Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prevent others accessing 192.168.1.254

Options
  • 06-11-2010 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently setup my wireless (with the help of some boardsies). I'm using it on a business premises and have 2 SSIDs, one private and one public. I have put a different WPA password on both.

When I access either of them on my netbook i can still go to 192.168.1.254 and access the router config. I can see both passwords public and private and can change them if I wish!

How can I stop someone on my premises who I have given a password to just messing with my router?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Setup a login password to the router (they all support this), and don't set it the same to the wireless key.

In lots of the routers as well you can set that management access is restricted to a specific single IP, or to a specific network range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Changing the password should be somewhere under administration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Much obliged.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also to make things slightly more awkward you could change the address of the router to something less common than the Eircom default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

dub45 wrote: »
    Also to make things slightly more awkward you could change the address of the router to something less common than the Eircom default.

Don't think it would be of much use. Anyone with a clue could see from an ifconfig or similar what the gateway ip is.

• Advertisement

Thanks, might make it slightly more difficult for someone accessing from a phone or similar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get two wireless routers

and connect the WAN ports of each to the internet connection
    connect the LAN ports of one to the business LAN

this means the LAN port of the Public wifi can't connect to the business network on the LAN port of the private wifi and visa versa

of course you would have to connect to the public lan to modify it's settings

Public - [LAN WAN] --- [Intenet thingymabob] --- [WAN LAN] --- Private

Thanks. I actually have an old router from eircom from a previous address (it's one of the older ones with 2 wireless antennae) so I might try this out.

Advertisement