".

You should give MMA a try instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Finian123

MrStuffins wrote: »

i plan 2 do the mma league on the 20th but its the cage i want if u get me.. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

i plan 2 do the mma league on the 20th but its the cage i want if u get me.. thanks

Why do you "want" the cage? I'm not entirely sure what you mean?

Why do you "want" the cage? I'm not entirely sure what you mean?
    i want it because i plan 2 do it wen am older a long shot of a dream. even to have my own bjj club when am older is a great dream of mine.
    its the Atmosphere that i love when am at cage contender to be one of the fighters in it would just be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Cage is a big step up from the mmaleague mats, in terms of strategy, rule set and atmosphere/psychological affects. The coach in your club Finian will give you the direction you need on when you should make the move from MMA league to semi-pro MMA. Definitely try and get a good few rounds of the MMA league in before oyu make the transition would be my advice. Some promoters are not fully of supportive of people your age fighting on shows but others are, so there are definitely fights out there for 15 year olds etc. No need to rush it.

• Advertisement

Cage is a big step up from the mmaleague mats, in terms of strategy, rule set and atmosphere/psychological affects. The coach in your club Finian will give you the direction you need on when you should make the move from MMA league to semi-pro MMA. Definitely try and get a good few rounds of the MMA league in before oyu make the transition would be my advice. Some promoters are not fully of supportive of people your age fighting on shows but others are, so there are definitely fights out there for 15 year olds etc. No need to rush it.
    i understand what you are saying.
    my coach is best friends with my father so itl be awhile before he has the confidence to let me into the cage.everytime i mention it he says oh aye put u in the cage get knocked out come on how finian get on aw he got knocked out first round he says he would never get a cup of tea in my house again:L. thanks very much for ur advice.i appreceite it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

most shows do 1 or 2 jr MMA fights to open there card, Rumble in Rush always tries to have 1 or 2 to open anyway if your good enough then your coach may let you do it, if he believes in it that is, a few of my teens have done it and loved it..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    most shows do 1 or 2 jr MMA fights to open there card, Rumble in Rush always tries to have 1 or 2 to open anyway if your good enough then your coach may let you do it, if he believes in it that is, a few of my teens have done it and loved it..
    yh thats why i was wondering because i wasnt sure what age they were i thought maybe 16..
    its not that my coach dosent think am good enough.hes my dads best friend its a not a strict coach student relationship.
    he is at my house every other day i think its he dosent want 2 c me hurt...
    am 14 prefer 70kg if u are ever doing a fight card for rush and u need a fighter that age weight let me know thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Thanks for that but i only deal with coaches, im sure your coach would not want anyone to get hurt so would treat you all the same..

You'll get your chance when the coach is happy for you to do it, keep up the training and im sure we'll see you on 1 of the cards in the near future..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Thanks for that but i only deal with coaches, im sure your coach would not want anyone to get hurt so would treat you all the same..

You'll get your chance when the coach is happy for you to do it, keep up the training and im sure we'll see you on 1 of the cards in the near future..
    u bet on it :L
    thanks very much for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Why the rush? Why not train your ass off in an MMA gym for another 2-3 years and then get some fights like C class and get the experience then when you're more prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Give it over, your in the wrong forum to be pulling that rubbish.

I'll resist the temptation to ask what you were doing when you were 14.

OP, any advice Cowzer gives you take it and treat it as gospel.

He runs (and coaches) the very successful Rush Fight Accademy and has been bringing lads your age to some great success.

Fair play to ya for wishing to follow a dream.

Mods, please leave this thread in this forum for the time being - thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

There are two 15 year old lads fighting on the next Cage Contender show.
    Mark Walker vs James Gallagher
    It is a re-match of a fight they had a few months ago on the Immortal show in Strabane. That fight went the distance and i believe alot of people (including John Ferguson) were very impressed with these guys performances hence the re-match.

With regards to Ideal starting age that all depends on you. When you train enough and show enough commitment to the sport your coach will know when its time for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

i think its great that theres a young lad like yourself whos interested in the sport and your enthusiasm is nice to see.

my advice - listen to the experts on here who have already replied to you and keep training hard.

Why the rush? Why not train your ass off in an MMA gym for another 2-3 years and then get some fights like C class and get the experience then when you're more prepared.
    i have no problem training and putting in the effort but ive i dont get it then well its a waste of time

There are two 15 year old lads fighting on the next Cage Contender show.
    Mark Walker vs James Gallagher
    It is a re-match of a fight they had a few months ago on the Immortal show in Strabane. That fight went the distance and i believe alot of people (including John Ferguson) were very impressed with these guys performances hence the re-match.

With regards to Ideal starting age that all depends on you. When you train enough and show enough commitment to the sport your coach will know when its time for you.
    yes i attended the immortal show in strabane the whole card was very entertaining and i particuraly enjoyed ronnie brennans fight another teen fighting well..yes i yh i try to train every day weather its mma or no gi or gi or doing laps in the football pitch

Give it over, your in the wrong forum to be pulling that rubbish.

I'll resist the temptation to ask what you were doing when you were 14.

OP, any advice Cowzer gives you take it and treat it as gospel.

He runs (and coaches) the very successful Rush Fight Accademy and has been bringing lads your age to some great success.

Fair play to ya for wishing to follow a dream.

Mods, please leave this thread in this forum for the time being - thank you.
    really i didnt know this
    i appreceite every bit of advice from anyone who is experienced in the cage mat or the whole area off martial arts.
    thanks again

i think its great that theres a young lad like yourself whos interested in the sport and your enthusiasm is nice to see.

my advice - listen to the experts on here who have already replied to you and keep training hard.
    well am defiantly intersted and enthuastic about this because i have been doing it my whole life
    thanks for ur advicee

Advertisement