Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mech. eng. masters

Options
  • 06-11-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

hi guys,
    just wondering does anyone know anything bout this?

i said i'd throw it out to the boardies before i approach the course directors with stupid questions haha

apparently its a fifth year on the course that gives you essentially a BEng. in CAED and a masters in Mech (or so i've been told).
    i'm in 1st year Eng. Choice at the minute just weighing up my options for next year (and further on etc).

so,
    will this extra year earn me chartered status too?
    is it going to be worth my while?
    is there much point in doing advanced CAD and CFD?
    am i wasting my time looking at both the CAED and Mech qualifications?

any advice/opinions/ insider knowledge much appreciated.

shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

hi guys,
    just wondering does anyone know anything bout this?

i said i'd throw it out to the boardies before i approach the course directors with stupid questions haha

apparently its a fifth year on the course that gives you essentially a BEng. in CAED and a masters in Mech (or so i've been told).
    i'm in 1st year Eng. Choice at the minute just weighing up my options for next year (and further on etc).

so,
    will this extra year earn me chartered status too?
    is it going to be worth my while?
    is there much point in doing advanced CAD and CFD?
    am i wasting my time looking at both the CAED and Mech qualifications?

any advice/opinions/ insider knowledge much appreciated.

shane

hi shane i am a 3rd year mechanical engineer on coop at the moment .

the masters course will be very inportant to your year as the B Eng course has been diluted over the last 2 years .ye now only do (5 modules a semester where as my year has to do 6)to bring it in line with the ECTS Credit system .

i'm not sure whether it will earn you your chartered status as i have never investigated the process my self .

in regards to the CAD V CFD it is hard to say which you will make more use of it all depends on what your are going to do after college . also there is feck all difference between the CAED course and the Mec Eng course so i wouldn't be to worried about that part of the masters .

To be honest this choice is a few years a head of you and will be determined by the circumstances you are in at the time i would wate till after coop to make the choice as you will have a much better idea of what you want to do after you spend a few weeks out in industry and get a feel for what you will be doing after coop

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I'm doing it at the moment. You don't automatically become a chartered engineer after completing it. It takes a minimum of four years after qualification to become chartered. The masters will allow you to become a registered ordinary member of Engineers Ireland however, which you won't be able to become with your level 8 degree.

To be honest, I find the course kind of annoying because its like going back doing fourth year all over again. I basically have to do the fluids stream in the masters instead of the solids stream I did in fourth year, plus a few extra subjects. As mayo lad said, the BEng has become a bit diluted so maybe you might cover modules in the masters which I would have already done during my degree.

The CAED and mech courses are very similar so you shouldn't have a problem switching between the two. A degree on CAED and a masters in mech would look well on a CV imo.

Its still a long way away for you though. Its really only something to think about when you're in fourth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

thanks for the replies guys,
    i know its a bit down the line alright just trying to sort it in my head.
    ya its easy to swap between mech and CAED untill the end of second yr then they diverge more from eachother.
    i didnt realise its only 5 modules a semester from jan till the end of the degree, thought that was just a second semester thing.
    (i'm doing 6 at the minute but its dropping to 5 next semester)

looking at the different courses theres ~6 different modules between mech and CAED,
    so would it not be a good idea to do the masters anyway where most of the differences are covered?(money no object, all things being equal etc etc)

thanks again
    shane

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

It would be good to do the masters if you want to cover more mechanical stuff. It really depends on if you want to spend another year in college after you finish.

Advertisement