Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Varadero 125 advice

• 06-11-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

After many a year of toying with the idea of getting a bike I have decided to bite the bullet:)

A Honda Varadero 125cc has been recommended to me as a first bike. Im a bit concerned with 2 issues for the moment, firstly - im 5'7'', I believe the varadero is a tall bike. Can the bike height be adjusted:confused: or will my height pose no problems for this bike.

Secondly, im just over 16 stone:o & ill be doing 50 -60 miles a day on a motorway 5 days a week. Will the poor 125cc struggle to move my fat arse:(

Once the restrictions allow it I will get a bigger bike, but looks like im stuck with a 125cc for the first year, or 2:confused:
    Thanks all
    Rich

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Hello all,

After many a year of toying with the idea of getting a bike I have decided to bite the bullet:)

A Honda Varadero 125cc has been recommended to me as a first bike. Im a bit concerned with 2 issues for the moment, firstly - im 5'7'', I believe the varadero is a tall bike. Can the bike height be adjusted:confused: or will my height pose no problems for this bike.

Secondly, im just over 16 stone:o & ill be doing 50 -60 miles a day on a motorway 5 days a week. Will the poor 125cc struggle to move my fat arse:(

Once the restrictions allow it I will get a bigger bike, but looks like im stuck with a 125cc for the first year, or 2:confused:
    Thanks all
    Rich

Not sure about the height thing - it might be a bit of an issue - but for 60 miles on a motorway daily I wouldn't really recommend a 125. Just too underpowered to be safe - you'll be stuck with cars overtaking you all the time time.

Just in case you don't know, on an A (not A1, which is only for if you're under 18) learner permit you're not restricted to a 125cc bike - the restriction is a 33Bhp output (or weight to power ratio). So you've actually a good choice of bikes that are under 33Bhp, or you can have a kit fitted that will restrict almost any bike to 33Bhp.

Plenty of 250cc, or 400cc bikes out there that are learner legal, and much safer on a motorway.

Though I've just realised now that you're not allowed on a motorway on a learners permit. Hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks Mike,

Yeah im still getting my head around the new laws and so on. I can avoid the motorway and take the national road so thats no problem.

So would a 250cc restricted to 33bhp do the job:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

OP, had the Varadero 125. Great bike. Am 5' 7" and not a problem. Your boots will add a bit of height. Only thing to be careful of is near kerbs and putting the foot down! have had the pleasure of dropping it when parking at a kerb but bike is very strong.
    As for speed, it will only do 75 mph tops. Did 65k miles on mine before I upgraded. Have to say the current bike lacks the motocross tyres of the Varadero but is very quick.

Thanks Fiskar, Looks like height wont be a problem so:) Im still a bit concerned with the lack of power issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

As mike mentioned, there are loads of bikes available to you if restricted.
    Your best bet would be to take a look at the numerous treads on the forum asking for advice on a first bike, there is loads of information there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

goodlad wrote: »
    As mike mentioned, there are loads of bikes available to you if restricted.
    Your best bet would be to take a look at the numerous treads on the forum asking for advice on a first bike, there is loads of information there.

Yeah you might be able to retrict say a 250cc or 400cc bike for the same insurance money. Ask them for a quote.
    My friends both had a Suzuki Bandit 600cc restricted and rode them for 2 years no bother. Strong bikes and with good headlights and a lot lower to the ground than the Honda Varadero, so you can get both feet down.

You can't do motorways on a learner license but then when you are starting out, you don't want to be on a motorway !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

What about a restricted 400CC sports bike?

Nice and low, and loads of power for a newbie.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    What about a restricted 400CC sports bike?

Nice and low, and loads of power for a newbie.

Im an absolute beginner so I dont think a sports style bike would be good for me or my insurance, Unless the insurance company base their quote on the bike been 33Bhp and dont take the style into it.

Ill have a read through the threads & try and spot a few more options for a first bike. Does it cost much to get a bike restricted?

P.s if it makes a difference ill be 30 when I plan to buy a bike, feb 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm on a Varadero 125 myself.

It’s my first bike, and only for inner city commuting for the most part, so I decided to be cautious and go for a good starter bike to learn my trade so to speak.

I'm 6ft 1 myself, so needed a taller bike too.

First off it is a great beginner bike, but in fairness I am considering changing already.

I've been on it about 2-3 months, and while it's been great at getting me very comfortable learning to drive, it's mainly the power.

It's a nice nippy bike, and you really wouldn't think it was a 125 to look at, but there's no real way I'd regularly go on a motorway on it.

While you can get it up to about 70-75mph, it's gonna be redlining at that, and it's no fun to be going the 60 miles you were talking about like that every day.
    Plus as was said you will be getting overtaken quite regularly.

Seeing as you have at least 6 months with the A learner permit before you can go for your license and go on a motorway anyway, you have to take that into account too.

As I said, I've been toying with the idea of moving up, but at the same time, still would prefer to go for a faster, but steady enough bike.

I've been thinking about a Honda CBR 250 once I get the full licence in a few months.

Thanks Karmafaerie, Its looking like Ill be starting on a restricted 250cc. From speaking to some people, a 125 will not be ideal for motorway travel. The 6 months I cant use the motorway will fly in.

Im finding it hard to find some info on 2 issues I have.

1, I had a claim on my car insurance at the start of this year, will this affect motorbike insurance or are they considered separate:confused:

2, Which is considered safer, leathers or fabric clothing. Or are they similar theses days:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Leathers better, but more expensive and not good in the rain and cold. Textiles are better for irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Im finding it hard to find some info on 2 issues I have.

1, I had a claim on my car insurance at the start of this year, will this affect motorbike insurance or are they considered separate:confused:

2, Which is considered safer, leathers or fabric clothing. Or are they similar theses days:confused:

1.) Yes, it will affect your motorbike insurance. :mad:

They ask if you have had any accidents, claims, convictions or penalty points in the last 3 to 5 years. Any claim on your car insurance counts against you, but any car NCB does not realy help. :mad:

2.) answered above.

Thanks p.c., I guess the first thing to find out is if I can get insured on a bike before I go any further:(

Whats my best option, ring them with a specific bike and see if can get a quote, or will they tell me out straight with a yes or no:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

There are only 4 companies that do bike insurance in R.O.I.

1.) Aon
    2.) Quinn
    3.) Adelaide
    4.) Carole Nash

Best is to phone them and get a quote before you buy the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Thanks p.c., I guess the first thing to find out is if I can get insured on a bike before I go any further:(

Whats my best option, ring them with a specific bike and see if can get a quote, or will they tell me out straight with a yes or no:confused:
    Just check the websites for online quotes. I'd say at thirty you'll get a quote on anything other than a 600+ sportsbike.

If you were considering a varadero you might be interested in a BMW F650 or a trans-alp. Similar style but a good bit more power. Maybe something to think about :D

Thanks Agilemyth, Im open to opinions on all suitable bikes for a beginner. Realistically im aiming for a 250cc tops. Cant imaging starting on anything bigger. Ill try some online quotes on a 250cc bike

Ok just done a quote with AON for a 249cc Honda cb ( dont even know what type of bike this is)

Quote Results...

Total:
    €579.21

€40 Aon Fee is included in the above quotation.

Thats TPFT. Only thing is, it ask very little questions for that quote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ok just done a quote with AON for a 249cc Honda cb ( dont even know what type of bike this is)

Assuming you entered a recent enough year...

Honda%20cb250%20Hornet%2096%20%201.jpg

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Assuming you entered a recent enough year...

Honda%20cb250%20Hornet%2096%20%201.jpg

Very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Don't always trust the online quotes.
    I was quoted over €500 online for the Varadero, but when I called up I got it down to €320.

I'm 28 myself, first bike, and I don't drive a car, so I was well happy with the insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Get your theory test done ASAP and apply for the learner permit. I think after the 16th December you will have to do 16 hours of training but this doesn't apply if you get your permit before then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Get your theory test done ASAP and apply for the learner permit. I think after the 16th December you will have to do 16 hours of training but this doesn't apply if you get your permit before then!

Its the 6th of December

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catcher1977

Hey Richard,
    I was in exactly the same boat as you - I'm 32 and changed from a car to a bike. I decided on a 125 Varadero and have it 2 months now. Having never ridden before its a wise choice to stick to a lower powered bike.
    The Varadero is only 15hp I think and I usually plod around at about 55. I'm still making mistakes all the time so the bike wont let me go fast enough to get in real trouble. I think I will be changing it after 6 months or so because I do find it underpowered.
    On the plus side the bike starts first time every day - even if I leave it out in the freezing cold overnight. And its really comfortable - I have a 50 mile round trip every day.
    I went to Cotters up in Ballymount to get my gear and got fitted out with Richa Jacket & Pants, helmet, gloves and boots for €400. They were really helpful with it all as well.
    I'm getting 85mpg out of the bike and the tax for the year is only €58 so it really makes financial sence to run a bike instead of a car. And its like a mini adventure - I get excited about the commute home about 30 minutes before I go home every day. I'm really enjoying it, hope you do too mate.

Hey Richard,
    I was in exactly the same boat as you - I'm 32 and changed from a car to a bike. I decided on a 125 Varadero and have it 2 months now. Having never ridden before its a wise choice to stick to a lower powered bike.
    The Varadero is only 15hp I think and I usually plod around at about 55. I'm still making mistakes all the time so the bike wont let me go fast enough to get in real trouble. I think I will be changing it after 6 months or so because I do find it underpowered.
    On the plus side the bike starts first time every day - even if I leave it out in the freezing cold overnight. And its really comfortable - I have a 50 mile round trip every day.
    I went to Cotters up in Ballymount to get my gear and got fitted out with Richa Jacket & Pants, helmet, gloves and boots for €400. They were really helpful with it all as well.
    I'm getting 85mpg out of the bike and the tax for the year is only €58 so it really makes financial sence to run a bike instead of a car. And its like a mini adventure - I get excited about the commute home about 30 minutes before I go home every day. I'm really enjoying it, hope you do too mate.

Thanks for that Catcher, Im looking forward to getting a bike, probably wont be until march next year before I get the funds together:( but in the mean time Im practicing for my theory test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

im 5"7 and the honda varadero 125 is grand im only 9 stone and my m8 has the same bike hes 18 stone and 6"2 and he gettin his to 70-75 no proplem

So a little bit of time has passed since my original post:o. Because of the financial side of things I had to drop my dream of getting a bike. Things are back on track now though and I have my theory test booked for early June:D

Im checking out IBT trainers at the moment ( Member- Please kill me ) I haven't forgotten to ring that IBT lad you suggested.

I haven't ruled out the Varadero but after understanding the 33bhp rules better now I must say, a Hornet or Bandit looks very nice.

I had hopped to bike/commute all year round and just tax the car for the 3 months over winter but after further study this wont be possible. It get too complicated with cancelling insurance and all that lark:mad: I hope to grow a pair of balls over the next few days and decide to sell the car. realistically The Boss has a car she does the school run in & im sure there wont be more than 7 - 14 days over the winter that wont be bike-able;) I hope, and I could always use her car for those few days if need be.

Quick one for you lads. Have I got this in the correct order....
    1. Do theory test
    2. Do IBT training
    3. Choose bike - seek insurance - get insured on the bike
    4. Bike to my hearts content for the 6 months until I can do my bike test

Lastly ..... If you had a budget of 500 - 600 hundred for gear, helmet, boots, gloves, pants & jacket ( textile ) what would you go for. I really haven't a clue who the top/quality brands are or who to avoid.

Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Given the distance you will be doing, get a restricted Deauville 650. Bullet proof engines, easy to service, and comfortable for the distance. Yeah they have problems, not too fast on the take off, exhaust down pipes rust and the contacts on the fuel pumps are not the best. But cheap to insure

Join Ireland Weather Network

:pac:
    thecivvie wrote: »
    Given the distance you will be doing, get a restricted Deauville 650. Bullet proof engines, easy to service, and comfortable for the distance. Yeah they have problems, not too fast on the take off, exhaust down pipes rust and the contacts on the fuel pumps are not the best. But cheap to insure

I must say I dismissed the Deauville from the start but after some research its prob number 1 on my list. Although that list changes from day to day:o
    Do the Garda still use them? or are they on BMW's now

Advertisement