Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best phone you're EVER owned, and why?

Options
  • 06-11-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭

I got my first mobile when i was 20, that's 18yrs ago, a brick of a thing, nokia i think it was.

Since then i've had so many, at least 1 a year, and up until this year when i went to HTC i have mainly stuck with Nokia's.

The best phone i have ever had, and am still using it with a UK Sim to keep in touch with family, is the Nokia N95 8gb, had it 3 years or so now, in great condition, never let me down and the Battery life is just awesome, i took it away with me to Greece, kept in powered on but didn't use it, lasted 12 days!!!

So whats the best phone you're ever had?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

While I can't definitively answer that question, as I've had a lot of handsets over the years, one of my absolute favourite handsets is the Sony Ericsson K800i.

As a handset, it's great, but as a cameraphone, it excels. I was completely amazed at how great the pictures were, especially in night-time; thanks in large part to the Xenon flash. When I showed people the pictures the K800i produced they were amazed that a handset could produce such detailed and realistic images. I also appreciated the camera's lens cover as it completely protected the lens thereby ensuring it wouldn't inadvertently get scratched while the handset was on a surface or in a pocket. Though it could never rival a dedicated digital camera, the K800i puts up a good fight all the same.

The handset uses a small joystick for menu navigation, which can polarise people's opinions on the handset as a result, but I never had issues with it and found it was easier to use than the directional pad found on most other handsets. I appreciated the little things about the handset, like the styling, animated screensavers, speakerphone and so many other things that I could go on and on all day about.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

+1 on the K800i, although quite liking the my nokia 5800, mainly for the wifi and the satnav.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alidxx

i think the best phone i had was the nokia 5310.. i have had sagem, motorola, lg etc but at the end of the day i think nokia phones are the best of them all.. the 5310 is nice and thin and has pink which is a necessity lol.. also easy use

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Was mainly a nokia user till N97 (make that the worst one)

Then found the HTC HD2 :)

Mainly cause of the MASSIVE SCREEN, the ability to run multiple operating systems :) and its easy to customize it ;)

wtfbh.png

K800i was the best camera phone i had :D Though the dirt behind the lens cover ruined that :S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A Siemens S55, it was huge step forward in what a phone was capable of doing. It did internet, email camera, had a colour screen and and attachable camera with flash. It was also very hackable.

Also the HTC hero...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

really liked the k800i, given that my previous phone had been a motorola it was quite a step up. However the N95 8gb was also my favourite. An absolute trojan of a phone. I might have to dig it out again now that my N900 appears to be dying :o

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

For me it has to be the nokia 3210

Reviews-Nokia-3210.jpg

The thing was bulletproof. I managed to drop it(mostly when under the influence) into/off of pretty much anything you can imagine and it never missed a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Sony Ericsson P900. For its time, the technology was top notch. The only problem was it was too bulky and battery life wasn't great. Managed to sell it a year later for most of what I paid for it.

Honourable mentions to for the Ericsson T28/T68, LG Chocolate, and Samsung D500/Jet. They were all impressive for their time I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

+1 on the nokia 3210

the thing was fantastic at the time....virtually indestructable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

A very old sharp phone, a colour phone, on the school bus we all used to take turns playing the pool game against each other, what a great phone it was at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nokia 6234. Just a fantastic phone. Never had a problem with mine. Had it for almost a year before I upgraded and sold my 6234. 3 months later, I bought another 6234 because the phone I bought (think it was a Sony Ericcson) was crap. Kept the second one for almost a year. Reliable, durable, had pretty much everything you wanted at the time, stylish and easy to use. Fantastic phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

@
    Bluefoam A Siemens S55, it was huge step forward in what a phone was capable of doing. It did internet, email camera, had a colour screen and and attachable camera with flash. It was also very hackable.
    Had serious shortcomings,
    1.)Very prone to picking up wind noise,(I live on west cost, so windy most of the time.) 2.)Buggy keyboard, had it replaced under guarantee , but persisted

I still have it,(not using)

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

the BT Cellnet Phillips Savvy.

philips-savvy.jpg

It would take 10 minutes to write a text message, and 5 minutes to read one (the message scrolled across the screen), but for me, and a lot of people it was revolutionary - the first phone that was priced to attract mass usage.

Ok, so the phones I used after this had better features, looked nicer, and didnt require reinforced pockets to store them in, but none will blow me away like my first ever phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Eh, every time i get a new phone it has features i 'Can't live without' but adds something else to go wrong.

K800 gets a nod for durability though... 4 years later, still see the odd one around.

R520M and T68i were both hassle free phones. Always loved the R520s retro futuristic looks, the blue blacklight ,the silver finish, the giant antenna.

...and without referring to them specifically, some of the Nokia phone's mentioned here as "Best" as some of the WORST phones i've ever owned.

Maybe their less complex phones are still good, but when it comes to Smartphones Nokia have repeatedly turned out products that are somewhat lacking, or just plain inexcusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

mono627 wrote: »
    +1 on the nokia 3210

the thing was fantastic at the time....virtually indestructable

Me too! That was my first phone. Thought it was so slick at the time compared to my parents older, bigger black nokias. Anyone know when it was released? Was trying to remember recently when I got my first phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

Me too! That was my first phone. Thought it was so slick at the time compared to my parents older, bigger black nokias. Anyone know when it was released? Was trying to remember recently when I got my first phone.

3210 was released in 2000 as far as I can remember...not really sure what month though, but I reckon it was early 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Nokia 8210

nokia%208210.jpg

Inherited from my father and swapped for my own Samsung something-or-other when he realised the 8210 was too small for him to use! I put a black cover on it.

Tiny, great at texting, lightweight, great battery, and it looked the s**t.

Best. Ever.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

3210 was a fantastic phone, I dunno how it kept going after the amount of times I dropped it!

But my favourite was the K800i, great phone for the time. In fact it's still working perfectly - I gave it to my sister, when the vibration thing stopped working and I kept missing calls. She uses it all the time and it never misses a beat. To cap it though, a few weeks after she got it, the vibration alerts started working again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 techknow

without a doubt my favourite phone over the years has been the Nexus One. I won one back in February and have been using it ever since and it has been superb. Fast, flexible and pretty customizable with the various different ROM's that are available on the net (I use cyanogenmod myself). More than any other phone it's allowed me to do some pretty nerdy things which I love. Great build quality as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

iPhone 4 32gb - hands down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am finding the Galaxy S to be the best phone I have ever had, definately beats anything else I have used :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 revie

Sony Ericsson K750i, loved it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

The Sony Ericsson W810, it is now my festival spare phone. Great Dumb Phone!

Unreal Battery, Very good Daytime camera, Decent MP3 Player, Live Wallpapers and you could install the Gmail app on it too! Even had a really good torch!

sony-ericsson-w810i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

HTC HD2, only phone that can boot into different OS. WinMo, Android, Ubuntu and now Windows Phone 7. Meego is also being ported to the HD2 too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Best phone I've ever had was my Nokia 5800 ... So sad it died :( It lasted so long!
    It was my first phone with touch screen and wifi and apps etc, and I thought it was amazing.

Have a Sony Ericsson Vivaz now, it doesn't compare to the 5800.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

jubella wrote: »
    Best phone I've ever had was my Nokia 5800 ... So sad it died :( It lasted so long!
    It was my first phone with touch screen and wifi and apps etc, and I thought it was amazing.

Have a Sony Ericsson Vivaz now, it doesn't compare to the 5800.

Same as urself :) but it was sold to get a horrible hape of ****e (N97)

I thought that phone was great :) Battery lasted ages

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think I got the best enjoyment out of a phone when I bought a Sharp GX10i (around ~2002-ish). I thought it was the bee's knees. It had a great colour screen, java-enabled games, good camera and you could get great ringtones. It was way ahead of the majority of phones at that time. And there was some Vodafone promotion as well that knocked €100 of the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Nokia N95.

Was a ground breaking phone when it first came out and still compares decently to newer smart phones in terms of spec. The GPS and camera on it have been invaluable to me over the years.

I still use it every day - I think it's great!

Advertisement