Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DM8000 HD going cheap?

• 06-11-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Seen a DM800HD on Satfooldeals going very cheap at £430 & no mention of it being a clone. I've never bought from this site & have no affiliation with them, but going approx half the regular price it seems too good to be true. although, as said if it seems too good to be through....it probably is.
    Just wondering what peoples opinions/Views on this are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

shinobi wrote: »
    Seen a DM800HD on Satfooldeals going very cheap at £430 & no mention of it being a clone. I've never bought from this site & have no affiliation with them, but going approx half the regular price it seems too good to be true. although, as said if it seems too good to be through....it probably is.

*Includes Ferrari SIM = it's a Clone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

shinobi wrote: »

It's a clone - comes with Ferrai SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Thanks GTG60/azzeretti, I'm not up with the lingo at all.
    As far as I understand clones can be an expensive mistake if you get the wrong image, but otherwise, is there much in the difference in the functionality of a clone & the genuine article?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Probably a clone, link below to offical Dreambox dealer.

http://dreamboxshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

From a person with experience with clones, please dont go near them

you maybe lucky and get a ok one but iv found they are a pile of ****

If you have that much money to spend, get a legit dreambox 500HD, which im thinking of parting ways with mine
    /plug :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

I would be careful before buying a dreambox 8000 right now especially for a discounted price. Because Dreambox announced on the 27th of October that 128 dreamboxes were stole in Germany. You could ask the seller to tell you the serial number of the box and check it against the serial codes of the stolen dreamboxes on the below website

"
    Stolen Dreamboxes in circulation

Stolen Dreamboxes

Dream publishes serial numbers

Lünen, 27. October 2010. Dream Multimedia, the leading supplier of Linux-based set-top boxes, has warned consumers not to buy stolen goods. 128 Dreamboxes model DM8000 HD PVR were stolen in a burglary recently. Dream has reported the matter to the authorities, who are investigating.
    It can be assumed the stolen Dreamboxes will be offered for sale at particularly attractive prices. Consumers are therefore advised to be wary if they come across offers for a DM8000 at far below the usual market prices.
    Here on this page you will find the serial numbers of the stolen Dreamboxes, in order to provide consumers with the greatest possible degree of confidence when purchasing a DM8000 HD PVR.
    In addition, Dream advises of possible legal consequences arising from the purchase of stolen goods. Should the police find a stolen Dreambox in the hands of a consumer, the Dreambox must of course be returned, and the consumer risks a criminal prosecution for aiding and abetting a theft by turning a blind eye to the possibility of purchasing stolen goods.
    Dream spokesperson Alpaslan Karasu: „We will do everything in our power to ensure the thieves gain no benefit from the stolen Dreamboxes. Specifically, we want to warn consumers not to buy extremely cheap Dreamboxes on offer without first checking against the list of serial numbers of stolen items on our homepage.“ "

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/en/stolen-dreamboxes-circulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Ive purchased from Satfooldeals in the past, I found them very good to deal with. This is a clone alright. Would you not think of a Vu duo, very good box imo.

Ive purchased from Satfooldeals in the past, I found them very good to deal with. This is a clone alright. Would you not think of a Vu duo, very good box imo.

FF

what are the VU Duo like? Are they easy to use etc

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have a Vu+ and love it!

I was wary at first, but now I've got to grips with it, I'm happy.

Using the second last VIX image. Very stable.

Headshot wrote: »
    FF

what are the VU Duo like? Are they easy to use etc

They are top class Headshot, I was complaining lately that they are so stable i'm bored lol. Simple to upgrade, full 7 day epg, twin tuners, loads of plugins. A good few posters here have one. There is also a single tuner one which is a bit cheaper that has got a Vix image for it lately. I couldn't recommend it more, any questions just ask. Satworld and satellitetv.ie stock them in Ireland. Or plenty of places online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

The DM8000HD is possibly one of the best boxes I've read about on some of the forums. The only reason I was considering buying it was for the apparent unbelievably low price which I got in an email. I have an AZbox at present & bought it on the empty promises of opensat. The box isn't very bad but am disappointed that what was promised by the manufacturers never came to light or whatever little did was done third party, e.g. 7 day epg. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the great work on the E2 project, but it wont fix everything like watch one tuner & record from another due to hardware issues which I only found out about after buying the box. I'm going to leave it for a while before changing my STB unless I come across some *Unbelievable deal*:o.
    Anyway, I will be keeping an eye on the progress of the VU+ etc.

Thanks again for the replies.

wheres the cheapest place to buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

thanks for that

Ill read up on few more reviews and sell the 500HD on ebay
    (btw if anyones interested in a legit dreambox 500HD, send me a pm)

Oh also reading a review it mentioned this

"Our only real trouble concerned DiSEqC, certainly with a Moteck positioner. Although there was no problem configuring satellites during the setup phase, the dish would fail to move when a channel on a different satellite was subsequently selected for viewing."

is that the case still ?

I don't know, maybe post your question in the Vu duo thread Headshot? Better chance of getting it answered.

man im blind

thanks anyway ff

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've not had any motor issues, though I use USALS.

It might depend on what image was being used by the reviewer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Anyone ordered from this site before??

Prices look pretty good!

http://www.hdtvdreambox.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭irishchris

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Anyone ordered from this site before??

Prices look pretty good!

http://www.hdtvdreambox.com/

never heard if them but they are cheap. but 24-48 hour delivery sounds like eurozone seller. definitely clones also as stated ion website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

irishchris wrote: »
    never heard if them but they are cheap. but 24-48 hour delivery sounds like eurozone seller. definitely clones also as stated ion website
    its 24-48 hours before you get your tracking number, looks like it will be shipped direct from China ... so add import duty onto that and if it breaks then you have to front up the cost to send it back to China (assuming you'll receive it in the first place)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭irishchris

also as ifound out to my cost although all these clone sites offer warranties, by chinese law you are prohibited in sending electronics that were made in china back to china. you have to email the maker who then emails you back a description of what part is faulty if possible and how to remove it. then you can send back the faulty part and label the package as faulty parts or will be held at incoming customs in china. then they ship you back the replacement part and description on how to repair it. Shoddy!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

irishchris wrote: »
    also as ifound out to my cost although all these clone sites offer warranties, by chinese law you are prohibited in sending electronics that were made in china back to china. you have to email the maker who then emails you back a description of what part is faulty if possible and how to remove it. then you can send back the faulty part and label the package as faulty parts or will be held at incoming customs in china. then they ship you back the replacement part and description on how to repair it. Shoddy!!!!

yes, its a joke really ... far better to try and find a UK/Ireland supplier or Europe at least then it should be that bit easier to send back

Advertisement