Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an ombudman organisation for this?

Options
  • 06-11-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Basically i have a problem with O2 .
    I have a pre-paid mobile and 'had' an O2 e-mail address which was de-activated by utter incompetence by their staff after a call to their customer care.
    Long and short of it not having a computer or broadband this e-mail function on my mobile was a necessity for me.
    They now deny any record of my call and say they don't do e-mail set ups anymore.
    Anyway i am making an official complaint to them using names and dates etc etc.
    However if they reply that they can't help or take any responsibility for their mess again i was just wondering if their is any ombudsman organisation in ireland i can at least threaten to contact if not actually contact so they can take me seriously?

In the uk i think its 'ofcom' but in ireland i fear there is no such organisation.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

I have always found mobile phone compeny helpline staff to be useless when it comes to problems with email and the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Comreg

The email facility is/was a free complimentary service though, and they're probably entitled to withdraw it at will. I can't see you getting anywhere with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

jor el wrote: »
    Comreg

The email facility is/was a free complimentary service though, and they're probably entitled to withdraw it at will. I can't see you getting anywhere with this.

Thanks mate.

I'm not to knowlegable myself about this but i'm sure if its their fault , the least they can do is offer some alternative.
    The fact that they (including a team leader) bare faced lied to me that the conversation even took place riles me.
    Faceless corporporate Ireland.
    I've never came across a company that size lie to a customer that way before. Its the little man's right to make them at least work and explain for their disgracefull conduct. As far as i can see they are paid soley to fob people off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In the uk i think its 'ofcom' but in ireland i fear there is no such organisation.

OFCOM isn't a ombudsman service in the UK, OFCOM is a regulator.
    Otelo and CISAS are ombudsman services in the UK for energy and telecom sectors.

Ireland has Comreg as a regulator but it has no ombudsman services for the telecoms industry

As for making a complaint regarding the e-mail service, well I can't see you having much luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Thanks mate.

I'm not to knowlegable myself about this but i'm sure if its their fault , the least they can do is offer some alternative.
    The fact that they (including a team leader) bare faced lied to me that the conversation even took place riles me.
    Faceless corporporate Ireland.
    I've never came across a company that size lie to a customer that way before. Its the little man's right to make them at least work and explain for their disgracefull conduct. As far as i can see they are paid soley to fob people off.

most businesses these days will tell you what you want to hear .... so you can go away..... customer service is disgraceful these days in general....but thats because wasters ruined it by suing if a company did something wrong...and the courts passed out huge monies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes, my O2 email account was "silently" removed.
    Excuse: "You have not used it for while"

If it's not used it's costing them nothing! I had it set up on my phone for "emergency" use.

Nothing really can be done. I have my own domain* on hosting with its own Web Mail and POP mail and forwarding options now.
    It's the only solution for a permenant email address. If the hosting supplier dies, you can host the domain someplace else. About €8 a year for a domain. Decent Hosting is under €40 a year and better idea for (legal) sharing of files or photos to friends etc as you can password protect.
    You can even run your own blog or website.

[* Actually I have a number of domains now for different purposes! all on one Hosting, just alias to a subdomain of original Domain ]

Cabaal wrote: »
    OFCOM isn't a ombudsman service in the UK, OFCOM is a regulator.
    Otelo and CISAS are ombudsman services in the UK for energy and telecom sectors.

Ireland has Comreg as a regulator but it has no ombudsman services for the telecoms industry

Yea looking at the Comreg website . This does appear to be the case. It just means that these companies don't have to take any responsibility at all i suppose.
    If im honest i think id have been fobbed off there too anyway.

watty wrote: »

Nothing really can be done. I have my own domain* on hosting with its own Web Mail and POP mail and forwarding options now.
    It's the only solution for a permenant email address. If the hosting supplier dies, you can host the domain someplace else. About €8 a year for a domain. Decent Hosting is under €40 a year and better idea for (legal) sharing of files or photos to friends etc as you can password protect.

[* Actually I have a number of domains now for different purposes! all on one Hosting, just alias to a subdomain of original Domain ]

Thanks watty.

I take it that you have set all this up on your computer. Have you extended this method to your phone at all?

My problem is that my new accomadation dosn't have a phone line . It dosn't have broadband compatability either(too remote).

Im soley dependant on my phone(im using it to write this). The local internet cafe closed recently and the nearest library is 30 miles away.

I imagine that i would have to host my own domain from a computer but id gladly do it if i could do it on my mobile and pay a subscription as well.

I rang 02 originally to ask if i could change the name part of my e-mail address. They said yea that they would deactivate it and i could then reactivate it the next day and change my e-mail address.

I wouldn't mind but i had specifically asked them if this would harm my e-mail.

Id still have it now if i had made the decision not to trust them or even ring them for that matter. They don't know anything.

I need an engine part from a breakes yard for my car at the moment but i can't send a picture of it cause my phone dosn't have a pop- server any more .

O2 didn't even understand this when i tried to explain.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You don't need your own computer to setup your own domain for e-mail, you can register any domain you want and set it up easily to work with gmail.com, you then use gmail as normal and can easily set this up on a mobile.

As long as you pay for your domain you'll always have the same e-mail address.

For example I bought one of my domains in 1998 and have the same e-mail address on it since then yet I've changed mobile providers, ISP's and e-mail providers like yahoo, gmail etc loads of times :)

watty wrote: »
    yes, my O2 email account was "silently" removed.
    Excuse: "You have not used it for while"

If it's not used it's costing them nothing! I had it set up on my phone for "emergency" use.

Cabaal wrote: »
    You don't need your own computer to setup your own domain for e-mail, you can register any domain you want and set it up easily to work with gmail.com, you then use gmail as normal and can easily set this up on a mobile.

As long as you pay for your domain you'll always have the same e-mail address.

For example I bought one of my domains in 1998 and have the same e-mail address on it since then yet I've changed mobile providers, ISP's and e-mail providers like yahoo, gmail etc loads of times :)

Thank you Cabaal .

I will look to do this asap .
    Can you please tell me is this generally expenisive to do. Or do you find it a reasonably priced subscription?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Thank you Cabaal .

I will look to do this asap .
    Can you please tell me is this generally expenisive to do. Or do you find it a reasonably priced subscription?
    Thanks

Get yourself a domain via a place like http://www.blacknight.com/ or www.godaddy.com, domains are less then 10e a year for the likes of a .com.

Thank you again Cabaal.
    This forum is priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If im honest i think id have been fobbed off there too anyway.

From a number of personal dealings with Comreg, I would say you're right. They haven't got much power to regulate, and the only thing they'll really do is ask the teleco to look into the issue for you. The teleco is then free to fob you off in any way they like.

Your own domain is a great way to set up an email that you're guaranteed never to lose (as long as you pay the small annual registration fee of course). You can also set up emails for family and friends on it too, which is also handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jor el wrote: »
    From a number of personal dealings with Comreg, I would say you're right. They haven't got much power to regulate, and the only thing they'll really do is ask the teleco to look into the issue for you. The teleco is then free to fob you off in any way they like.

Your own domain is a great way to set up an email that you're guaranteed never to lose (as long as you pay the small annual registration fee of course). You can also set up emails for family and friends on it too, which is also handy.

Bear in mind you still need somewhere to host it.
    Google is about the best setup i've found

Advertisement