Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Specs for a netbook

• 06-11-2010 9:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hey, im looking at buying a netbook, and I can get one for about €240 refurb with these specs:
    • Screen size - 11.6 in
    • Processor - Intel Atom Z520 - 1.33
    • RAM - 2 GB
    • Hard Drive - 250 GB
    • Operating System - Windows Vista Home Basic Edition 32 bit
    • Graphics - Intel GMA 550
    Are these specs good and is the price good for what I would be getting? The processor worries me as most netbooks nowadays use the 1.66 Intel Atom N450 and this is a fair bit off. Its an acer btw too. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

processor will be fair bit slower than the average netbook

vista probably the worst operating system for a netbook

lenovo have a slightly better looking offer at the moment, or theres an amd based one in argos, both mentioned in bargain alerts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

processor will be fair bit slower than the average netbook

vista probably the worst operating system for a netbook

lenovo have a slightly better looking offer at the moment, or theres an amd based one in argos, both mentioned in bargain alerts
    The reason I like it though is because it has the bigger screen and big HD and 2gb of RAM. Is the processor a massive hindrance like, could I use it fine for like microsoft office, itunes, fireffox etc. and have no problems or is it a very poor processor?

Do you have links to those 2 offers as I cant find them on bargain alerts. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The reason I like it though is because it has the bigger screen and big HD and 2gb of RAM. Is the processor a massive hindrance like, could I use it fine for like microsoft office, itunes, fireffox etc. and have no problems or is it a very poor processor?

Do you have links to those 2 offers as I cant find them on bargain alerts. thanks.

the two in bargain alerts have 12" screen, ram is usually upgradable but you'd need to check individual netbooks to make sure

processor 25% slower I'd guess but something you can't upgrade

I see you found the lenovo thread
    this was the argos 12", cant find the thread where I saw it, was mentioned that ran a bit hot and battery life a bit down on netbooks
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5082717.htm

edit: that price isnt what I remembered so maybe I was wrong about the argos one, sorry

the two in bargain alerts have 12" screen, ram is usually upgradable but you'd need to check individual netbooks to make sure

processor 25% slower I'd guess but something you can't upgrade

I see you found the lenovo thread
    this was the argos 12", cant find the thread where I saw it, was mentioned that ran a bit hot and battery life a bit down on netbooks
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5082717.htm
    Bit out my price range though unfortunately. Are MSI wind good netbooks though as theres alot of them there in argos. How much is a stick of a gig of ram for a netbook if I was to buy a netbook with the 1.5ghz processor and 1gb ram?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PrettyButch

Hey, im looking at buying a netbook, and I can get one for about €240 refurb with these specs:
    • Screen size - 11.6 in
    • Processor - Intel Atom Z520 - 1.33
    • RAM - 2 GB
    • Hard Drive - 250 GB
    • Operating System - Windows Vista Home Basic Edition 32 bit
    • Graphics - Intel GMA 550
    Are these specs good and is the price good for what I would be getting? The processor worries me as most netbooks nowadays use the 1.66 Intel Atom N450 and this is a fair bit off. Its an acer btw too. What do you think?

I don't think that is a very good deal AT ALL... Especially (i know you will have heard this a million times already) with Christmas coming. You'll pick up a much better deal then that Brand new. Refurbs can be an excellent buy/bargain. But this doesn't seem all that a good deal. (Not particularly BAD, either - but not a bargain (DABS) )

Have a look around, for example HERE , i sorted them by lowest price first, but the site must be having problems because it says the first few are €44.90 incl VAT.. heh heh.. that would be some bargain, if you get it. :):):D

elara, pixmania, ebay, click.ie, harveynorman etc etc..

Also some Here between €200 and €300 price range

I take your point on the screen size, but you should be able to pick up a better offer then that with not too much looking around.

• Advertisement

I don't think that is a very good deal AT ALL... Especially (i know you will have heard this a million times already) with Christmas coming. You'll pick up a much better deal then that Brand new. Refurbs can be an excellent buy/bargain. But this doesn't seem all that a good deal. (Not particularly BAD, either - but not a bargain (DABS) )

Have a look around, for example HERE , i sorted them by lowest price first, but the site must be having problems because it says the first few are €44.90 incl VAT.. heh heh.. that would be some bargain, if you get it. :):):D

elara, pixmania, ebay, click.ie, harveynorman etc etc..

Also some Here between €200 and €300 price range

I take your point on the screen size, but you should be able to pick up a better offer then that with not too much looking around.
    Yeah I get what your saying, but Im struggling to find any good offers on those sites you named (apart from ebay of course) either, unless you can see any? Any more sites I could look at? I really dont want to buy a netbook with a 10.1 inch screen though.

My price rang is up to about €300 max. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PrettyButch

Acer Aspire One 751, 11.6-Inch HD LED Netbook, Intel Atom Z520, 1.22 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB, XP Home, up to 7 Hours Battery Life, Webcam, Wifi (White) - £205 + Delivery (£5.50)

On Amazon, Plenty of others too

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003N3GG0Y/?tag=031bbsporg-20

Works out at €305 with current exchange rates, They say they deliver worldwide, but i've never tried so i don't know..

Also, might be some help HERE

Advertisement