Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for picking vegetables/meat etc

Options
  • 06-11-2010 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

I reckon picking the right ingrediants is half the battle, so what tips do you have for picking good ingrediants?

I only have the one tip :o.

avocados
    Should be as firm as the back of your thumb. ie the flesh between the first knuckle and the wrist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Main thing for me with pickling is sterility, I do a lot of jams, chutneys and pickles.

After that I waterbath them in reused jars, that way I know if I have a good or bad seal - i.e. the security nipple on the lid will depress itself as long as the waterbathing has been successful.
    Its a fairly although it does help to have asbestos fingertips.

When it comes to meat or veg ferment preservation, I built a cheap anaerobic fermenting chamber[/URL] for Saurkraut/Kapusta Kizona/Zuurkool type recipes that can also be used for corning meat like bacon (essentially corned pork) and beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I think the original poster meant picking foods, as in selecting them, as opposed to pickling. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I think the original poster meant picking foods, as in selecting them, as opposed to pickling. :)

:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

One tip I would give is regarding fish. If it looks bright and firm, it's good. If it looks slimey and gives off a distinct fishy smell, avoid.

Advertisement