Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Folding Bike Argos - Waste of Money?

• 06-11-2010 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

I was looking to get a fold-up bike, knowing I would be paying about €600 or so, until I came across this bike in Argos.

I'll be using the bike for college Monday to Friday, and would be travelling about one mile a day, so I doubt that would be considered heavy use.

I am interested in the bike, but have very little knowledge about bikes, and wanted to know would it be worth getting the one in Argos?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

mgmt wrote: »

Never knew the UK site did reviews, thanks. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

According to the reviews the bike is both very light and very heavy, incredibly difficult to assemble yet a sinch to put together. It goes well in a caravan or a train. Saddle is both great and awful. Easy to setup and fold or really difficult to fold depending on who you believe.

Just noticed those polar reviews as well. I'm starting to guess what part of Britain the reviews are coming from.
    Seems the closer to Scotland, the stronger the people are. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Tombiman wrote: »
    I was looking to get a fold-up bike, knowing I would be paying about €600 or so, until I came across this bike in Argos.

I'll be using the bike for college Monday to Friday, and would be travelling about one mile a day, so I doubt that would be considered heavy use.

I am interested in the bike, but have very little knowledge about bikes, and wanted to know would it be worth getting the one in Argos?

Any thoughts appreciated. :)

As a general rule I'd avoid a folding bike, but if you only will use it for 1 mile its probably fine. Why do you want a folding bike? No place to keep a normal bike at home?

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    As a general rule I'd avoid a folding bike, but if you only will use it for 1 mile its probably fine. Why do you want a folding bike? No place to keep a normal bike at home?

No, I would be getting the bus home, so the bike is handy to bring on.
    I just need the bike because I am never on time for most of my lectures due to them being a fair distance out. I'd only be about 5 minutes late, but the bike would just help me to get there faster.

That and exercise. Always have to mention exercise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I'm a sucker for Argos reviews, I bought a hairdryer there today and came home and read the reviews after. I even reviewed plates last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You could get a basic 3-speed Brompton with front luggage mount for about €800 in Cycleways. That will last for years and have a good re-sale value too.

I can't find a review of that Argos bike at foldsoc.co.uk, which is generally a good site for folder reviews.

This might help you decide what you're looking for:
    http://foldsoc.co.uk/buyguide.html

A bad folder is a terrible thing. Can be very hard to steer, very hard to fold and very hard to carry.

This is not a good sign (from one of the Argos reviews):
    But it fits in a normal size boot (just about)

You might very quickly tire of carrying a folder of that size and weight. Actually, I don't know the weight because I can't find it in the specifications. Not a good sign. Quite a few complaints about the weight, so I presume it's at least 12 or 13kg.

However, you'd probably end up carrying a Brompton around with you all day. You'd be safer locking up this cheaper folder outside than a Brompton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Mobiky is cheaper than a Brompton.

It has tiny wheels, but this review says it's ok for short distances.

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/mobiky.html

Advertisement