Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SILENT MARINE DRILL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

...that sure is alot of federal dollars spent on training some world class majorettes :D

it's such a shame that the DF didn't keep some Lee Enfields for ceremonial work,the Steyr doesn't cut it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Its not that hot TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

I reckon the Norwegians are way better at drill. HMKG are one of the best drill platoons I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp7ywsgtcuw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

i know this isnt actually military marching but i think its still pretty impressive
    http://www.break.com/index/walking-with-precision

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

foinse wrote: »
    I reckon the Norwegians are way better at drill. HMKG are one of the best drill platoons I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp7ywsgtcuw

Are you for real!they can do some about turns and change arms,big whoop!

The marines are a different class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Nothing to see here. This is no different to dance choreography. Just learn 60 seconds of movements.

Not impressed at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Nothing to see here. This is no different to dance choreography. Just learn 60 seconds of movements.

Not impressed at all

punchdrunk wrote: »
    ...that sure is alot of federal dollars spent on training some world class majorettes :D

it's such a shame that the DF didn't keep some Lee Enfields for ceremonial work,the Steyr doesn't cut it

Most of these majorettes have served at least one tour in Iraq or A'stan..

Yeah your right the IDF drill is pretty lame!maybe they should stop using the rifle strap attached to it, when doing drill.

muletide wrote: »

Not impressed at all

dance choreography..

go back asleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    If you've spent longer than 5 seconds in the Irish defence forces, you will be heartily fed up with endless hours. lost forever, spent on the square doing foot drill or arms drill or funeral drill and all that ****e, which is why the DF has no dedicated arms drill team.It's a serious waste of time and effort and I'm very glad I never have to do it again.The only exception is for funerals and commemorations.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    If you've spent longer than 5 seconds in the Irish defence forces, you will be heartily fed up with endless hours. lost forever, spent on the square doing foot drill or arms drill or funeral drill and all that ****e, which is why the DF has no dedicated arms drill team.It's a serious waste of time and effort and I'm very glad I never have to do it again.The only exception is for funerals and commemorations.
    regards
    Stovepipe

+1

Its grand for an organisation the size of the Marines to dedicate so much time to this (which I think is amazing) but if the DF started to waste time and resources on an already limited and hard hit force then questions would have to be asked!

rookie09 wrote: »

Everyone has an infatuation with USMC ever since the silent drill at the start of "A Few Good Men", Yes they are a good drill team....But they are not as everybody believes, the best.

I've had the pleasure of being to a number of tattoos in Edinburgh. And have seen a great many drill teams live. In my experience I reckon that the HMKG are one of the best drill teams I have ever seen.

Their display is made even more impressive when you learn that every member on the esplanade in the video I posted are conscripts doing 2 years national service. They don't spend a career doing silent drill like the USMC do.

I'd even rate the US Army's 3rd infantry (The Old Guard) over the USMC drill team. Their drill at the tomb of the unknown soldier is legendary.

I think you're mistaking great silent drill, which is a precise movement of complex drill without voice command. With the baton twirling majorette style of arms drill that the USMC do very well. But they are not the only ones out there doing it, and they're definitely not the best at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I watched a documentary about the Irish cadets doing drills for JFK, you should have a gander.

mgmt wrote: »
    I watched a documentary about the Irish cadets doing drills for JFK, you should have a gander.

JFK was so impressed with the Cadet class that they were requested to perform our funeral drill at his grave side...the only time a foreign military took the honour.

That's a great documentary, saw it a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Offcourse the marines are a different class,they are proffesionals.
    HMKG is conscripts in their yearly compulsory service.
    And the best year so far was the 2004 guards.
    And the HMKG isnt just based on silent drill,its a combination of march,music and silent drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gS7iq3S1ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Most of these majorettes have served at least one tour in Iraq or A'stan..

Yeah your right the IDF drill is pretty lame!maybe they should stop using the rifle strap attached to it, when doing drill.

Why are we talking about the Israeli Defence Forces?

Advertisement