Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass traffic survey in progress

Options
  • 06-11-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Galway CoCo seem to be doing a city wide survey on traffic. The 2 black lines / tubes across the road seem to be laid across the city (they are used for traffic flow calculations), hopefully trying to sort out the city jams that are developing across the city these days..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

They normally do this to survey the number of cars etc in the city, info goes into ntr so they can set future tolls like the one that will be on the Gort to Tuam motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Galway CoCo seem to be doing a city wide survey on traffic. The 2 black lines / tubes across the road seem to be laid across the city (they are used for traffic flow calculations), hopefully trying to sort out the city jams that are developing across the city these days..

chances are they will come to the conclusion "Traffic is bad", and that is all that will come of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Doom wrote: »
    They normally do this to survey the number of cars etc in the city, info goes into ntr so they can set future tolls like the one that will be ob Gort to Tuam motorway

Don't be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I love your optimism, Man. I have seen these as well and it is a good idea by someone to do this exercise to get the raw data but trust me, when this data is to be interpreted by the human beings (I'd say most of them are) in charge of formalizing this in to practical changes...well.

This is how it works
    http://www.businessballs.com/images/treeswing/treeswing-copy-softwarebook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Doom wrote: »
    They normally do this to survey the number of cars etc in the city, info goes into ntr so they can set future tolls like the one that will be on the Gort to Tuam motorway

The M 17 is too far away to make much difference to morning / evening traffic in Galway.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

GCC install some traffic monitoring equipment and people jump that it's NTR or the incompetence of the council behind this nefarious activity. what are ye on? it might just be possible that they're monitoring traffic usage and density. then again, Area51 must have something to do with it!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

hopefully trying to sort out the city jams that are developing across the city these days..

These days?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are these barometers able to measure cyclists as well?
    Less weight, two wheels but still leave an impact on the tubes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Being done all over the country! Cork on the main road into the city and I'm sure I saw them somewhere around Dublin during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The data will most likely be used to determine how often road maintenance will need to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

paulhannon wrote: »
    These days?

true :D its always been bad but its getting worse with the slightest road work causing mayhem. lights at cookes cross went out last wk and the headford rd backed up !!

Advertisement