Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck Fillet

Options
  • 06-11-2010 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Last week and this week when I cook a duck fillet, it's overcooked on the outside.

It's very hard on the outside, but soft on the inside.

I though maybe cover it with tinfoil or rub some olive oil on it and cover it in tinfoil, but my mother says no, just put it in the over, with no oil/no tinfoil as if it's covered with tinfoil/oil it will stew.

Is she right?

They are plain fillets, there is no sauce/spices on them.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Is the skin/fat still on?

If so do this. Make light scores on the skin side, about half way though the fat but make sure not to go as deep as the meat!

put the duck, skin side down, onto a very hot pan with no oil and just leave it there for about 10 minutes. The fat will melt out from the skin and the skin will go very crispy. When you can start to see the sides of the fillet cooking (ie turning from red to brown about 1 third of the way up) flip in onto the flesh side and cook for a further 90 seconds or so. Remove, leave to rest for 5 - 10 minutes somewhere warm and then serve. Will be beautiful and pink in the middle and the skin will be lovely and crispy and brown.

WARNING: If you don't let it rest all of the juices will bleed out of it when you cut it, resting is an essential part of the cooking process and ensures you get the best possible flavour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thank you for your help.
    Will be beautiful and pink in the middle and the skin will be lovely and crispy and brown.
    Does this mean it won't be well cooked in the middle? Like in this pic:

lavender-duck-2.JPG

I'd prefer it to be well cooked tbh.

If want it "well done" put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 180 after the previous instructions. Again, you want to let it rest afterwards.

Thank you for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

You will ruin a duck by overcooking it.

Just try what Seaneh says. about 30 seconds before you take the duck from the pan, cover it with honey and soy sauce and flip the duck in the sauce.

Then serve it with skinny green beans that have been boiled with salted water for a minute and crushed roasted hazelnuts!!

Quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I OBJECT STRONGLY TO THIS THREAD....REALLY I DO....:mad:

****I've heard lemon juice does a good job of breaking down the fat***:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

We wont eat your avatar!

Thanks for the replies/suggestions everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't stress the resting part enough.
    It will be like old boots if you don't let it rest for at least 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Why is resting so important, in general? Not just for duck, but for beef and most meats I guess. What does it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

When cooking the meat/duck etc, you're putting it under stress, so it tenses up like a muscle. Leaving it to rest allows the meat to relax, thus making it less tough

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

When cooking the meat/duck etc, you're putting it under stress, so it tenses up like a muscle. Leaving it to rest allows the meat to relax, thus making it less tough

I never knew that! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Can I suggest to you that you start your duck breast on a cold pan skin down. I believe that the duck grease should be released slowly. This goes against the normal way of starting or sealing meats. After the grease has been released, pour into a container and can be used in your sauce , continue cooking if you like it pink, if you like it well done place it in a very hot oven for a few minutes maybe get a food probe to help you get it right.
    Leave a side or rest (meat relaxes after the muscle tightens up during cooking)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

According to a few books I've read, a duck breast should NOT be placed on a hot pan. It crisps the skin too quickly and seals in the fat under the skin.
    Ideally you should score the skin, place it skin side down on a cold pan and allow the pan to come to heat. This way the fat slowly melts under the skin and renders out. You should pour this off while still cooking the duck as it will soften the skin and prevent it from turning crisp. Save the poured off fat for potatoes or whatever you want to cook in it. Hope this helps.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    According to a few books I've read, a duck breast should NOT be placed on a hot pan. It crisps the skin too quickly and seals in the fat under the skin.

Once you score it, the fat will melt out.

It's all swings and round-a-bouts really.

Advertisement