Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV in January - couple of questions

Options
  • 06-11-2010 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

I am researching heading off on the WHV to Oz in January. Been traipsing boards and have got loads of info but just have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to:

I am going with an agency to set up tax file, bank acc, etc. I know it is probably be cheaper to do it myself but I am booking a touring package and it is part of it so might aswell. As I am going alone I think I will appreciate the support of an agency also. I will need to sort visa, insurance and flights myself. Would you guys do this through usit, etc or is there a cheaper way?

My passport is due for renewal in August next year. I will definately be coming home for a wedding just before this but I'm wondering should I renew it now? Does it need to be valid for 12 months from entry to Oz?

In relation to flights, do you recommend booking one-way or return? What, in your experience, are the best airlines, etc? Also, if booking return I won't have a set date. What are my options here? Any of the websites I've looked at don't give any option for an open return date.

Do I need to get any vaccinations or anything other than the flights, visa and insurance?

Any info much appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bumpy101

not sure about the rest of your questions but in order to get the whv im pretty sure you have to have a passport that is valid for at least the next year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

LexiLou wrote: »
    I am going with an agency to set up tax file, bank acc, etc. I know it is probably be cheaper to do it myself but I am booking a touring package and it is part of it so might aswell. As I am going alone I think I will appreciate the support of an agency also. I will need to sort visa, insurance and flights myself. Would you guys do this through usit, etc or is there a cheaper way?
    you can use usit, or any other travel agency. I'd do it myself, but if you're unsure of doing it yourself, shop around with the travel agents. Have them sort it all out for you!
    My passport is due for renewal in August next year. I will definately be coming home for a wedding just before this but I'm wondering should I renew it now? Does it need to be valid for 12 months from entry to Oz?
    If memory serves me right, your passport must be valid for 6 months after your intended return date. you should probably renew it now.
    In relation to flights, do you recommend booking one-way or return? What, in your experience, are the best airlines, etc? Also, if booking return I won't have a set date. What are my options here? Any of the websites I've looked at don't give any option for an open return date.
    You said you definitely had to return for a wedding, didn't you? Book the return flight. for a start, it's cheaper than booking two one way flights. I have had good enough experiences with quantas, cathay pacific, etihad. You can also rearrange the return flight date with them at a later date for a fee.
    Do I need to get any vaccinations or anything other than the flights, visa and insurance?
    you don't need any vaccines for Oz, unless you intend going to Vietnam or someplace along the way. it will be.. warm.. in Jan when you get there. ;) Buy sunscreen before you leave the airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bosco26

Hi,
    I am not trying to hijack anyone's thread but I am heading over to Oz in the next few weeks and I just have a couple of questions that might also be of benefit to the Op.

I applied for the Working holiday visa and it was granted via email. Is this all that I should receive, should I have got anything in the post? Or is it just a matter of giving them my passport at immigration on arrival?

I currently have health cover that I pay on a monthly basis at home, should I just cancel this policy and then get backpacker insurance?

I arrive early in the morning and I was wondering if anyone knows any cheap hotels or decent hostels where I can get my own room in Sydney?

I have organised most of this myself rather than using Usit so I was just wondering how I go about getting my tax number. Does anyone know exactly where I go in Sydney?

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Bosco26 wrote: »
    I applied for the Working holiday visa and it was granted via email. Is this all that I should receive, should I have got anything in the post? Or is it just a matter of giving them my passport at immigration on arrival?
    It's associated with your passport number, so that's all you need.

As for the rest,
    • google hostels in Sydney, and shop around for the cheapest.
    • talk to your health insurer.
    • Look up ato.gov.au

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bosco26

It's associated with your passport number, so that's all you need.

As for the rest,
    • google hostels in Sydney, and shop around for the cheapest.
    • talk to your health insurer.
    • Look up ato.gov.au

Cheers, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LexiLou

Well it looks like Oz is off guys. Thanks so much for the advice but I was also hoping to bring my dog and, although I now know how to go about it, it's looking impossible to find accommodation that will take her too. And if they are anti-dog I wouldn't have a hope of actually travelling around. Oh well. Definately getting out of the country though but may need to shop closer to home. :)

Thanks again!

Advertisement