Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dahlias

Options
  • 06-11-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have just dug up all my dahlias and would like some advice as to what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Best thing to do is to wash them gently, let them dry out for 3-5 days in a garage or shed, and then put them in a grocery bag somewhere the frost wont hit them until next spring. In spring time the 'eyes' are easier to see and you can use the time from now until then to study what you have to do to divide them properly. There's tons of places online. But seen as your prob stuck for time before frosts, id advise just washing them and storing them safely for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I have just dug up all my dahlias and would like some advice as to what to do.

Dahias can survive in the soil in some areas of Ireland... Ensure you have Good Drainage... Depending where you are ...
    If you plan to dig them up then pack them in "dry" Compost and store in a Cool frost free room... But do not store in Plastic bags ... if you plan to bag them use Paper... Allow the tubers to Breath...

Make sure to select Healthy and damage free Tubers to reduce any rot's over storage time

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

jezko wrote: »
    Make sure to select Healthy and damage free Tubers to reduce any rot's over storage time

Some of the tubers have broken when I was cleaning the muck off, what can I do about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Some of the tubers have broken when I was cleaning the muck off, what can I do about that?

you can get some fungicides and "powder" the entire or damaged part's .. save the tuber and check on a regular basis for any infections/Rot's....

Never had to Dig up my tubers .. so can't say for sure if this would work... I was surprised to see mine survive even last Winter/Frost... It's what I would do...
    Good Luck with it.

Advertisement