Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

browning buckmark .22 rifle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In practical terms, the major difference is that you apply to your chief super instead of your super, and you specify on the application form that you want a restricted firearm. You'll have to meet a higher security standard; but that standard is that you have a gunsafe, and you'd have that anyways. Aside from that, there's not much any target shooter is going to run into; the rest of the restricted list's impact is only on sentencing for when someone breaks the Firearms Act with a restricted firearm (they're meant to get a heavier sentence for breacking the Act with a restricted firearm than they would if they used an unrestricted firearm).

As to whether you'd get the licence, you meet the legal requirements for age; so it's down to the other details of your application (what purpose, what range you'll be shooting in, that sort of thing) and your Chief Superintendent's decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

And depending where you live so they know it is a mistake that it is 'restricted' and is no different to any other standard .22 semi so will not treat it any differently - bar checking you have a safe

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    they know it is a mistake that it is 'restricted'
    Don't bring this up again B'man. Whether or not bullpup rifles should be restricted is a seperate debate (and in my opinion, a short one ending in the word "no"), but the legal fact is that they are; and that the buckmark is legally restricted. And this constant faffing about of yours saying "erra, sure it's not really" has the potential to drop someone in a lot of hot water - and it won't be you who'll be charged with possession of an unlicenced restricted firearm if that happens, so kindly re-read the charter, note the part that says:
    Advocating, condoning or soliciting information about breaking the law is prohibited;
    and give it a rest with the whole "erra, sure it's not really" line until such time as we have an opportunity to amend the restricted list to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

because im 16 and im thinking about buying my first rifle and i was just wondering if i get this rifle would the gaurds allow me to get a license for it because of its pistol and pistol grip design?

First off, which rifle are you thinking of getting?
    would the gaurds allow me to get a license for it because of its pistol and pistol grip design?[/

Secondly, if it is a rifle (rimfire or centrefire, fullbore or smallbore, semi-auto or bolt-action, makes no difference) - the fact that it has a pistol-grip is entirely irrelevant to whether it is restricted or non-restricted (The pistol-grip restriction only applies to shotguns)

sparks, you're losing your touch, buddy!:D:rolleyes:

dCorbus wrote: »
    sparks, you're losing your touch, buddy!:D:rolleyes:
    Just tired dC :D Besides, I think in this case, it'd be more the appearance of the pistol grip that you'd worry about with your local Super as it's not what most of them would think of when they think of the word 'rifle'. But since it's restricted, it goes up the chain, and the CSs, despite one or two being opposed to firearms ownership in general, are somewhat better briefed than the supers. Rank hath its privileges and all that.

• Advertisement

jimmy5694, the poster above, didn't make any mention of the buckmark rifle one way or the other - we've gone so far away from that and there has been so many other rifles mentioned in this thread, that may not be the rifle he is refering to.

Hold on a wee second there, my good man......

If it's not the Buckmark rifle which he's referring to.......

You must be very tired....

Have a re-read of what you've just posted and edit accordingly (that's a front-seat modding suggestion BTW);)
    it'd be more the appearance of the pistol grip that you'd worry about with your local Super as it's not what most of them would think of when they think of the word 'rifle'.

Ahem, cough, cough.....

I've two words for you to think about before you do any editing about references to "pistol grips":

bleiker, anschutz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I never said it was restricted or was not - I said it was a mistake

I never suggested that you would be issued a non-restricted license - a restricted license is no big deal - makes no difference to the licensee

what I said is that any ChSup that knows what they are talking about knows that a Buckmark should not be restricted and hence will not be all squeaky bummed about it when dealing with an application as they would if you came looking for a real restricted rifle at 16

But it will depend on whether your ChSup is well informed or not

B'Man

dCorbus wrote: »
    jimmy5694, the poster above, didn't make any mention of the buckmark rifle one way or the other
    He said "if I get this rifle" in a thread about the buckmark, bringing it back up after more than a month. I made an assumption that he used the search function to find the thread and so was interested in a buckmark...

Fair point. Accepted.:D

Maybe the young chap could clarify this just in case, so we're all not talking/posting at cross-purposes?

If it is the Buckmark rifle he is thinking of getting, any particular reason?
    TBH It seems like an exotic, hard-to-come-by, and kinda expensive choice for a first-time rifle, best suited to GR, but a bit OTT for bunnybashing and pretty much not the "right shape" for BR.

(But, hold fire, lads: that's just my very humble and ill-informed opinion - I happen to actually really like the Buckmark in all it's forms).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

To be honest, if I could have one (Restricted bullpup semi-auto lethal mad dangerous yoke for bunny bashing seems a little hard to explain :rolleyes:) I'd love one for rabbits. Fast to point, good trigger, good stock length for me, accurate, yep, definitely a great little bunny rifle, especially for the sort of hedge-walking fast shooting bunny hunting I like.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't mind one in the Christmas Stocking myself.
    But they do seem to be like hen's teeth and not a cheap option either.

A lovely lovely bit of sporting equipment - If I did have one, the GR lads would have to put up with my company too!

But, as I said, seems a bit exotic for a first-rifle. That said, to each their own, and I'm all for any lad getting whatever he wants/likes/takes a fancy to - I'm just not sure if the chap realises what it is he's hoping to buy? That's all.

(I know that sounds like a very condescending remark if taken the wrong way - so I apologise in advance if any offence is taken - none however is intended - I'm just curious about the choice of firearm).

Advertisement