Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting to the Blasket islands in winter, ....are ferries running?

Options
  • 06-11-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

visiting dingle for new years and was hoping to go see the blaskets.
    emailed one ferry company who aren't working late december.

can anyone here tell me if late december just isn't a runner coz weather's so stormy? ....or if not, how can I get there?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most unlikely any ferry would run, the islands are no place for tourists in winter-much less the ferry across, on one of the wildest stretches of water in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

ok, cheers for clearing that up.

don't suppose you might have any suggestions for alternative outdoorsy activities?

was thinking of climbing Mt Brandon, and then maybe kayaking if that's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I wouldn't make any plans for climbing Brandon - the days are very short and the mountain will either be wet and slippery or very cold and frozen - and possibly both at different elevations. You might be lucky but I'd check with locals nearer the time. Best way at that time of the year is up from the Dingle/Baile Breac side not from Cloghane.
    Too many people end up being airlifted off or being rescued by the CD cliff and mountain rescue.
    Kayaking/surfing etc with a reputable group would be a better bet.
    There's always the Kerry/Dingle Way, which would give a good walk, safer, more on the level, but pretty mucky too - unless we get a winter like last year and they're all frozen.

Maybe a few hot whiskies in Flaherty's/John Benny's/Droichead Beag etc might be more in order. :D

cheers

still pretty set on doing mt brandon tho, so just have to hope the weather's not too bad come the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There's a climbing centre in Dingle which is supposedly the biggest in Ireland, haven't been but a friend of mine said it's brilliant there. It's about a km outside the town

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    There's a climbing centre in Dingle which is supposedly the biggest in Ireland, haven't been but a friend of mine said it's brilliant there. It's about a km outside the town

thanks. might check that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

visiting dingle for new years and was hoping to go see the blaskets.
    emailed one ferry company who aren't working late december.

can anyone here tell me if late december just isn't a runner coz weather's so stormy? ....or if not, how can I get there?

thanks

nuts that time of the year tbh for that craic.

you need to be at home with a hot whiskey beside the fire ffs ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Ive climbed mt Brandon on St Stephens day no problem. the top was frighteningly cold the way up and down was fine though we were up and down in under 5 hrs.

just don't climb it on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

sheesh wrote: »
    Ive climbed mt Brandon on St Stephens day no problem. the top was frighteningly cold the way up and down was fine though we were up and down in under 5 hrs.

just don't climb it on your own

Is that from the Dingle side?

Its at most 3 hours any time I've climbed from the Cloghane side.
    Last time I climbed was in February. It was cold but very doable.

OP just make sure there's a group going.

Advertisement