Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you stop buying Christmas pressies for nephews and neices

Options
  • 06-11-2010 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

I would like to ask when do you stop buying xmas pressies for nephers and neices?
    Mine are all reaching early 20s and are working while in college.
    I don't want to appear to be scrooge like but I feel they are well able to stand on their own two feet and don't need pressies from me.
    I am single and have 12 n&n's. None of whom ever buy me a pressie for my birthday or for christmas.
    I would welcome comments from other posters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Ditch them.
    I suppose im coming from the other point of view where im that kind of age you talk about with aunties who still buy me pressies.
    Not that im ungrateful for them or anything its just i cant afford to get them all something and as well as that im not really particularly close to any of them. So to be honest i would prefer if they didnt get me anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Tbh, unless you're close to them or normally buy each other presents I'd leave it.
    I've only got 4 cousins, and then there's 4 'kids' in our family, and I think the only person who still gets something is my youngest cousin who is about 15 now. My aunts & dad used to pitch in and each cousin would get 50 quid from 'the family'. We don't get that anymore as most of us are 18 & up.

If they still live at home you can always buy a present for the family they're in, like a tin of sweets or something. It's not bad to not buy them something if they're older and ye aren't close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I don't think my mum ever did it with my cousins - she just couldnt afford presents for everyone i'd say so she just made an agreement with my aunts and uncles i guess that we wouldnt do christmas gifts - and it's not like we're close....i'd say unless you are very close to them don't bother - just gently suggest that maybe it's about time you give up all this gift giving at christmas

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

A few years ago my mam (who has 5 siblings) suggested the aunts and uncles do a Kris Kindle for the neices and nephews. So, every year since they picked 3 names each out of a hat and only bought pressies for those 3 kids. That way, each child got a present, and not a big pile of junk they'd never use. We were pretty happy with the result :D. The oldest 2 (who would have been >17) were left out to make things even, and I don't think they minded.

I certainly don't expect presents from my aunts on my dad's side of the family anymore, and I'm 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

18 id say.
    and if you feel guilty give them just a card and maybe a scratch card. But getting them presents in the 20's is a bit weird i think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

As soon as they start secondary school, that's when I stopped getting presents from aunts anyway and I never got presents from uncles. This was around the same time I stopped wanting them anyway as it had always been things that were completely age inapproptriate anyway for a year or two before that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you if you are close to them then you could buy them something cheap that shows you care - it could be a joke present , ween them out of presents rather than a sudden stop

how is your relation ship with the parents ?

Advertisement